• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 82.4%

• Total voters

Robert Weide

Just hope they can develop the iOS version of the software as well. I'm still using Qudelix 5k as the dac and preamp and I will immediately replace it with this if topping tune is available in app store.

TankTop

Now can someone license one from Topping (DX7 Pro or similar) and from it into a nice stereo class D chassis?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This thing is tiny and the display must be almost microscopic. I estimate the whole unit is about 5.5" wide and the active part of the display must be barely 1 inch wide!

Topping don't seem to specify the actual size or the weight in their specifications/website unless I missed it.

georgehifi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't come with a stand alone power supply?
It can only be powered via a usb socket?
What is a good mains wall wart with usb output? (iphone?)

Topping even state on their page for this D50 III "It is recommended to add an auxiliary power supply for better performance"

So what the way to go for the best?? iPhone wall wart with usb-c output??

Cheers George

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am impressed how well @Rja4000 measurement system compared to Amir's APx555! :oops:

Last edited:

AM88

Does the USB-C socket on the back mean you can connect a USB-C iPhone to it and use the phone as the music source?

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping even state on their page for this D50 III "It is recommended to add an auxiliary power supply for better performance"

Cheers George

The manual lists power consumption at <2.5W.

2.5W is the maximum specification for usb 2.0, so technically as long as you plug the dac into a usb 3.0 port and use a usb A to C cable (4.5W max), you don't need a wall wart. If you plug it into a usb-c port on your computer you also don't need a wall wart, because the usb-c standards require ports to be able to supply 15W.

This is in the manual, because some phone manufactures don't abide by the standards when it comes to power delivery!

Screenshot 2024-04-17 211602.png

Last edited:

DLS79

Forum Donor
Does the USB-C socket on the back mean you can connect a USB-C iPhone to it and use the phone as the music source?

@Rja4000 confirmed it worked with his android phone, so I assume it should work with an iPhone. With that being said, you might want to wait for someone who has actually tried an iPhone to confirm it.

beeface

@amirm said:
"What distinguishes the D50 III is what is inside: support for up to 10 filters of different types. The app, called Topping Tune, even has nice features like overlaying a target curve. Focus is on headphone use though as there is no way to assign separate EQ to each channel as you would need for Room EQ. You could use it to correct speaker flaws but would be harder to do so for room effects. I hope the company adds per channel capability."

And neither there is a way to integrate and equalize subwoofer(s), like it is possible with minidsp.
one step at a time, I guess. But we're getting closer and closer to miniDSP functionality with SOTA measured performance

DLS79

Forum Donor
Very nice review. I'm glad for the PEQ. I hope this is just the beginning of built-in DSP.

It's like any other consumer electronics industry. Companies push some feature set as far as technology (within realistic cost constraints) will allow, then they have to push some other feature set if they want to continue selling products and making money.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cheers George
Topping would likely suggest the P50 linear power supply.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, you mean to tell me this thing doesn't read REW measurements and perform automatic room correction and they charge $220?!?!?
It both reads and exports .csv files. I don't remember if REW's generic export is like this but if not, it is not hard to make it so. But again, their focus is headphone equalization, not room.

On the cost, it would have been that without EQ.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir

I'm very happy you measured this one in depth too !

I now have a full comparison point and I'll be able to check for differences in our respective measurements and tune mines to match more closely where it's lacking. That will be of great help for me.

Also, the D50 III may now enter the chart officially :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom