• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

harleydave

Agreed entirely. Motorcycles are intoxicatingly exciting, but to be seduced by speed and power is a sure recipe for disaster mid-term. I see many ride as if it's a video game - but we don't get extra lives. I love riding and I can ride fast (I go on track days regularly), but I have also lost dear people around me. Last one was particularly sad - 30 years old, about to get married... and I think he got his motorcycle because he thought mine was cool and heard about my weekend trip adventures... but even though I told him to take a motorcycle safety training, he got reckless and got killed a month into motorcycle ownership last April... :-(
That's very sad. I've lost many brother riders over the years. Mostly to cars not paying attention, and a few to tempting fate. When my wife got hers we went to full face helmets with Cardo communications. I would let her lead and I would talk to her about things up ahead that potentially could happen, and, help her plan escape routes and "What ifs". I demanded that she take the motorcycle safety course, which she did. We bought her CanAm new in April 2023 and she put 4500 miles on it which is no small feat being that in Upstate NY riding season isn't that long. She's developing more skills and confidence with each ride.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed entirely. Motorcycles are intoxicatingly exciting, but to be seduced by speed and power is a sure recipe for disaster mid-term. I see many ride as if it's a video game - but we don't get extra lives. I love riding and I can ride fast (I go on track days regularly), but I have also lost dear people around me. Last one was particularly sad - 30 years old, about to get married... and I think he got his motorcycle because he thought mine was cool and heard about my weekend trip adventures... but even though I told him to take a motorcycle safety training, he got reckless and got killed a month into motorcycle ownership last April... :-(
Very sorry to hear that.

Clmrt

Honda Valkyrie
2x Honda CM400
Honda Rebel 2fiddy
3 scooters
Six kids and a wife
Need another bike

Prana Ferox

My old bikes, current one not included

Z1000
dsc00600_97755265_o.jpg

Speed Triple

20120519_171953.jpg

690SMC
1706920673801.png

Futura
1706920766637.png

GaryY

Forum Donor
When I entered university, I asked my mother what she thinks if I would buy a motorcycle. She had been never strict either resolute like that.
"I HAVE ONLY ONE SON"

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I entered university, I asked my mother what she thinks if I would buy a motorcycle. She had been never strict either resolute like that.
"I HAVE ONLY ONE SON"
my mom helped me buy my first motorcyle, she just asked me to be responsible. 40 something years later... she loves my motorcycles and has gone out with me on a ride at age 80.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been riding for 60 years and have dearly loved most every mile.
But anyone who doesn't admit and accept that street riding is a very dangerous activity is a fool.
It requires a constant level of attention and focus far beyond that needed to drive a cage.
Daydreaming about other things can mean a minor fender bender on 4 wheels but can be a life changing event on 2.
Riding like an idiot is a guaranteed road to a very sad ending. Besides riding, but also working in the industry for over 30
I've witnessed way more sad stories than I care to think about any more.
If you already haven't, take at least 2 or 3 continuing riders ed classes, learn to ride and think like a pro.
cent' anni

Rick63

After 35 years and well over 250,000 miles of riding, I quit and sold my last bike (which was the first brand new bike I ever purchased) in September 2022.

It was my favorite thing in the world to do, but it is getting more dangerous on the streets every year with all the distracted drivers and other factors. On top of that my back issues have gotten worse over the years so it was time.

I adopted a cat to replace it and it was a GREAT decision!

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was working at an LTAC facility for a short time several years ago. My VFR was in the shop getting a new rear tire. Within one week 3 riders were admitted-one older (I believe he was mid to late 60's) apparently had a heart attack and ran into a rock wall at speed. He was paralyzed from the neck down and died a couple weeks later. Another gentleman, also older hit a deer at speed. He had multiple fractures and a closed head injury-I saw him some time later at a SNF. At that time he was still bedbound and unable to stand or ambulate. The third guy had a car pull out in front of him and so he flipped over onto the hood of the car, at which time his tiny helmet flew off so when he hit the pavement he didn't have head protection. He was lucky in that the speed was quite slowish so only had multiple broken bones and a concussion. The other therapists asked me if I was going to pick my bike up when it was ready-I stated of course-I love riding, knowing the possible negative consequences. I've been very lucky and have escaped crashes and injury many times, often due to my inattention or simply going too fast for tight curves-and of course automobiles not paying attention. I know every time I go for a ride I may not come back but that's how much I love riding. It's the last adrenaline rush available at my age.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A couple of pics from my last trip, and me getting ready to pull it in the garage of the shop I sold it to.
Nice LowRider! Dollars to donuts, you'll be back. ;)

Chr1

Forum Donor
Cut my teeth at 19 as a bike courier with Pony Express for several years. Had just got my first first "big" bike, a Suzuki GS550. Kinda sink or swim...City traffic, lots of sliding off due to youthful exuberance. Nothing serious thankfully. Survived it all and only just got my first broken bones almost 40 years later by a dufus in an SUV who ran a red light four years ago. It paid for my Neumann KH310s and a BMWF800ST tho, so all good. Can't see myself quitting bikes til I am physically unable to throw a leg over one myself. Definitely ride safer now and keep the antics for the track tho.
IMG_20240203_155910.jpg

Still got the Pony Express jacket tho took the logo lettering off when I left.
If only I could zip it up over my old fellas beer gut!
Ho hum.

Last edited:

Rick63

Nice LowRider! Dollars to donuts, you'll be back. ;)

Well the thing is, my mother always worried about me riding, especially on my 500-600 mile rides I made a couple of times a year, and I promised her I was done riding. I can't break a promise to my mother and she's going on 82 years old and very healthy. If I outlive her, who knows... :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The price of the Speed 400 is $5000 not $6000. I know this, because I just put a deposit on one. At that price, it is more than competitive in the marketplace. I'm trying to understand where your strong negative bias against this machine is coming from. It's gotten rave reviews by just about everyone who's ridden it.' Tell me what other machine at $5000 US offers this level of fit and finish and overall performance. The closest one I know of is the Honda CB300R, which is more expensive, has 100cc less displacement, and 10 less horsepower. As for your doubts about its power, where does that come from? It has a modern liquid cooled engine with double overhead cams and fuel injection. I haven't heard anybody else bring this up, and the bike's acceleration and top speed seem to support that figure. As for weight, it's about 370lb. Everyone that rides it finds it very light and flickable. A Royal Enfield 350 is 430lb. A Kawasaki KZ400 is 386lb. A KTM Duke is lighter, but only by a few pounds. It is also a heavily sport oriented machine that compromises overall comfort for performance. Production has been moved to China, and there are reports concerning quality issues in later machines.
Where I live HD's rule the market and for 5k to 6k you can get a lot for your money.

My little pal.
2023-09-29 11.53.29.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Anton D

I was walking out of Lowe's one day and saw this....

IMG_1561-L.jpg

IMG_1562-L.jpg

I just love it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Been enjoying my e-moto ('23 Surron LBX) a lot more lately, got better spring rates (over stock) for fork/shock, as well as a new controller (Torp TC500) which unlocks more from my stock battery without removing bms.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

TimF

Forum Donor
If the new Triumph 400 single can be bought for around $5,000 then I have a better opinion of it than if it cost $6,000. I hope Jmsent will tell us about the bike and his experiences with it when he gets one. He will be getting one of the first of them. As per the power output of the 400 single, I think that the Honda GB 500 single from the late 1980's, and I owned one for a few years, put out 33 to 38 hp (there are a lot of differing claims about this.). The great Yamaha SR500 put out about 31 hp. The Yamaha SR 400 had about 23 hp. Motorcycle power ratings are all over the place and it is common for manufacturers and advertising to overstate the power. I imagine a mid 30's power rating for a 500 single to be pretty good, and a mid 20's power output for a 400 single to be pretty good. Is there a definitive source for specs for motorcycles? Is there a definitive source for specs for audio amplifiers? I rely on ASR. But then for most of my life there was no such thing as ASR. Power isn't everything.

Top Bottom