• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Age distribution of ASR

How old are you?

• Under 20

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 20’s

Votes: 69 13.9%
  • 30's

Votes: 109 22.0%
  • 40's

Votes: 101 20.4%
  • 50's

Votes: 113 22.8%
  • 60's

Votes: 76 15.4%
  • 70's

Votes: 23 4.6%
  • 80's and above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My reasoning is that younger folk are less susceptible to the prevailing subjectivism-oriented attitude of the last decades. And also, digital-natives are better at accessing information and determining its reliability.

Doubtful.

It it is the fact that the information is readily available now thanks to the internet.

If the younger generations got their information from Hi-Fi shops, stereophile magazines, and word of mouth like we did, they would be buying into junk science.

Meanwhile, audiophiles in their 50s and over who spent decades being exposed to the junk science exclusively, and bought equipment over and over and over again, are much more likely to hold on to those beliefs then someone new to the hobby. It is hard for people to give up on old beliefs, particularly when you spend a lot of money on it. It's much easier for somebody to make the right choice when they're given information about subjectivism and objectivism as they first get into the hobby.

BTW: as a recently retired college professor, I can tell you that early 20-something digital natives are often way worse with the technology than they rate themselves to be.

So be careful of what I call the generational bias: every older/younger generations always thinks they're better than the other generations. Best to avoid generational stereotyping without valid statistical data to support it.

By the way, I do think this is a good topic for discussion. Glad you posted it

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got lured to the Dark Side of audio in the 1980s, and in retrospect, it made a certain sense: Some of the best sound that I heard came from boutique-type dealers selling pricey gear. They had proper demo rooms with some attempt at taming the acoustics. Unfortunately, much of the sorts of gear which got bench-tested by Stereo Review were the sorts sold by department stores or bigger dealers, where the emphasis was on arranging equipment for maximum visual appeal, and the closest thing to room correction was to engage the loudness circuit and crank up bass and treble controls. And maybe that goes some ways to explaining why audiophiles of a certain age might distrust tone controls or bench-test results!

And if you didn't see big names like Technics represented at boutique dealers very often, it was likely because the company's dealer requirements were too steep (so many SKUs to represent, and yes they wanted them all represented). Whereas a company like PS Audio or Linn might have more flexible requirements for their dealers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And if you didn't see big names like Technics represented at boutique dealers very often, it was likely because the company's dealer requirements were too steep (so many SKUs to represent, and yes they wanted them all represented). Whereas a company like PS Audio or Linn might have more flexible requirements for their dealers.

I worked in consumer electronics for ~24 years, 9 in sales and the last 15 as a electronic technician. The reason we and other dealers avoided big names that where common is because many buyers shop on price, they simply walk into the nearest dealer of the same product you are offering and show your quote, they ask for a better deal and the sales person closes the deal on price. Very annoying after spending hours with a customer to lose a deal on price. Bigger dealers request a territory so they can have a exclusive; like we had on Yamaha and other brands that where top sellers.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doubtful.

It it is the fact that the information is readily available now thanks to the internet.

If the younger generations got their information from Hi-Fi shops, stereophile magazines, and word of mouth like we did, they would be buying into junk science.

Meanwhile, audiophiles in their 50s and over who spent decades being exposed to the junk science exclusively, and bought equipment over and over and over again, are much more likely to hold on to those beliefs then someone new to the hobby. It is hard for people to give up on old beliefs, particularly when you spend a lot of money on it. It's much easier for somebody to make the right choice when they're given information about subjectivism and objectivism as they first get into the hobby.
This is basically what I meant to say. Since the older audiophiles were exposed to certain practices and beliefs for longer, and probably invested more money into equipment sold to them based on those beliefs, it's more likely that they will have subjectivist views. Younger audiophiles are starting with access to a lot more information and are not hostages of limited sources of information that have a vested interest in selling them products.

Take my case – when I got into this hobby in earnest, I never really had a period of buying into the subjectivist agenda. As soon as I read reviews of dacs having soundstage and cables tightening the bass, I immediately looked for alternative explanations and viewpoints. Thanks to the internet and a lot of healthy skepticism, I managed to separate cold hard facts from opinions and personal preferences.

When I stepped into a physical store for the first time to buy some speakers, it was already after I read extensively on the subject and knew how to not get negotiated into buying something I don't need. I politely refused to some expansive interconnects that were offered to me on the basis of them bringing better sound to my system, because I already read about their actual effectiveness. My expansive headphones were bought not because of an over convincing sales person or a gushing review, but after an extensive market research that included comparing measurements and many listening sessions.

The point is, the youth today can enter the hobby with much more accurate and objective information, and thus not be easily swayed by poetic reviews and salesmen talking points.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Makes sense; audio scientists engineers perform best in their 50s.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is basically what I meant to say. Since the older audiophiles were exposed to certain practices and beliefs for longer, and probably invested more money into equipment sold to them based on those beliefs, it's more likely that they will have subjectivist views. Younger audiophiles are starting with access to a lot more information and are not hostages of limited sources of information that have a vested interest in selling them products.

Take my case – when I got into this hobby in earnest, I never really had a period of buying into the subjectivist agenda. As soon as I read reviews of dacs having soundstage and cables tightening the bass, I immediately looked for alternative explanations and viewpoints. Thanks to the internet and a lot of healthy skepticism, I managed to separate cold hard facts from opinions and personal preferences.

When I stepped into a physical store for the first time to buy some speakers, it was already after I read extensively on the subject and knew how to not get negotiated into buying something I don't need. I politely refused to some expansive interconnects that were offered to me on the basis of them bringing better sound to my system, because I already read about their actual effectiveness. My expansive headphones were bought not because of an over convincing sales person or a gushing review, but after an extensive market research that included comparing measurements and many listening sessions.

The point is, the youth today can enter the hobby with much more accurate and objective information, and thus not be easily swayed by poetic reviews and salesmen talking points.
I'm 55 and took up this hobby seriously when I was in my early teens. I used to get my information from dealers and sales people and then after when I became a sales person/dealer/buyer I got information from reps and rarely from magazines although we did use some photocopies of reviews from time to time. When I formally studied electronics principles and fundamentals all that goobly-gook stuff I previously learned went out the door and obviously I was woke to my "sins" as @amirm called them earlier in another post...lol... Now that the internet is well stocked with good reliable information I rely on that and self-study to make my decisions. My buying habits changed and the amount of gear I go through has decreased drastically. The internet has changed this for everybody and I don't think age demographics are that different for the young and old.

Severian

Forum Donor
I'm 34 and have been into audio quality with varying levels of intensity for about 10 years, although only in the last few have I had the disposable income to be more serious about it.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just turned 29, same age as @Fluffy, and basically had similar assumptions about this forum.

It's not just on ASR either. On the the audiophile subreddit - definitely a younger-trending site - there's a lot of talk about objective measurements you don't see in many other audio communities.

I think it's a combination of young people being broke and looking for the best bang-fo-their buck and easy access to digital resources. Also agree with Ami's DAC/Amp comments, since that's what also lead me to ASR, and lots (most?) of younger audiophiles start through headphones.

I like to think my interest in the nitty-gritty of audio science would've happened regardless, but in my case, it was catalyzed by being part of the press and trying to be a better reporter/reviewer. Philosophy major, so I don't eally fit the mold of having an academic engineering/science background, although I did originally intend to dual major in physics and philosophy. Alas :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps people young people don't have the time to take this poll?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If its knowledge about ages is anything similar to the advertisements it thinks it should serve me, forget it.

---

Google may properly represent those visiting, but those who stayed (judged by becoming a member and responding to the poll) appear to be older.

Does it give "Time on Site" or "Repeat Visits" or anything more useful?

---

While thinking about this after posting, my subconscious offerred up this thought:

It seems to me the youngsters that come around are looking for someone to tell them what to buy.
I avoid Google, which means no Android, different search engine, no gmail etc, so I don't imagine they get me "right" either.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Click on this link to see what google knows about you including age.

https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated

It knows my age bracket perfectly.
Google think I'm 35-44 years old! How rude.
But yeah, good opportunity to update their info on me. I'm using adblock anyway, but at least have the one ad I see every now and then be somewhat useful.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom