Search results

1. Martin

Best Movie Explosion Audio

Last night I watched Equalizer 3 and the car bomb explosion caught me off guard. The impact on my 7.2 system was palpable. Well rendered explosive sounds in movies are great fun. Rarely is one so memorable as this one. I remember the seismic charge scene in Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones...
  2. Martin

Stabat Mater - Windborne - Mont-Saint-Michel

I didn't know where to put this so I'll just drop it into its own thread. This video, recorded live in the refectory at Mont Saint-Michel, was created on an iPhone using its built in microphone. I find it soul stirring. Martin
  3. Martin

Star Trek: Picard

WARNING - SPOILERS Star Trek: Picard ended on a high note. Great way to say good-bye to the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew. But it turns out the final episode of Picard ended as the zeroth episode of Star Trek: The Next, Next Generation. Captain Seven, Raffi as number one, counselor Jack...
  4. Martin

Topping E70 Velvet Returned to Apos

It is on the left... (That’s the protective film peeling off the front.) As new, used only for testing, Topping E70 Velvet DAC. Truly state of the art AK4499EX based DAC. RETURNED TO APOS Includes everything that came in the original package.
  5. Martin

Topping DX7 Pro $OLD

Topping DX7 Pro Gently used, great sounding and measuring DAC and balanced headphone amp. Issues: OLED screen burn-in (see photo) Rotary encoder sometimes acts like a random number generator when used for volume. Volume control works perfectly with remote. Sale includes original packaging...
  6. Martin

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

Very interesting. Not available near me yet but I signed up on the waitlist. Martin
  7. Martin

Music You Strongly Dislike (Just For Fun)

There seem to be plenty of threads on favorite music: best female/male vocalists, best songs by era, discovered artists, well recorded, favorite this or that... but I've seen no threads on music you hate, or dislike if hate is too strong a word. Something you will turn off if it starts playing...
  8. Martin

Brendan Fraser and The Whale

Brendan Fraser rightly won the Oscar for best actor last night. I watched The Whale last weekend. The movie and Fraser's acting moved me tremendously. The director, Darren Aronofsky, and writer, Samuel D. Hunter, should have shared in the accolades. Aronofsky and Hunter expertly manipulated the...
  9. Martin

House Of The Dragon

I’ve been watching Game Of Thrones House Of The Dragon and have come to realize that garbage like this results when a writer just doesn’t give a shit any more. George R. R. Martin should have finished the sixth book in the A Song Of Ice and Fire series years ago but instead he succumbed to greed...
  10. Martin

My Nomination for Best Picture of 2023, and it stars Ray Liotta!

No further comment necessary... Martin
  11. Martin

DAC for Benchmark HPA4

I finally bought a Benchmark HPA4. ($1700 on eBay!) I’m using it with my Topping DX7 Pro. I’m thinking about replacing the DX7 Pro, not for any performance reason, it’s just that I no longer need the headphone amp in the DX7 Pro. Give me your recommendation. Martin
  12. Martin

The Man Who Fell To Earth

I’ve watched the first two episodes on Showtime and I’m loving it so far. Several laugh out loud scenes in episode 1 and Chiwetel Ejiofor’s acting have me hooked. I also make it a point to seek out the David Bowie episode title song video on YouTube after I watch each episode. Martin
  13. Martin

Atma-Sphere Class D GaNFET Amplifiers

Atma-Sphere showed new class D GaNFET monoblock amplifiers at this weekend's Florida Audio Expo. I did not attend as I did not want to tempt myself into spending more money. I am very happy with my system now and already know which components I will be changing out. I borrowed these images from...
  14. Martin

Bose adds customizable EQ to its QuietComfort 45 headphones

https://www.engadget.com/bose-quietcomfort-45-adjustable-eq-update-170903799.html Interesting. I wonder how customizable it is? Martin
  15. Martin

SOLD: Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE $2,000.00 OBO

Selling my beloved Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE (Hovland Special Edition) speakers. I am the second owner. They have been lovingly cared for but the left one has quite a few picks and a small hole in the left front of the bass module's sock where my cat got to it. (see photo) I kept them...
  16. Martin

Leviathan Falls

Leviathan Falls, the final book in the Expanse series, has just been released. I preordered it months ago and just received it today. James S. A. Corey - aka Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck - created a universe like no other. Hard science fiction with a strong human factor. I've been reading the...
  17. Martin

RIP Sir Frank Williams

A legend has passed: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-legendary-f1-team-boss-sir-frank-williams-dies-aged-79.mCPM4nj5n62elIhFoPhtv.html Martin
  18. Martin

Speaker Recommendations Please

I am looking at state of the art speakers in the $10k per pair range for my main stereo system which is in a typically sized suburban American dining room which opens to the living room. I know of nowhere I can demo these speakers hence the poll. Thanks, Martin
  19. Martin

AES/EBU vs Analog XLR Input

I am considering purchasing a pair of Genelec (8351B or 8361A) speakers based upon recent reviews by @amirm. I note that these speakers have both digital AES/EBU and analog XLR inputs. I am wondering if there are any inherent advantages or disadvantages toward using one input over the other? I...
  20. Martin

Cassette?

I've been ordering new music recently and noticed an odd trend. Every site I've visited recently is offering cassette tapes alongside LPs, CDs and downloads. Some examples: https://shop.aurora-music.com/ https://shop.adele.com/ https://usstore.edsheeran.com/music-1.html...
Top Bottom