Search results

1. Pinox67

Is high-resolution audio audible or not audible and a waste of data?

I have found several sites, articles and tests on the web in which it is claimed that the CD quality music distribution format, 16bit/44KHz, is more than sufficient to preserve practically all the characteristics of the sound compared to higher resolution formats. 24bit/sample and higher sample...
  2. Pinox67

THD Measurement: Do it represent the actual nonlinear harmonic distortion?

As part of a study of the effects of non-linear distortions in amplifiers, I came across an aspect that left me a little perplexed. This is the way in which the THD value (and also the IMD and TD+N) of the data collected by the standard measurements is calculated. Measurement of distortions in...
  3. Pinox67

Physics and perception of low-order nonlinear distortions

Introduction In the engineering of electronic devices for music production or reproduction all designers are faced with the problem of minimizing the different forms of distortion inexorably introduced by their creations on the audio signal. They are commonly classified into two categories...
  4. Pinox67

Gryphon Mono Preamplifier by 2R (vintage) Review

Below is a review of this high-end '90s preamp from a (lucky) friend. BUILD The Mono Preamplifier has an excellent build quality, perfectly in line with the philosophy of this prestigious Danish brand. It is worth mentioning that all Gryphon products are designed and manufactured in Denmark...
  5. Pinox67

Study of the effects of Nonlinear Distortion on the Perceived Sound Quality

Introduction As a hi-fi enthusiast for many years I have always tried to deepen the themes underlying sound reproduction and psychoacoustics. For the latter topic, some time ago I came across the interesting book (on line here) "Premium Home Theater - Design & Construction" by Earl Geddes &...
  6. Pinox67

Anthem AVM60 Review (a second test)

Intrigued by Amirm's review of Anthem AVM60 A/V processor and having one unit available, I tried my hand at making quickly some measurements, to see where they fit together or not. I state that these results are very good, even if they are obtained in a less stressful situation. Amirm’s...
  7. Pinox67

Focal Aria 900 series: Amp load measurement

Some weeks ago, I helped a friend to set up its home theatre. He had to choose the best loudspeakers mix of different brands, some “home made”. Not an easy task. Among listening tests and calibrations, I made also some basic measurements and comparison with mine, based one Focal Aria 900 series...
  8. Pinox67

Threshold FET Ten/e HL (vintage) Preamplifier Review

I share with this post a review of the vintage Threshold FET Ten/e High Level preamplifier. This is a thirty years old model, built in the late 1980s by the legendary Nelson Pass and considered a reference by many sources. I tried to discover why, via measurements in different working conditions...
  9. Pinox67

Threshold FET Nine/e (vintage) Preamplifier Review

I share in this post the review of a vintage preamplifier, the Threshold FET Nine/e. A project by the genius of Nelson Pass, thirty years old; price was about $2500.Thus, this is not a review for a “news”; however data below could be useful to make comparisons with modern preamplifiers. This...
Top Bottom