Search results

1. S

Vandersteen 2C Klippel data by "hardisj"

I took my Vandersteen 2C to forum member @hardisj aka Erin of Erin's Audio Corner and left them for a month or so for him to play around with them and test them with his Klippel. Super nice guy. Anyway, I know a lot of people were curious how they would test. Here is a link to all his testing...
  2. S

HOW can bigger amp change sound at lower volume?

For example, I have inefficient Dahlquist DQ10's that everyone says you need 200wpc amp to get the best sound out of them (irregardless of overall listening volume)....it seems like the overall amp wattage is only relative to overall volume capability. Like a given listening volume (say 60db)...
  3. S

Anyone using a Unraid server?

I very recently built a Unraid server and am fixing to load all my music on it and integrate it into my 2 channel audio system. I'm looking at various Unraid dockers and trying to figure out the best approach. I am a Tidal subscriber so Roon looks good since it incorporates Tidal and would let...
  4. S

Asus x99 Deluxe II audio quality??

Does anyone have input regarding the onboard sound quality of the Asus x99 Deluxe II as compared to the Yamaha wxc-50? I'm trying to determine which I should let to the d/a converting. Here is info on the onboard sound..... Realtek® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring...
  5. S

Is there a difference between toslink and digital coax?

Trying to decide which way to feed music to a Yamaha wxc-50. I can go Toslink or digital coax. I would just test it but I have to buy a 15' cable in one or the other. Just thought I'd get a consensus on if one type is better than the other. I'll be playing high res flac as well as Tidal master...
  6. S

I might build a NAS/media server. Would you use this???

So I have this old HTPC from I dont know, maybe 2006 or so but unused in at least 10years. It's missing the door that covered the DVD drive.... but I dug it out of storage to see how many hdd's would fit in it. To my surprise it appears that you can mount 4-6 hard drives in here! I'm...
  7. S

Media server vs NAS

You can skip all this long winded vomit....my question is.....So can I build a fairly quiet raid media server for say $500 (the price of a good capable used nas)?? I can source used stuff like case, etc. May even have a old case laying around. As opposed to snagging a good performing 4k...
  8. S

Questions about going Raspberry Pi 4 direction

Hey guys, please excuse my ignorance about all this....its new to me and I'm trying to figure it all out. Currently I have a Yamaha wxc-50 with a phono pre going into it via analog rca and I like that I can bluetooth my phone to it and play anything on my phone such as YouTube, Tidal, etc. It...
  9. S

What does it take to manage 8TB of music?

I'm not sure the best direction to take but here is my ultimate goal...... I need to store around 6tb - 8TB of music, need to play it through my Yamaha wxc-50 which can connect to a network attached drive (such as a standard 1TB portable USB drive plugged into my router), also can connect via...
  10. S

Easiest way to play music from usb hard drive???

I have a lot of music on a 2TB USB hard drive and want to add more too it. What is the easiest way for multiple family members to use this? Is there something like a music app everyone can put on their phone and see the drive if I attach it to our wifi router? My kids play music off their...
  11. S

How do these APT Holman preamp tests look?

I noticed some years back Ken Rockwell tested a APT Holman preamp. He did several tests of the phono stage and RIAA curve. Anyone up for looking through his tests and giving insight regarding how the APT phono stage compares to the Cambridge Audio Duo that is tested here? These tests are all...
  12. S

Can you guys help me decide on a Phono Pre?

My setup is just for vinyl, I'm most likely going to just run the phono right into the amp I'm getting (which has level controls on the front) or maybe put a Yamaha wxc-50 between the phono pre and amp since the wxc-50 has a aux in/out that apparently does nothing to the sound, but allow volume...
Top Bottom