• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

• Very much. I will not consider a well-performing unattractive speaker.

Votes: 59 31.2%
  • A fair bit. Looks can be an easy tiebreaker among similarly performing models.

Votes: 54 28.6%
  • I prioritize sound, but I’m not immune to the appeal of looks and know they influence me.

Votes: 58 30.7%
  • No. I’m invincible - only concerned with performance / sound.

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

benanders

When you search(ed) / audition(ed) speakers to get, did / do you care about looks? I suspect many are mindful of appearances, particularly for multipurpose rooms or a close environment.

If yes, how much do looks matter when you aim to own a speaker? Is appearance a reason you continue to take interest in new speaker models? Was appearance the reason you finally let go of a pair of uggo’s once upon a time?

Confounding factors like SAF influence are welcome among comments, but let’s keep it classy, San Diego. No judgement, please.

I was surprised that it seems this line of query hasn’t been put to an ASR poll, but apologies if I’m mistaken.

OP
benanders

benanders

I didn’t ever think I cared much, past making a setup presentable enough for others.

Then I reflected on my first “stereo” (1992 Panasonic boombox), my last monitor of choice (2012 Gallo), and the 1986 Hollywood robotics that my impressionable 5-y-o mind must’ve soaked up.

Either the latter had a considerable subliminal effect, or there’s a lot of chance at play here.

BD5A12E5-5D8B-465E-A492-E54593E4221D.jpeg

Edit: I’ll get I got back to this…

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are not many speakers I would reject solely on the appearance.

Vivid Giya springs to mind as a bridge too far in terms of what I'd consider acceptable. I know some love the look of them.

Svet Angelov

I voted option 3; the only place where speaker (and electronics) aesthetics are a huge selling point for me is the living room, since it's a shared space for me and the missus. Both in the office and the DJ room it's the wild wild west where anything goes...

Svet Angelov

There are not many speakers I would reject solely on the appearance.

Vivid Giya springs to mind as a bridge too far in terms of what I'd consider acceptable. I know some love the look of them.
I LOVE those klein bottle-esque speakers. But then again I love the modern B&W Nautiluses as well. I may be in the minority here LOL

Sokel

Master Contributor
Decisive points are appearance only by physical contact and not by pictures (some look hefty and are tiny when you actually see them up close) and as adjustable as possible in terms of sound.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I LOVE those klein bottle-esque speakers. But then again I love the modern B&W Nautiluses as well. I may be in the minority here LOL
Indeed - I don't mind the looks of these Wilsons at all but I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority as anytime a pic of them is put up there's a barrage of posts exclaiming how awful they look

Sokel

Master Contributor
Indeed - I don't mind the looks of these Wilsons at all but I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority as anytime a pic of them is put up there's a barrage of posts exclaiming how awful they look

I'm an even smaller minority,no comments at all:

3.png

Kyron Audio Gaia

(It's maybe the multiactive design)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
While I appreciate good industrial design and generally like to have 'nice things' I do believe form should on the whole follow function. This allows me to happily live with a pair of LX-minis even though they look like an accident in a pipe factory.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appearance matters very much to me. I have to look at the 'speakers a lot longer than I listen to them, and in my room at least, they are a piece of furniture as much as a functional object.

I like big 'speakers for sonic reasons, that's why I like the 1960-1980s aesthetic of a wooden box, with real wood veneer, with grilles on. Oh, and they have to be floor standing (or wall-shelf mounted. I can't be dealing with stands as the 'speaker always then looks top-heavy.

One 'speaker that I've always loved the look of is the Empire 9000 Royal Grenadier. Lovely looking pieces of functional furniture. No idea how good they were sonically, as I've never managed to hear them or seen any detailed measurements, but I'd have a pair just as side tables.

I'm also partial to the console cabinet for equipment rather than open racks, although my DIY wooden 19" racks I find acceptable as all the cables are inside, and only the front panels show.

S

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I remember seeing several comments here to the effect that someone would never consider Genelecs for their living space due to their unsightly appearance. Personally, I think Genelecs are some of the most attractive speakers available, especially the white ones. I'd much prefer them to some sad walnut-veneered monkey coffin. I have even heard from a member of the fairer sex that she thought they looked 'cute and cuddly' ...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember seeing several comments here to the effect that someone would never consider Genelecs for their living space due to their unsightly appearance. Personally, I think Genelecs are some of the most attractive speakers available, especially the white ones. I'd much prefer them to some sad walnut-veneered monkey coffin. I have even heard from a member of the fairer sex that she thought they looked 'cute and cuddly' ...
yes, me too I think they look really good in a 'Space: 1999' sort of way.

At the same time I can see how they would jar quite badly with a 'Traditional' room styling.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
In my living room (WAF) are attractive bookshelf speakers on stands, but in my by personal listening room in the basement are my DIY 4 way tower speakers. They are “rough” in appearance, a veneer covering would make them ready for public viewing.

GaryY

Forum Donor
I'm too conservative and could not imagine I listen to music with industrial looking speakers. It feels like I have one more desktop.

JohnnyNG

Not really a consideration for me. The truly hideous ones are well beyond my budget. My wife has opinions but understands sound is my passion so doesn’t feel the need to intercede in all matters.

Bleib

Major Contributor
There are things which are too ugly.. absolutely

Top Bottom