• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADC vs analog preamp

jazzvinyl2020

I have a fairly good analog front end consisting of a Nottingham Dais turntable, DIY XONO Pass phono preamp. I also use Hypex Ncore monoblocks. Currently my preamp is a Pass B1 buffer (also DIY). On the digital side, I’m using a Gustard X20 DAC which goes straight into the Hypex when I am listening to digital.

Here’s the idea: I’d like to simplify the setup by using the Gustard mainly (remote volume control etc) but I’d need an ADC that doesn’t degrade my vinyl experience. Are there any ADCs in the $500 range that would be good enough for this job?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a fairly good analog front end consisting of a Nottingham Dais turntable, DIY XONO Pass phono preamp. I also use Hypex Ncore monoblocks. Currently my preamp is a Pass B1 buffer (also DIY). On the digital side, I’m using a Gustard X20 DAC which goes straight into the Hypex when I am listening to digital.

Here’s the idea: I’d like to simplify the setup by using the Gustard mainly (remote volume control etc) but I’d need an ADC that doesn’t degrade my vinyl experience. Are there any ADCs in the $500 range that would be good enough for this job?
You need unbalanced in, digital out?
I'm sure most cheap converters will be fine, vinyl is not a challenge, would be good to see some recommendations that come with measurements to confirm.

OP
J

jazzvinyl2020

Yes, basically unbalanced in would do. Anything is fine as long as I don’t hear any audible degradation

raif71

Major Contributor
If you find a good adc solution...do keep us updated...if it was me, I'd just connect direct the turntable to an amp or like what you have. Don't really trust that adc conversion will improve the sound

OP
J

jazzvinyl2020

Yep agreed, a bit counter-intuitive to convert a good analog signal back and forth. But aside from convenience aspects this experiment should validate that digital is perfectly transparent. I have no experience with ADCs but this makes me curious how workable ADCs are in fairly high-end analog setups

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've converted my analogue signals to digital then back again for over 20 years. Firstly it was because my Meridian DSP5000 'speakers only had digital inputs, then later with my current set-up, I digitise the analogue output of my streamer and CD player as well as turntables in the DSP-based equaliser and crossover.

I've proved to my own satisfaction over and again that the ADC-DAC process is completely transparent, so not bothered about the conversions going on.

S

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This one is so cheap it might be worth a try: Swissonic Converter AD 24/192 (EDIT: there is no switch to set samplerate and bit depth so it may always works in 24/192 only!)

I measured its companion (Swissonic Converter DA 24/192) here at ASR. If the ADC has similar specs it should be good enough for vinyl. If you don't like it you could send it to @amirm or to me.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...rite-scarlett-8i6-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

Something like this would do what you need. Focusrite 8i6 for $269. It has one digital RCA SPDIF output. It has TRS balanced line inputs. You can send your phono preamp to that via RCA to TRS cables. That will work fine.

This of course does more than you need, and you'll need to connect it to a computer for initial setup. However, once you set everything for your purpose you can unplug the computer and it will function as a stand alone device. It has its own power supply. At least the earlier version would, might be worth confirming this 3rd generation will do so, but usually these work like that. You could have it output 24/96 or 24/192 signals to your DAC.

bYOndo

This one is so cheap it might be worth a try: Swissonic Converter AD 24/192 (EDIT: there is no switch to set samplerate and bit depth so it may always works in 24/192 only!)

I measured its companion (Swissonic Converter DA 24/192) here at ASR. If the ADC has similar specs it should be good enough for vinyl. If you don't like it you could send it to @amirm or to me.

I'm very intrigued by this ADC too. Next order to Thomann.de and it will be in my cart :)

edit: I've read specs sheet with more attention: "max input: 1,1 V" could be a severe limitation, without some adhoc attenuator.

Massimo

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very intrigued by this ADC too. Next order to Thomann.de and it will be in my cart :)

edit: I've read specs sheet with more attention: "max input: 1,1 V" could be a severe limitation, without some adhoc attenuator.

Massimo
Yep, you may need a passive attenuator if the source delivers more voltage.

OP
J

jazzvinyl2020

Just an update, guys. I bought the RME ADI 2 Pro FS Black Edition (newest version with AKM4493 chipset) and of course built-in ADC. It’s mind-blowing great! I’d say maybe even better than my Gustard X20. As for ADC performance, I cannot hear a difference between the Nottingham / phono preamp to passive volume control vs the ADC. It’s really funny to even hear pops and crackles of vinyl through the ADC imagining that some conversion happens in between. I’ve also done vinyl rips of my rarer discs. Love the versatility of the RME and the preamp function. Guess if the tech in my RME ever gets outdated, I will still use its ADC. Crazy, never would have thought that I will convert my analog sources that way.

Top Bottom