• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading my studios' Headphone monitoring...

jonwb

Hi... currently using the analog headphone out from a Audient ID22 interface into some Sennheiser HD6xx headphones. The ID22 was billed as having a good quality headphone DAC and thus far, it's been pretty good. However, I have to push the headphone level up quite a bit to get enough volume. The Senns are rated at 300 Ohms.

It may be time to take advantage of the ID22's S/PDIF Optical output and run it to a seperate headphone amp?
Question is, which amp would you suggest I look at? I use the HD6xx's (with Morphit) in Pro Tools but that doesn't necessarily mean I need pro level stats.

I'm just hoping there's something that might cater to them better that won't break the bank.... Thanks

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you use the optical output you will need a dac and a headphone amp or a headphone amp with a dac. You may get some good recommendations if you give a definition of "won't break the bank".

I've tried several options and now I'm using an Eversolo Dac Z8 as both a dac and headhone amp. It was $699. It replaced a Schiit Modi+ dac and Schiit Magni+ headphone amp combo.

OP
J

jonwb

Thanks Brian... forgive me for my lack of knowledge here.

Is it best to use the Audient's Optical out rather than the analog 3-4 outputs I have available? (Outs 1-2 run to a Adcom amp for my speakers).
I just assumed it would be better audio, but maybe not?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks Brian... forgive me for my lack of knowledge here.

Is it best to use the Audient's Optical out rather than the analog 3-4 outputs I have available? (Outs 1-2 run to a Adcom amp for my speakers).
I just assumed it would be better audio, but maybe not?

I wasn't familiar with what the Audient was. If you have analog outputs, something like a Schiit Magni or similar headphone amp will have plenty of power for your headphones. I used the Magni with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Just checked and it looks like the Magni headphone amps have been discontinued. They have the Vali 2 for $149 or the Midguard for $219. Either of those should work for you. Both of those will work as a preamp for another amp also if the headphone is not connected.

OP
J

jonwb

Just received a Topping LX30 II HP amp this morning. I have to hook it up through the 3-4 outputs of the ID22. I'll report in a while.

OP
J

jonwb

Ok so I looked at that unit. Since it's balanced, It would work well with the Audient (which has balanced TRS outs). However, I do have a S/PDIF digital out with this interface. Maybe an all-in-one Headphone amp/DAC would suit me better?

BTW, the Topping L30 II is excellent! I've been re-listening to my catalog and it's amazing. I'm definitely hooked on running the Senn HD6xx's this way.

Top Bottom