• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

napfkuchen

So other than esthetics, why would someone pick something like these obviously remarkable speakers over something like the Genelec 8361A (8351A for smaller space) or the Neumann Kh 420 (Kh 310 for smaller space)? Not a rhetorical question - I'm thinking of upgrading my family room (television and music listening) area (16'W x 20'L x 18'H) with a stereo speaker setup and just recently started shopping. Based on Amir's testing, I had pretty much narrowed down my choices to the flip of a coin/availability of the Genelec vs Neumann but these Kef's seem to be so good - maybe worth investigation. I guess back to my original question, are these speakers "that much" better than the other choices given the massive difference in price. BTW: Current setup is a pair of old Tannoy 10"/1" 2-way passive monitors (don't remember the model but from the 90s) attached to a Bryston 3B amp from the same period.
From a performance standpoint the Genelecs should be just as good in almost every regard. You pay for the looks and built quality. In my opinion these speakers are a piece of art. If you have the money and the required space ... go for the Kefs. There are many very expensive and also very hideous looking speakers out there. Kef has the perfect blend of science and design.
Maybe they should produce an equivalent to the LS 60s but in the blade-form-factor. But I guess that won't happen soon because a pair of Blade 2s is much more attractive from a sales perspective (lots of "necessary" high-end amplification equipment).

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From a performance standpoint the Genelecs should be just as good in almost every regard.
You could get W371A with 8351/8361 and it would perform better in every metric, be fully active and still cheaper at least in Europe. The looks however... (both bad)

Last edited:

paradoxical3

Can these hang SPL wise with the Perlisten S7T? The compression and distortion measurements look great, but the sensitivity is fairly low - will they be able to compare in terms of dynamics with classical music at near reference level?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, most find it normal to spend over 40k for a car every some years while on the other hand find it strange to invest less for a hobby which lasts and can give them big pleasure a whole lifetime.

During the pandemic, I got away with one car for both of us. This did allow more cash flow for audio and other stuff. Last year, wife said I need my own car again, so I acquiesced.

Admittedly, she may have been motivated by the number of speakers and amplifiers I have!:oops:

p.s. At this writing, am in the middle of purging old computers I have accumulated from customer upgrades. I have some nice usable older computers but cannot even donate ones that are older than 5 years or so. Speakers/speaker drivers are likely next in the purge queue.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Can these hang SPL wise with the Perlisten S7T? The compression and distortion measurements look great, but the sensitivity is fairly low - will they be able to compare in terms of dynamics with classical music at near reference level?
Perlisten are THX Dominus certified,that's not easy to beat.
Do Blades have any similar certification?

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
If you have the money for the Blades, you should be able to also get e.g. the Benchmark AHB2, MiniDSP SHD with Dirac and some nice-looking cables, all for 5 grand and state of the art.

Nah, I want an all in one system with amps designed specifically for the speakers, I'll leave the other stuff for the cable tinkerers

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could get W371A with 8351/8361 and it would perform better in every metric, be fully active and still cheaper at least in Europe. The looks however... (both bad)
I wouldn't say better in every metric, but rather not significantly worse as for example the directivity gradient of the Blades is in some regions more continuous.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I wouldn't say better in every metric, but rather not significantly worse as for example the directivity gradient of the Blades is in some regions more continuous.
with W371A in continued directivity mode? There's a sudden jump in the gradient around 200Hz in Blades with a dip in on axis response where the side woofers crossover is at, the W371A is still cardioid 2 octaves lower

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the aesthetic, at some point with high-end audio, you are paying for the appearance of something better/higher quality. Even KEF shows this as the black version really calls for a black coaxial driver but has a contrasting one instead. Another major deal breaker for me!....

I showed the Blade pic to my wife this morning and she thought it looked like a torpedo. She nicknamed it the marriage torpedo btw. :D

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the aesthetic, at some point with high-end audio, you are paying for the appearance of something better/higher quality. Even KEF shows this as the black version really calls for a black coaxial driver but has a contrasting one instead. Another major deal breaker for me!....

I showed the Blade pic to my wife this morning and she thought it looked like a torpedo. She nicknamed it the marriage torpedo btw. :D
Lucky for me my wife accept the KEF design language so our LSXII and LS60 and KC92 are OK .

But B&W "Why are there sausages on top of the speakers it looks horrible" :) :) anyway I would not consider modern B&W in any case.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your unfamiliar with KEF coaxials and speaker design you might think they are convex rather than concave seen on picture. So these where "nipple speakers" for a while :D according to wife !

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
with W371A in continued directivity mode? There's a sudden jump in the gradient around 200Hz in Blades with a dip in on axis response where the side woofers crossover is at, the W371A is still cardioid 2 octaves lower
Yes, above the bass, I agree though that in most rooms the advantage of the adaptive W371 bass modes and room correction will be more important and audible

On the other hand
and still cheaper at least in Europe.
I am not sure about that, a pair of Blades 2 has an official price 26000€ while only a pair of W371s has an official price of 19800€.
and for 6000€ you can't a pair of 8351B not to talk about 8361A.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
What do you mean with "easy"?

The data anyway of both show that up till 102 dB per loudspeaker the compression is not an issue.I agree that above that the KEF would most probably first reach its SPL limits but in most typical living rooms and listening distances those 102 dB are already more than enough.

JBL%204367_Compression.png

index.php
"Easy" means able to produce realistic volume (SPL) without effort, but it is true that in 90% of home listening cases, realistic volume listening is not applied and it is simply a wish and personal pleasure. On the other hand, and even if the Blades have a rather directive radiation, the JBLs will in my opinion have more room to maneuver regarding the listening distance.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Yes, above the bass, I agree though that in most rooms the advantage of the adaptive W371 bass steering modes will be more important.

On the other hand

I am not sure about that, a pair of Blades 2 has an official price 26000€ while only a pair of W371s has an official price of 19800€.
and for 6000€ you can't a pair of 8351B not to talk about 8361A.
As W371A is custom ordered it's best to ask local distributor about the price, there's a lot of wiggle room. I paid way less for 8351B + W371A than 26k€ just last year and I bought them separately, so it wasn't any special bundle deal. But I guess the same goes for KEFs?

Sokel

Master Contributor

Talking about wives,mine likes these ones (for good or bad).

1711626613686.jpeg

(truth is that matches our living room)

Good thing is that she has no opinion about what I put in my dedicated :cool:

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As W371A is custom ordered it's best to ask local distributor about the price, there's a lot of wiggle room. I paid way less for 8351B + W371A than 26k€ just last year and I bought them separately, so it wasn't any special bundle deal
But the same holds also for such home loudspeakers (I usually got at least 20% discount) so such comparisons are difficult and problematic. Hope Erin will also review the 8351B and 8361A one day so we can directly compare the multitone distortion and compression measurements.

Ciobi69

Do you use them to watch films too? Do they sound as good as for music?

A single case is an anechdote and not relevant at all, I know, but I have used them for a couple of years without a single issue. Cross fingers so it stays that way...

That said, I can perfectly understand you preference: you can get similar performance with passives, but with a set of electronics that you prefeer for reasons of usability, interface or any other consideration.

On the other hand, I absolutely love the aesthetics. But hey, it´s not compolsory to like Brancusi, so nothing wrong with not liking them.

Or spend the money on the kitchen and get your cooking to the stratosphere, which is not a bad option!

If you told me a year ago, I´d get the car due to working 70 km away from where I live. Today, walking to my job, I´d get the speakers. :D
they are very good for movies too, they can handle the dynamics peak in my space

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I get both . . .if I had the money to spare. :D
I have always wanted to have a Hellcat. I drove them back when I lived in Indiana and the rural roads around (central-north Spain) here are great to go on weekend visits. But between a Hellcat and the Blades, I´d still get the Blades.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about wives, mine likes these ones (for good or bad).

View attachment 359611

(truth is that matches our living room)

Good thing is that she has no opinion about what I put in my dedicated :cool:

Now this is almost driving towards the extreme where the "speaker" gets hidden in something else. My project list still has plans for trying to bury tactile transducers into framed art to hide surround speakers in the room.

My wife initially approved my CBT towers but lately seems to have soured on them. May be posturing to keep them from moving with us to our next residence. ;)

Please pardon my veering OT, but luxury-class audio really needs an occasional reality check in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom