• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing perfectly good desktop speakers!

tonapo

I am thinking about changing my desktop speakers. I admit that I don’t really need to, but, occasionally you get the ‘itch’ so I doing a little research to work out my options.

Anyway, I am a Roon user and I have my Core on a NUC connected via cat 6b Ethernet cables around the house. I stream to an Allo USBridge (with ropieee), onto a RME ADI-2 DAC FS and finally onto some Adam F5 speakers.

I have a slightly awkward desktop position, which might make rear-ported speakers a problem. The desk is in an alcove, under the stairs. I am sort of ‘squiralled’ away in the corner of our ‘snug’ room in the middle of the house. The room also incorporates my main listening area, and in the last year I seem to have claimed the area as my playroom! I basically use the speakers, all day, every day, so they would get lots of use.

I have posted a couple of pictures of the desktop, to give you an idea of the space. I would be sat at the desk etc.

I may not do anything, but I wondered if there are suggestions for some different speakers to replace the Adam’s. I have wondered about some Genelec or similar (I have a friend who swears by them), but the rear porting gives me pause given the positioning.

In theory, I could accommodate a small sub just to my left.

So, any thoughts are helpful. I am not sure of budget, I would probably do a bit of ebay splurge to finance things, so around £1000 seems plausible. I could also save for a bit if needed.

Thanks for any comments or thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_114005.jpg
    IMG_20210612_114005.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20210612_114021.jpg
    IMG_20210612_114021.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 270

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
You have the Kef Reference speakers in the same room? Getting anything other than Genelec studio monitors is a waste!! :p J/k.
Neumann KH80’s or 120’s will work since they’re front ported. Don’t know pricing in your area though.
How about something small like Ik multimedia MTM?

On the other hand…Don’t know much about the now discontinued Adam F5 speakers, so I don’t expect Adam’s to sound that bad, considering Adam is a well-established brand.

OP
T

tonapo

You have the Kef Reference speakers in the same room?
Yes, thats right. My main system has the Kefs in it, I tend to sit on the sofa to do my listening, in front of the log burner. Originally, my main listening was in another room, but due to a number of factors I moved everything into our snug room. For some reason, my other half allowed it!

Getting anything other than Genelec studio monitors is a waste!!
Will the rear-ported Genelec's (or any rear ported speaker) be a good match given the tricky positioning (close to wall and a corner etc)?

Don’t know much about the now discontinued Adam F5 speakers, so I don’t expect Adam’s to sound that bad, considering Adam is a well-established brand.
They do sound pretty good, but I am just hankering for a change I think. This is more a 'want', rather than a 'need' admitedly.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You probably need to identify what you feel is lacking or missing in your current setup if you want to improve upon it.
If you cannot identify anything specifically then attempting a change for some theoretically "better" monitors would be a shot in the dark.

IMHO looking at the photos, applying a liberal amount of absorbing material in the corner behind the speaker and/or using an appropriate amount of EQ would probably bring more benefits than changing speakers.
Bringing them closer toward the screen might also help with both the bass and the stereo imaging, depending on your listening position given the lateral walls are not symmetrical.
You might also try playing with the vertical angle to make sure your ears stay within the intended listening window, for both the crossover and the ribbon tweeter (those tend to have a narrow vertical directivity up high...)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
According to Genelec 5 cm is enough clearance for the ports. You could use the -6dB bass tilt setting. Or better yet, measure your in-room response with a mic and use PEQ in Roon to compensate for the corner placement.

OP
T

tonapo

You probably need to identify what you feel is lacking or missing in your current setup if you want to improve upon it.
If you cannot identify anything specifically then attempting a change for some theoretically "better" monitors would be a shot in the dark.
A good challenge! I think my only real complaint with the speakers is they can sound a touch sibilant at times. Obviously there are many factors in play here, the recording etc, its a minor thing really.

IMHO looking at the photos, applying a liberal amount of absorbing material in the corner behind the speaker
I might have a go with this, I need to give it some thought

or using an appropriate amount of EQ would probably bring more benefits than changing speakers.
I might dig out my umik mic and have a go at this. I have measured the main room before as I have used a service called Home Audio Fidelity in the past, but I could try with REW myself.

Bringing them closer toward the screen might also help with both the bass and the stereo imaging, depending on your listening position given the lateral walls are not symmetrical.
This is a good idea, its always good to have a play around.

According to Genelec 5 cm is enough clearance for the ports. You could use the -6dB bass tilt setting.

Thank you, I don't think I had read this before.

Or better yet, measure your in-room response with a mic and use PEQ in Roon to compensate for the corner placement.

Thank you, as I said above, I will dig out my mic and try this. I am a bit nervous as I am not sure I understand exactly what I am doing, but I think it would be good for me to try it and increase my knowledge!!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thank you, as I said above, I will dig out my mic and try this. I am a bit nervous as I am not sure I understand exactly what I am doing, but I think it would be good for me to try it and increase my knowledge!!
You could also take the GLM models that would make this step easy. The 8330A is probably your best bet, in this case. Might also be possible to remove the RME by having your Allo thing output SPDIF/AES directly to the speakers.

Top Bottom