• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are all the dedicated streamer reviews?

tonapo

I use a few Allo streamer products, a USBridge, a USBridge Sig, Digione. I also have a few Raspberry pi's, 3b and 4's. I have used various software, volumio, Dietpi, Ropieee, Gentooplayer. Its all a bit homebrew, so interesting to me, but I never know whether I am getting the best results, so I am always keeping my eyes open for good quality objective reviews.

I check into the site regularly, but I don't see many streamer reviews. Looking now under 'dedicated' streamers, I see 'only' six reviews, with the last one being July last year, 2019. Is it just me? Or is there a lack of streamers reviewed here? I am thinking any of the above, or say SMS 200 ultra, Sonore Optical Rendu or ultra Rendu's, the Project Stream Box S2 Ultra or a number of others.

Are there any more streamer reviews planned? I also interested in how any of the above streamers might compare to some of the big brands, so Naim, Cambridge Audio etc.

Its a great site, so I am not moaning, just a genuine question. Thanks for all the work!!

OP
T

tonapo

Its a strange one. I am still very much focussed on seperates, so if something changes, technology moves on, or, something breaks, I can replace just that part. So seperate streamers for me.

I would be very interested in how a cheaper RPI4 fairs as a dedicated streamer.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am more than happy with my Chromecast Audio. It was cheap, it is very convenient, and the optical digital output is bitperfect up to 24/96, i.e. more than I need. I would indeed not want to have an integrated unit with a fancy DAC and costing a lot when the technology/market moves so fast. In my case I use the optical output of the CCA into an RME ADI-2 DAC. The CCA in the bedroom system also uses the digital output, but into a small AVA Maestro 50 chip amplifier with just a digital input. In the past I also used the analogue output of the CCA, and I had no complaints.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Its a strange one. I am still very much focussed on seperates, so if something changes, technology moves on, or, something breaks, I can replace just that part. So seperate streamers for me.

I have 2 RPi4s

1. Bubble UPnP (streaming Qobuz) - RPi4 (running Moode) - DAC - HPA - headphones
2. RPi4 (running Volumio, accessed via Volumio UI on PC to stream Qobuz) - DAC - Desktop monitors

Both of these work really smoothly. The total set up cost for each RPi4 (including power supply and decent case) was around £60 GBP. They're very easy to set up and benefit from flexibility in terms of the software that you can run. Obviously I can also stream ripped flac files, whether stored on my PC or on the android device I use for Bubble UPnP.

One very happy RPi customer (and evangelist) here.

Completely agree on the separates thing. Fully accept that some people are after a single unit solution, but I rather like an excess of cables and a variety of mismatched boxes!

martin900

I also run RPi4's with Roopiee XL. Got both running in 20 minutes flat, no issues even with DSD512.

Taddpole

It's an area where I'd like to buy something but yeah the options seem limited and restricting.

RPI has it's attractions but seems to limit which music streaming services you can use and I'd like to keep options open.

Sukie

Forum Donor
RPI has it's attractions but seems to limit which music streaming services you can use and I'd like to keep options open.
Are we talking Amazon? If so then the problem lies with the Amazon rather than the RPi functionality or RPi software.

You can set up an RPi to work with Spotify, Tidal (not MQA), Qobuz, Deezer, Roon (not a streaming service - I know) and probably a few others. Plenty of choice but yes, not Amazon.

Taddpole

Are we talking Amazon? If so then the problem lies with the Amazon rather than the RPi functionality or RPi software.

You can set up an RPi to work with Spotify, Tidal (not MQA), Qobuz, Deezer, Roon (not a streaming service - I know) and probably a few others. Plenty of choice but yes, not Amazon.

Amazon was mainly in mind, but couldn't find Deezer Hifi either tbh and I think Qobuz and Tidal are added subscriptions.

And whilst I know it's down to Amazon being awkward it doesn't change that it doesn't work.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Amazon was mainly in mind, but couldn't find Deezer Hifi either tbh and I think Qobuz and Tidal are added subscriptions.

And whilst I know it's down to Amazon being awkward it doesn't change that it doesn't work.
I think you're probably right on Deezer, but Tidal and Qobuz do not require added subscriptions if you stream via UPnP. If you're using MyVolumio they do.

It's clear that Amazon want to use their own streaming solutions so we'll have to wait and see (Echo Link mk2???).

Taddpole

I think you're probably right on Deezer, but Tidal and Qobuz do not require added subscriptions if you stream via UPnP. If you're using MyVolumio they do.

It's clear that Amazon want to use their own streaming solutions so we'll have to wait and see (Echo Link mk2???).

That's good about upnp maybe I will have a play with a RPI then.

It is clear? Just seems like Amazon stumbling around not sure what they are doing to me, but you could well be right. An Amazon device like the Chromecast audio would be ok with me. An echo link 2 would have to be massive leap forward from the disappointing original and not sure it will be or that they'll integrate it properly. Still it was better than their attempt at a mobile phone I guess.

OP
T

tonapo

Its these different streamers, any of them really, which I would like to see tested.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Its these different streamers, any of them really, which I would like to see tested.
Apologies. I led us off on a tangent due to misunderstanding your 2nd post. I thought you were asking how a streaming set up would work with an RPi4, but your original post makes it clear that you already use a variety of RPis.

Are you asking this from a measurements point of view? I take it that you might be from
I use a few Allo streamer products, a USBridge, a USBridge Sig, Digione. I also have a few Raspberry pi's, 3b and 4's. I have used various software, volumio, Dietpi, Ropieee, Gentooplayer. Its all a bit homebrew, so interesting to me, but I never know whether I am getting the best results, so I am always keeping my eyes open for good quality objective reviews.
The problem is that the streaming part of the set up can't be measured from an audio performance point of view. Features and software reliability are important here, but we can all judge these things for ourselves. X streams Tidal but Y doesn't. X keeps crashing but Y doesn't etc.

Obviously the performance of the DAC can be reviewed in terms of objective measurements. But if you pair a fully functioning RPi (using software that provides you with what you want) with a well reviewed DAC, you will be getting the best results. I'm not convinced that any of the all-in-one solutions will give better results, unless you're looking to use MQA.

OP
T

tonapo

Are you asking this from a measurements point of view? I take it that you might be from

Yes, I do mean from a measurement point of view.

The problem is that the streaming part of the set up can't be measured from an audio performance point of view.

Thats interesting, I am not sure I can argue either way, I suppose I would be interested if any streamer was adding something it shouldnt be or similar. There maybe a better way to describe this.

unless you're looking to use MQA.

Thats brave! Mentioning the M-word in a thread. But no, I am not looking to do that.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve used a bunch, and focus on ergonomics would be good. I was an early purchaser of Orchard‘s product, and look forward to telling you about it. But honestly, I’ve gone Roon, it kills the many DLNA/UPNP/Volumio/MoOde and product-specific systems I’ve used.

OP
T

tonapo

I’ve used a bunch, and focus on ergonomics would be good. I was an early purchaser of Orchard‘s product, and look forward to telling you about it. But honestly, I’ve gone Roon, it kills the many DLNA/UPNP/Volumio/MoOde and product-specific systems I’ve used.

Me too. For me, its the best audio purchase I have ever made. Bar none. I still like to tinker a bit though.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I suppose I would be interested if any streamer was adding something it shouldnt be or similar. There maybe a better way to describe this.
The problem is that it's easy to get caught up in subjectivist hyperbole when assessing differences in sound.

We've heard claims about power supplies and other hardware related things making a difference, but no evidence (measurements or double-blind testing) seems to exist.

Also forums ate littered with people making software claims (Moode sounds better than Volumio or that both are no good in comparison to this or that). Again, no evidence that stands up.

I would be extremely surprised if anybody could detect any differnces under controlled conditions, and that's key.

Of course there are loads of other factors when it comes to a dedicated network streamer, but on SQ I don't think there's much to fault with an RPi and SOTA DAC.

Thats brave! Mentioning the M-word in a thread. But no, I am not looking to do that.
Glad to hear it!

Definitely keep us posted on the new Orchard Streamer. Looks very nice indeed!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get much for testing.

I'm not in a hurry.
Acquired the D90 to replace my 25y old Wadia and still have a lot of CD's to (re)listen too before jumping to streaming ...

Top Bottom