Search results

1. DSJR

Audio Note speakers

So can a Hacker, B&O or Roberts vintage FM portable radio if heard at lowish volumes in isolation from a proper sound system with more extended response ;)
  2. DSJR

Audio Note speakers

I think it's the psychology involved. I can enjoy a record playing session via a really decent player/pickup (haven't done so for a very long time though) where I and others accept the flaws, surface noise at times and so on, but you see, thirty five years back I tried hard to cobble vinyl...
  3. DSJR

Audio Note speakers

As an aside sir, he may design nice valve amps, but he needs to site that Rega deck better and lord knows if in that picture, the speakers are decoupled from the unit its sitting on, feeding back lovely (not) bass vibrations into the turntable. yes I know it's probably a staged pic to show the...
  4. DSJR

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Regarding threaded holes for feet or spikes which may well have been a UK thing which started forty odd years ago? - It was commonplace for makers to fit plinths of sorts to the bottom of the carcasses into which the spikes or feet were screwed - Here's a couple I've just pulled off the...
  5. DSJR

Making thick RCA cables

Speaker wire is one thing - and perfect in the right gauge for car and home audio TO SPEAKERS. Low signal level cables such as typical RCA leads, need a cable with central conductor and a shield around it. they are also used in car systems, but not between amp and speakers but possibly between...
  6. DSJR

Making thick RCA cables

Hope not, but you never know...
  7. DSJR

Making thick RCA cables

A little anecdote... Keeping with screened 'coaxial' cables here... twenty odd years ago, a chap gave us some VERY THIN coax cables to try as audio interconnect. The thickness was similar to the internal 'wifi aerial cables' inside a typical laptop of old, so around 1.2mm external thickness...
  8. DSJR

Making thick RCA cables

You have speaker wire pictured, which is totally unsuitable for RCA line level connections really. RCA cables need a proper coax cable with shield as a return (I'm trying to keep it simple here)
  9. DSJR

New phono cart needed

A VM95 was my choice too. The ML tip has a life and 'vitality' to its reproduction 'tone' which is great if you also use and enjoy digital sources, but if you're used to a duller balance it may be too much (I remain a fan of the old fashioned Sumiko Pearl and its newer styled/tipped but related...
  10. DSJR

The 67-year-old hearing test results! You need hearing aids.

Sad to say - Join the club... My bad is severe in the mid kHz region with a very partial recovery over 7khz - speakers in a well carpeted and heavily furnished room to me sounded dull but with some 'tinsel' on top pre hearing aids. A lively dem room I'm familiar with was fine for sound...
  11. DSJR

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

Assuming the test record is okay and acceptable, I'd say the Soundsmith has a few dB more at the extremes than the B&O original did! NOT suggesting it's an issue at all, just noting.. B&O originals could be tenperature sensitive and my previuous MMC 20E, EN and CL samples just don't 'do it ' in...
  12. DSJR

Understanding studio monitors

Do you have a dealer nearby with a 'speaker wall with comparator' (yes, I know, but bear with me here), which would allow you to briefly get an idea of a variety of different speaker models. I'm saying this, coming from single speaker (pair) dems, but we had several speakers set up for instant...
  13. DSJR

Mofi StudioPhono Stage Review

The 2M Red is as far as I can tell, a re-dressed OM10 and this latter, is a bit 'lively' and 'raw' with it to say the least. Still a fair choice at the price, but I'd love to do a comparison with the AT VM520 which I suspect is a touch more restrained possibly as it's AT110E ancestor was all...
  14. DSJR

Audio Note speakers

I 'owned' a pair of Snell E II or III's back in the mid 80's (they had the rear tweeter). This pair, on the 11" 'Pirate' stands as they were often sold with back then, sounded great in a free-field setting with the then UK-recommended and quite stylish Audio Innovations amps (edit - source was a...
  15. DSJR

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Mod away and have some fun - but I doubt it'd be sellable afterwards (eighty quid is peanuts to some I suppose so you can chuck it away if it doesn't work out - there is a cheaper slim version that I gather is broadly similar)... Dacs have got to the stage where you can buy with your eyes...
  16. DSJR

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

I'm not baiting but i need to ask this please - You claim to hear these differences. What we need to do now rather than talk about it as an opinion, is to find out of these differences really do exist (nulling software should help surely) and also to see the objective measurement changes if...
  17. DSJR

If you use dull cartridges such as Rega's home made examples (the cheap carbon is a 'poshed up' AT91), mid priced Sumiko or many modern Grado's, this MoFi box will help eq them just fine. Ortofon OM's seem to have an otherwise benign gentle rise over 10kHz and mid level AT's have a rise at...
  18. DSJR

Mofi use AT based MM cartridges don't they? These are not hugely high in output so the overload may well be ample here. RIAA is poor by today's example and it seems a lot of money for something like that - the Mani 2 seems a lot better and undercuts it...
  19. DSJR

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

I doubt Amir and Eric will get that apology @AudioSceptic unfortunately... Here's the page (again) of the TDL RTL2 series 1 measurements. We sold a heck of a lot of these and for their short stature, they 'sounded' wonderfully judged (best of the range if max volume wasn't an issue) and...
  20. DSJR

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

Oi..... Have you forgotten the hill-n-dale responses of your Focals? Doesn't stop you seriously enjoying them though, does it? :D I bet the upper midrange bump in these is gone when they're sited close-to-wall and then, a gentle-ish slope on the tweeter isn't really an issue with the kind of...
Top Bottom