Search results

1. T

Preamp - thoughts

I have been on the look out for a pre-amp for my main system to partner with my NAD M23 power amp, I would be using with two sources, Cambridge Audio CD player and a Holo Cyan 2 DAC. Currently I am using a Topping pre90, which is good, but it was only supposed to be a temporary arrangement, and...
  2. T

New streamer – Cambridge Audio CXN100, a few questions…

Hello all! I have just purchased a new dedicated streamer for my main stereo, a Cambridge Audio CXN100. I want to use it primarily with Roon (via wired ethernet), Qobuz directly and the odd CD. I have a question about whether to use the CXN as a pre-amp, and other few odd questions too. I have...
  3. T

Second hand amp or all in one, recommendatons...

Hi there - One of my children is showing an interest in hifi and I am keen to encourage it. They will need the ability to play CDs in their room. An old CD player I have, along with some smaller speakers currently in my loft, but I don't have an amplifier. Is there any suggestions for a second...
  4. T

AVForums podcast: objective vs subjective debate

At around the 60min mark in one of the AVforums podcasts (see link to podcast #696) there is some discussion on the objective vs subjective debate. Some interesting points and I thought some people might be interested in having a listen.
  5. T

Streamer with roon, plex and qobuz

Hi there I am currently using a raspberry pi4 running rasberry pi OS and Roon RAAT, so i use it as a roon endpoint. Its wired, so ethernet in, and USB out to my Topping D90 DAC. I have been looking for a streamer that has Roon endpoint functionality, can run Qobuz directly and can operate as a...
  6. T

High volume incident, looking for reason/s

Hi there, I have not called this a "Max volume" incident, but it felt it at the time as it frightened the life out of me! I think, in retrospect, it was only high volume, or jump in volume rather than max. The kit seems OK, but I don't want this happening again, so I am keen to understand why...
  7. T

Sub died, so what now?

My Monitor Audio Bronze W10 subwoofer just died and I thought of subwoofer comparison list! Looking at the comparison list, I am a bit intimidated, and, I am not sure where to start!! I have not given my AV set-up much thought recently. I have a mix of Monitor Audio Silver Front and Centre with...
  8. T

System planning, pre-amp, DAC etc...

I am considering my options for my main stereo set-up (this is the fun bit), I am basically wondering about adding a pre-amp to my setup whilst also thinking about room correction which could perhaps be done in the DAC/streamer etc. I am currently using a NAD M23 power amp, with a RME ADI-2 DAC...
  9. T

New amp for Kef Refence 1 speakers

I am moving some kit around, and I will be pulling my main amp (Musical Fidelity M6si) for use in another part of the house, which leaves a space in my main listening zone. This is a good excuse reason to look for a new amp. My system - I have two different sources, roon (wired) and a CD...
  10. T

An anxious audiophile

I am an anxious audiophile. I am always wondering about how I can improve my system or if I have made good choices with the kit I have already purchased. Although I do enjoy that aspect of the hobby, all the tinkering. Previously to finding this site, I would generally use subjective reviews...
  11. T

Gain mismatch? - When to use in-line attenuators?

Hi there, I have a Topping D90 DAC which feeds my Musical Fidelity M6si amplifier. There is a fairly small band on the volume control when the volume goes for fairly low to uncomfortably loud very quickly. When the volume control is set to around 9 o'clock its fairly quiet, you can talk but...
  12. T

To upsample or not...

Hello all! I have always been interested in hi-fi but I always feel I can benefit from a more technical understanding to underpin any usage or purchase choices I make. I think, over the years, I have based purchases on subjective reviews mainly, particularly from main stream press in the UK...
  13. T

Wondering about a subwoofer...

I have not had a sub in my main stereo set-up before, and I have been wondering whether I should give one a try. Just a bit on the current set-up - I currently have Kef Reference 1 speakers (love them), fed by Musical Fidelity M6si amp, fed by Topping D90. I am a roon user, and I use HQ Player...
  14. T

Upgrading amp internals

I have enjoyed reading the various purify threads and this lead me to read the thread around different opamps. I currently have a Musical Fidelity M6si (https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/m6series/m6si/) which I have had and enjoyed for a few years (connected to a Topping D90 via xlr into...
  15. T

Replacing perfectly good desktop speakers!

I am thinking about changing my desktop speakers. I admit that I don’t really need to, but, occasionally you get the ‘itch’ so I doing a little research to work out my options. Anyway, I am a Roon user and I have my Core on a NUC connected via cat 6b Ethernet cables around the house. I stream...
  16. T

Should I get another Topping D90 for desktop use or something else?

I have made a couple of comments on the D90 review thread, but I thought it might need its own thread. I have had a Topping D90 balanced DAC in my main system, being fed by a RPi4, running as a HQ Player Network Audio Endpoint (NAA). The DAC feeds a Musical Fidelity M6si amp via XLR which then...
  17. T

Where are all the dedicated streamer reviews?

I use a few Allo streamer products, a USBridge, a USBridge Sig, Digione. I also have a few Raspberry pi's, 3b and 4's. I have used various software, volumio, Dietpi, Ropieee, Gentooplayer. Its all a bit homebrew, so interesting to me, but I never know whether I am getting the best results, so I...
  18. T

New speaker cable - to bi-wire or not

I need to get some more speaker cable, the current cable is fine but not quite long enough. I have some Kef Reference 1's bookshelf speakers either side of a fireplace (running of a Musical Fidelity M6si, from a Topping D90). Currently I have to run the wire across the fireplace but I would like...
Top Bottom