• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your latest cool purchase

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Blades can be expensive, but ordering a 3 or 5 pack online can be a much better deal. I purchased a 3 pack of Diablo carbide pruning blades in 12 inch size for $24 ($8 each). They last a long time relative to cheaper blades. They generally come in 6 inch, 9 inch and 12 inch lengths. You can get bigger ones, but I don't think they make much sense. The tool isn't strong enough for the longer ones. I did some clearing out and cut lots of brush, a couple trees over 40 feet tall, and cut up roots with it. The carbide blades aren't effected much cutting down in the dirt. I did use my most worn blade for that just in case.

So that is another thing. You can get blades that cut metal. Either thin or even up to supposedly 9/16th inch metal plate. I have not used those, but I have cut thin metal. You can get demolition blades that cut 2x lumber and nails you encounter. You can get fine tooth blades for smoother cuts on things you are building. You can get diamond coated blades for masonry and that sort of thing. They are more versatile than the stubby chain saw, and safer. If you do need a blade change it takes like 5 seconds using no tools which you won't be able to do with the chain saw. Let the chain saw get into the dirt a few seconds and it needs sharpening.
Wowowow! 12 inches and all those different types. I can now see why you suggest this over the chainsaw. That's a veryyy versatile tool. :D

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wowowow! 12 inches and all those different types. I can now see why you suggest this over the chainsaw. That's a veryyy versatile tool. :D

Yes, if you have to choose between the two, better to have one of those than a chainsaw.

Very few legal uses for a chainsaw inside the house. ;)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I want this

zeropoint

Or this:
51SHfbTEQZL._AC_.jpg

Both available on Amazon
519xQiloA0L._AC_.jpg

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
New goodies (to me) for the Missouri house, couldn't pass and the color was a perfect compliment for the room they're going in.

Attachments

• 20240416_085230.jpg
    20240416_085230.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240415_183141.jpg
    20240415_183141.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240415_183601.jpg
    20240415_183601.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 50

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not my latest, but it's my favorite purchase of the last few years. It's NOS, and took me a year to find.

When it was manufactured Ayrton Senna was still alive.
View attachment 356763

My OHTO Super Promecha pencil is only 9 years old. The black pen above it is a stainless steel Smootherpro which takes Pentel Frixion refills (i.e. erasable ink). I got that for Christmas :)

IMG_20240418_180355596 (Small).jpg

Edit: I also have a black Pentel P205 pencil with a 5L date code, which means it was manufactured in December 1985, 1995 or 2005 - I'm pretty sure I bought this one in the 90's.

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1713469977886.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Honda still made the Fit. Our son has a 2013; it's a ball to drive.
Strange. In the EU the Fit is named Jazz and the 4th generation was introduced in 2020 and is still available (hybrid only). My first Jazz from 2002 lasted 18 years and 220,000 km, the second one (a 2nd generation hybrid made in 2015 which I bought used in 2020 with 11,000 km milage) is going strong.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Strange. In the EU the Fit is named Jazz and the 4th generation was introduced in 2020 and is still available (hybrid only). My first Jazz from 2002 lasted 18 years and 220,000 km, the second one (a 2nd generation hybrid made in 2015 which I bought used in 2020 with 11,000 km milage) is going strong.
I should have written "I wish Honda still sold the Fit in the US", then.
It is a very sensible vehicle.

Rick63

I have a pair of JBL Studio 630's coming tomorrow from Crutchfield at the ridiculous price they were going for until sold out, and needed an amp to power them.

I picked up a B&K AVR 307 today from a buddy for $125. It is in perfect operating condition and after I removed the cover and faceplate to clean in dish water, it looks nearly new as well. Came with remote and box.

It's DACs are outdated, so I'm going to use my Audiolab M-DAC+ DAC/Preamp in DAC mode and send the signal to the analog CD input, essentially using the B&K as a 150 wpc integrated amp. This 59 lb beast has one heck of a power supply. Can't wait to play tomorrow.

20240418_230956.jpg
jbl-studio-630-5.png

Rick63

They're here! Man I love a great deal, $699 speakers for $331 (open box).

A quick peak through the rear port made me even happier than I already was - the Studio 6 Series has cast frame woofers, for some reason I thought they cheapened out and used pressed steel frames. They don't mention cast frame woofers on the product page as they usually do. Anyhow, they are a lot of speaker for the money and I love me some JBL compression drivers. Time to listen some more. -:)

20240419_121404.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Came in today: A Neumann KH750DSP :). It replaces a somewhat broken KEF PSW2000 sub. Boy, I didn't know the KEF was that bad. Although the KH750DSP is not yet setup properly through measurements (I adjusted the sub gain by ear and left everything else in default) its sound is fantastic. It feeds the Genelec 8020a and lifts SQ up another level.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically not purchased yet but we are going on a holiday to Tokyo and I have an appointment to be measured up for my first bespoke tailored jacket from an old Japanese master tailor. He trained in Savile Row and Italy and stayed in Rome for decades before returning home. He was Federico Fellini's tailor in the 70s/80s.

Much cheaper than Italian/British tailors due to the exchange rate and lower overheads.

I try to rationalise it as a partial necessity as I need to attend more industry events and conventions for work in the near future. And I might as well get a very nicely made comfortable example of such a garment.

We managed to book a measurement session and trial fitting before I fly off, with the jacket to be shipped after adjustments and final completion.

I'm not where I'd like to be in terms of size and weight, I had intended to get back in shape when I booked this in February, but work got busy. Yet I'd feel bad cancelling on him as he went out of the way for this foreign client, including changing his production schedule and roping in his only English -speaking apprentice.

Bleib

Major Contributor
77" LG B3 OLED TV, bigger than this I don't need

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Technically not purchased yet but we are going on a holiday to Tokyo and I have an appointment to be measured up for my first bespoke tailored jacket from an old Japanese master tailor. He trained in Savile Row and Italy and stayed in Rome for decades before returning home. He was Federico Fellini's tailor in the 70s/80s.

Much cheaper than Italian/British tailors due to the exchange rate and lower overheads.

I try to rationalise it as a partial necessity as I need to attend more industry events and conventions for work in the near future. And I might as well get a very nicely made comfortable example of such a garment.

We managed to book a measurement session and trial fitting before I fly off, with the jacket to be shipped after adjustments and final completion.

I'm not where I'd like to be in terms of size and weight, I had intended to get back in shape when I booked this in February, but work got busy. Yet I'd feel bad cancelling on him as he went out of the way for this foreign client, including changing his production schedule and roping in his only English -speaking apprentice.

How cool.

You can always get another suit from him when you get "back in shape".

Top Bottom