Search results for query: DSD

1. sunjam

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

Nowadays, virutally all DAC supports "Native DSD" but not all support DSD Direct mode. Based on my understanding, ESS does not support DSD Direct mode at all (even they are problaby no.1 in terms of market share). AKM does support it; CS41398 supports it but not their CS43131. Based on ESS...
  2. MaxwellsEq

What am I missing - up-sampling and DSD conversion?

I see people up-sampling 44k/16 PCM CD quality source files to, e.g. 96k or 192k. Or even converting 44k/16 PCM files to DSD. But I don't get it, what's the benefit? PCM up sampling I can see one possible benefit from up-sampling to 192k, that any in-band artefacts from the playback DAC...
  3. J

SACD with ESS chips. DSD or PCM?

A buddy of mine believes that an SACD player like the Accuphase DP570 converts DSD to PCM. He believes this to be a consequence of them using ESS 9028pro chips. That doesn’t make sense to me. What is the point in SACD if the player converts DSD to PCM anyway? I read on the ESS spec sheet that...
  4. G

DSD -> PCM conversion workflow

I've got a wiim mini and my DAC does not even understand DSD so I'm looking at converting the few SACDs to PCM so I can easily stream them. My rationale brain says I should just convert them all the way down to 16/44.1 but seems like most people decimate to 24/88.1.. and well, more is better...
  5. D

Foobar DSD Problem with Interference Noises

Hello everyone, Unfortunately, I have been having a very annoying and probably not easy to solve problem with the native playback of DSD files via Foobar and my external DAC (Pre Box S2 Digital) connected via USB. My configuration: Windows 11 Asus Strix X570-E board AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT Foobar...
  6. J

Integrated amp with USB B and DSD DAC.

My TEAC AI-101DA needs to be replaced. Looking for an integrated amp with USB B and DSD DAC if possible. Or a DAC/amp combo from Topping or SMSL I guess. I run the speakers with 25 w so far. Thank you.
  7. D

E70 Velvet, USB input default PCM insted of DSD

...with piCorePlayer and LMS - usb cable to - E70 Velvet to - Power amplifier I hear PCM music. My problem is when I do standby in E70 it goes to DSD, do not keeps PCM audio format. For now I have to restart Squeezelite to change format from DSD to PCM. My question is : How to set E70 usb...
  8. sunjam

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

My understanding of these terms are (in the companies' marketing sense) 1. Native DSD support: means DAC can take DSD data stream natively (i.e. raw DSD data stream) for processing. It has nothing to do with how the DAC handles the DSD data stream internally. This usually requires ASIO driver...
  9. 2

Room Correction & DSD

Dear Forumistas, Currently, I’m running the following set-up: SACD in universal player (Sony 800 Mk2) -> DSD out via HDMI -> into HDMI/II2S “converter” -> into Topping DAC II2S input (the DAC confirms 2.82 MHz input) -> analogue out to amp. Is there any reasonable way to conveniently manipulate...
  10. J

stationary USB DAC vs portable all-in-1 DSD player - range of quality difference?

Debating between something like this, a Chinese portable DSD player, vs something like a FiiO K5 or K7. What sort of quality difference might be expected between the two? I'm also open to other suggestions, just looking for best bang for buck - while also getting the best quality possible, and...
  11. D

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

It still won’t work with SACD disc with DSD unlike the Anthem AVM90 that actually takes DSD!
  12. Geert

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2021/10/measurments-dsd-testing-with-sox-dsd.html DSD Direct versus PCM: Multitone DSD Direct versus normal DSD: If there's any audible difference, it's hiding very well from measurements ;) "Given the excellent AKM AK4493 performance for DSD playback, I...
  13. nanook

Thanks, very nice visualization. And I think people are not aware of the fact that DSD Direct ≠ Native DSD. Native DSD just takes the bitstream and applies a lowpass filter only. Very minimalistic. ESS chips are capable to process a DSD stream as well, but they need conversions ahead of the...
  14. tmtomh

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

Sometimes i2s outputs will pass DSD. But in general, DSD is a huge pain for this reason. You can convert your DSD files to PCM, either by creating PCM files from them, or (depending on your playback software/streamer/source) by converting on the fly. There is also a system for transmitting DSD...
  15. staticV3

DSD Direct ≠ Native DSD. DSD Direct refers to some DAC chips' ability to bypass the oversampling filter and ∆Σ Modulator for DSD audio, like what you can see here for the AK4493S: As you can see in this block diagram, the ES9028Pro is not capable of DSD Direct:
  16. nanook

It is indeed very confusing, especially the wording companies/ marketing use. As far as I understand Native DSD usually refers to a DSD bitstream "as recorded with a 1-bit SD- AD converter" (i.e. a bitstream that has never been converted to PCM in between). I just read into the DSD flavors a...
  17. Scytales

And level matched ! He wrote that the output voltage in "DSD direct" is lower ! By the way, even in "DSD Direct", the AKM chip is a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) ! The actual DAC stage, inside the AKM chip, is the switched capacitor filter (SCF) in wich DSD is directly inputted without...
  18. PaperBoat

DSD

Is DSD harmful for tweeters & amps?
  19. Skelethor

Ok my mistake. My apologies. Thank you staticV3
  20. sunjam

Hmm... looks like it is "just some purists want their DSD music to be 'bit perfect' down to the last digital-to-analogy step (even the difference in terms of the sound produced is virutally close to none)?"
Top Bottom