• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

Die Frage wurde wahrscheinlich beantwortet, aber als ich die letzten Seiten gelesen habe, habe ich sie vielleicht übersehen. Ist der PEQ im Gerät gespeichert, zumindest die eine Voreinstellung, die aktiv ist?
You can use the PC software "Topping Tune" to create as many configurations as you like. A maximum of 5 configurations can then be transferred to the D50. These are then stored in the D50 and can be called up individually.
Please note that you can only use the PEQ with the USB input.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this info, since I use optical with my DAC I cancelled my D50 III order for now.
Well, I reported an issue with my sample which was confirmed by one person.
Until Topping comes back with an answer or more people confirm the issue, that doesn't make it a general issue.

And if Topping comes back with a new firmware to fix it, that would just make all this an anecdotic incident for an otherwise very good device

Also, the issue I see varies with sampling rate, frequency and level.
My tests are at very high levels (that's why we perform them at those level: to challenge the device under test), so maybe there would be no audible effect for normal music. I still have to give that a try .

EDIT: Tried with Red Hot Chili Peppers "I'm with you" from an old Bluesound node.
(I know RHCP albums are mastered very close to 0dBFS.)
It's un-listenable at fixed volume output.
It becomes correct when I lower the (digital) output level from the Node.
So, yes, issue is also present with music when transmitted at nominal level.

Last edited:

yys310

10/10 to topping's service.
Today I contact with the Taobao customer service and report this issue.
After few conversation and waiting they provide the new firmware.
It seems that they've solved this issue at 3/26 but didn't release it yet.
I'll try to test it later today.
@Rja4000 can you test the new FW with your D50III? I can only test the 44.1kHz issue.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks MUCH better with firmware 1.21 !

2024-04-10 10_44_43-Intermodulation Distortion (lower better).png

Bei Verwendung des SPDIF-Eingangs (Koax oder Toslink) wird der Ton bei mir um etwa -5 dBFS unterbrochen.
Ich habe das zunächst beim IMD-Sweep gesehen, aber natürlich sehe ich das Gleiche auch bei einer reinen Sinuswelle.
Oberhalb dieses Pegels (näher an 0 dBFS) oder darunter funktioniert es einwandfrei (siehe Messungen oben).
Aber um diesen Pegel herum ist der Ton völlig verzerrt. Nicht „hörbar“.

I have now also noticed this problem.
I found a 1KHz test tone, 44100 Hz /16 bit at 0db on Tidal.
If I set the volume to 85 - 90%, the crackling starts and stops again above 90%.
My firmware is also 1.20. So you can now assume that it is not an isolated case but affects all devices.

(I just saw the problem was fixed with 1.21. Very nice. Thank you Rja4000 and yys310 for being so motivated. And also great support from Topping.)

Last edited:

yys310

I have now also noticed this problem.
I found a 1KHz test tone, 44100 Hz /16 bit at 0db on Tidal.
If I set the volume to 85 - 90%, the crackling starts and stops again above 90%.
My firmware is also 1.20. So you can now assume that it is not an isolated case but affects all devices.
Luckily topping fixed this issue with FW1.21!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2024-04-10 12_04_07-THD+N Ratio vs Frequency @ 192 kHz (90 kHz BW).png

NB: I can't find a way to use 2 different sampling frequencies for DAC and ADC...
So figures are much worse and can't be directly compared with Amir's figures, I'm afraid.

Sokel

Master Contributor
NB: I can't find a way to use 2 different sampling frequencies for DAC and ADC...
So figures are much worse and can't be directly compared with Amir's figures, I'm afraid.
Neither DSD I suppose.
It's a pity,I was curious,specially in a THD+N vs level/freq

Bleib

Major Contributor
10/10 to topping's service.
Today I contact with the Taobao customer service and report this issue.
After few conversation and waiting they provide the new firmware.
It seems that they've solved this issue at 3/26 but didn't release it yet.
I'll try to test it later today.
@Rja4000 can you test the new FW with your D50III? I can only test the 44.1kHz issue.
Great. I can always order the DAC later as well..

Sokel

Master Contributor
Wise, considering their record it's better to wait a while to make sure there's no bugs in that model..
Three years ago I promised here I would get the first one that has absolutely no report for 6 months to one year.
Still don't have one :)

Either reports existed or replaced by a new one,seems that now days one year is a long time.

Bleib

Major Contributor
And also great support from Topping.)
But it's also something which makes me think, why didn't they catch this before production? Not everyone will bother to update the firmware
Should be basic quality assurance to test everything

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But it's also something which makes me think, why didn't they catch this before production? Not everyone will bother to update the firmware

Who knows some times!

I've made changes to systems in the past, done developer level testing, committed it to revision control and run it through the testing department, only to find out after the fact that release engineers never included the change in the release!

cheapmessiah

Because to make them affordable, device users have to be the testers, having over the air firmware updates is the norm with shenzhen fast development style electronics.

And also being first to market to be the manufacturer that creates saturation, and not to be the one to be pushed out of market by it, is key in this business model.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Because to make them affordable, device users have to be the testers, having over the air firmware updates is the norm with shenzhen fast development style electronics.

And also being first to market to be the manufacturer that creates saturation, and not to be the one to be pushed out of market by it, is key in this business model.
I dunno, there are differences among the manufacturers. SMSL barely has any firmware updates at all.
As Topping has quite a bit of criticism when it comes to reliability of their products perhaps they should test things a bit more before rushing things out. They should work hard on making sure that the problems were a thing in the past, something which people might even eventually forget about altogether.

Top Bottom