Articles, Reviews and Measurements of Audio Products

Review and Measurements of Asus STX II PCI Sound Card

This is a review and detailed measurements of Asus STX II PCI Express sound card. It is on kind loan from a member and retails for USD $219 on Amazon including Prime shipping. Full list price is $299.

This is a medium sized PC card which oddly requires external power. You can see it here together with the recently reviewed USB DAC, the Khadas Tone Board:

Asus STX II Sound Card Audio Review and Measurements.jpg

So inch for inch, it better measure a lot better. OK, some of that real estate is dedicated to headphone output and analog input which the Khadas board lacks. Still, with all the space, extra shielding, etc. it better do well. Asus specification shows near state of the art performance specs:

1540002500445.png

If it lives up to these specs, it would rate at tier just below state-of-the-art desktop DACs. Will it get there? Let's measure it and find...

Orchard Audio ApplePi DAC and Volume+Clocker Reivew

I recently reviewed the Orchard Audio ApplePi DAC. In this review I will be testing the optional "Volume+Clocker" which adds hardware volume control and more precision clock. It retails for USD $99.99 plus shipping and is on loan from the company.

Here you see my test sandwich of Raspberry Pi, Volume+Clocker and ApplePi DAC:

Orchard Audio ApplePi DAC plus Volume-Clocker Balanced Review.jpg

You can see the volume control poking out on the side. Unless I missed it, there was no knob for the volume+clocker. This should be supplied as it costs very little and makes for a more professional and complete package.

For completeness, I will be testing the balanced output of the ApplePi DAC. As you can see in the above picture, the ApplePi DAC ships with mini-XLR balanced connectors. Company sent me a couple of XLR adapters which I used for this purpose. They were massive...

Battle of Google Pixel Headphone Dongles

This is a review and detailed measurements of three adapters to give your Pixel phone an analog output to drive headphones. Taking a lead from Apple, Google eliminated the 3.5 mm headphone jack necessitating using these external dongles/DACs+amps to use with headphones. Rumor is that Samsung may also go that way with their next phone. :(

Anyway, I received the original Google Pixel "USB-C to 3.5mm Adapter" months and months ago from a member. I was dreading having to measure it through my phone as that makes the process slow and incomplete. While I was procrastinating on that a member recently loaned me the second generation of that, prompting me to go and measure them. Fortunately I realized that using a simple USB adapter I could connect them to my PC and hence be able to measure them there. The second generation dongle retails for $12 from Google store. I don't know what the original one retailed for but I see it on Amazon for USD $14 with prime shipping.

Meanwhile...

Review and Measurements of JDS Labs EL DAC

This is a review and detailed measurements of JDS Labs EL DAC. It retails for $249 and is kind loan from a reddit member.

The EL DAC uses the same design language/enclosure as their attractive Element DAC and Amp which I reviewed earlier. This being a DAC alone, the big knob is of course eliminated:

JDS Labs EL DAC Review and Measurement.jpg

The momentary switch enables selection of different inputs. I am afraid I could not quite get a hang of how much to push it to advance to the next setting. The color of ring around the switch indicates which input is selected which required more mental effort than this lazy brain wanted to dedicate. Then again if you just use it for USB or whatever, it is not a big deal.

The finish seems to pick some amount of smudges. Not too bad but does require more delicate care to keep it looking good long term. I see that...

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

This is a review and detailed measurements of Khadas Tone Board DAC from WesionTEK. It is on kind loan from the company. The retail price on Amazon is USD $99 including free shipping.

As the name indicates, this is a bare board DAC:

Kodas Tone Board DAC Review and Measurement.jpg

Don't confuse this with Raspberry Pi boards though. This is a complete DAC and doesn't need a host to operate. It is just like any other desktop DAC except that it doesn't come with a case.

The Khadas Tone Board is powered and accessed through the USB port and S/PDIF. For my review, I only tested the USB input.

Output as you see is through a pair of RCA jacks that have a great high-quality look and feel (as does the S/PDIF one). It would be at home in DACs at much higher prices.

WesionTEK sells two versions of this board, one of which mates with their host processor to make a complete networked DAC and player. They were kind enough to send me the host which I will review later.

Let's get into...

Review and Measurements of Orchard Audio Gala DAC

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Orchard Audio Gala DAC. It is a brand new product just released and loaned to me by the company. Retail price is USD $500 but has an introductory price of $400.

The unit has unusual feature set. It has only balanced output outputs and S/PDIF digital input. And a volume control that works in digital domain. No USB input is provided but of course one can be added externally.

The enclosure looks somewhat rudimentary with blindingly bright blue LEDs that light up the ceiling of my listening room:

Orchard Audio Gala DAC Review and Measurements.jpg

Unless Orchard has done market research to know that people like Blue LEDs, my recommendation is to dim them substantially (or off).

I like the feel of the volume control. It has traditional mechanical limits which is nicer than optical encoder since you can set it to your comfortable level and have it stay there through power sequences.

The enclosure is bent/stamped sheet metal...

Review and Measurements of Micca OriGen G2 DAC & Amp

This is a review and detailed measurements of Micca OriGen G2 DAC and headphone amplifier. It is on a kind loan from forum member. The Amazon link shows the product not being available anymore but I find it on ebay for $110 or so.

The OriGen G2 is refreshingly different from the typical DAC and headphone amp. It is an elongated metal box with nice 1/4 and 3.5 mm headphone jacks:

Micca OriGen G2 USB AUdio DAC and Preamp Review and Measurement.jpg
Nice set of LEDs indicate the sample rate. The volume control has a nice feel and its position on top makes it easier to manipulate than front mounted on small enclosures.

For inputs, we have both optical Toslink and USB, the latter of which I tested for this review.

I tested the OriGen+ version a while back and it was a nightmare to install from driver point of view. Fortunately this one is UAC2 compliant so it was plug and play with Windows 10.

Let's get into the measurements and see how she does.

Measurements
As usual, I start with our...

Review and Measurements of Pi 2 Design 502DAC

This is a review and measurements of Pi 2 Design's 502DAC. I was kindly sent by designer and forum member @Michael Kelly. It retails for 109 from his website. He was kind enough to send me a complete system with the requisite Raspberry Pi and Volumio audio operating system. As a result, the unit was turnkey in operation:

Pi 2 Design 502DAC DAC review and Measurement.jpg

I powered it up using a single supply (it allows for dual supplies). Connect an Ethernet cable or use WiFi to get a networked DAC and S/PDIF output.

In my case, since Volumio only supports 16-bit audio from my Roon player (through airplay), I resorted to playing my test files from the USB thumb drive (red and black stick). DietPi supports Roon's RAAT protocol by the way.

Support from Michael has been excellent which is always a plus in my book. He told me that the main application for this device is using it as a networked S/PDIF & AES/EBU interface (to your own DAC). The included analog...

Review and Measurements of ifi nano iDSD Black DAC and Amp

This is a review and detailed measurement of the ifi nano iDSD Black edition portable DAC and headphone amplifier. I purchases this a few months ago from Amazon for USD $199 including shipping.

A lot of desktop and portable audio products I review are utilitarian and don't evoke much emotion. But there are some exception and the ifi nano iDSD BL is one of them. It is pretty cute!

ifi nano iDSD BL Black DAC and Headphone Amplifier review.jpg

The volume control feels nice. The metal enclosure also feels quite stout.

Included in the unit is their IEMatch resistor divider to lower noise and increase volume control range in case you need it. See my review of that functionality here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-ifi-ear-buddy-and-iematch.4707/

The only input is USB. For good or bad, this is the funky iFi male USB connector which necessitates using their cable to connect to your computer. They say this makes it more...

Review and Measurements of Parasound Zdac v.2 DAC and Amp

This is a review and detailed measurements of Parasound Zdac v.2 DAC and headphone amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. Even though Parasound is a "high-end" audio company, this seems to be their attempt at mass market product as the retail price from Amazon is USD $523 including Prime shipping.

The unit is pretty attractive in an understated way. Please excuse the lighting as I shot this at night with my desk lamp illuminating it:

Parasound Zdac v2 DAC and Headphone Amp Dashboard Review.jpg

We have the standard optical, coax and USB inputs. But also balanced output which is nice.

Also nice is independent volume controls for headphone and line out.

Dual headphone jacks accommodating either size is very nice. Hate using adapters with headphone cords.

All in all, the Zdac makes a good impression of simplicity and nice looks.

Let's see if the measurements match the positive impression here.

Measurements
As usual, we start with dashboard measurements. Here, I am showing balanced output...
Top Bottom