• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

deadkrillin

Can we be fairly confident listener's reverse engineered measurements are incorrect then, as he suggests they should be brighter than anything?

I would challenge him on here about them but I don't think he has an account.

Really not surprised now that the Sennheiser guy said they're hesitant to post measurements.
Generally I would never err towards thinking a measurement is incorrect just because of a subjective impression is deviating from the measurement.

They got confirmation from Gunnar himself about the measurement, after all. By all accounts, it seems the measurement is what it is: it’d be pretty tough to screw up a simple uncompensation of the data with a known HRTF. I’m willing to accept the results even if I think they jumped the gun.

Now I’m rather more interested in the difference between the two measurements that @MayaTlab has brought up. I assume that can be chalked up to a graphics error of some sort, but it’s strange that the mixing pads have less difference than the producer pads though; wonder why it’s only affecting one of them.

deadkrillin

Already done... very leakage resistant, pad compression has the same effect as other HD6xx headphones, becomes darker sounding the more pads are compressed.
Definitely excited to see the full review. Hope the 490 pads are a bit slower to wear than the 600 pads.

Ic3Ang3l

Would be really interesting to see how they compare to the Beyer 900 pro x.

LoyK

That is an interesting comparison. In which ways do you think 490Pro is better than newer 560S?
Comfort is better for me because the pads are wider and the swivel/headband is better.
Construction, cable etc. also better.
Soundwise I think it has a better bass, the 1K region is a bit less forward and the treble seems better extended. It sounds less grainy and clearer for me. Also it stages/images better I think. Binaural recordings or tracks like this sound absolutely spacious and "around your head":
Location of sounds is more precise than on my HD560s or Hifiman Ananda.

But I need more listening and look forward to Solderdudes conclusions/review.
Also curious for possible 3rd-party pads or little hacks like additional dampening between driver and L/R cushions. My first paper tissue try was too much :D

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Would be really interesting to see how they compare to the Beyer 900 pro x.

The DT900 ProX is 'sharper' sounding in the treble and has more clarity.
HD490Pro is 'nicer/politer' sounding with the producer pads.

Last edited:

ZeusPro

If you already have HD 490 Pro, could you compare it to HD 600? I just bought HD 600 a week ago, and now this comes out. Is it an improvement in bass? HD490 seems to have a lot more energy in 5-8kHz, based on some graph, hopefully it doesn’t sound sharp and too forward.

I'm guessing this is somewhere inbetween the HD650 & HD560S, not as harsh as the latter and cleaner/less warm than the former. So maybe a HD600 with better bass extension?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My review of the HD 490 PRO is up.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Slight typo:
Screenshot_20240127-124425_Chrome.png
This should probably say fabric (mixing) pads

campermate

Pressing like is not enough, thank you very much for the detailed review and your measurements @solderdude! I just have one tiny little request: Could you please link the comparison graphs separately instead of / in addition to the GIF, if it's not too much trouble? Oh, never mind: chrome extension :)

In the end, it's a pimped-up HD560s. Of course, everyone has to decide for themselves whether the premium (the HD560s were recently knocked out here for 69€, regularly from about 140€) is worth it: Better workmanship, more comfort thanks to the deeper pads, less clamping pressure and the fact that two pads are included. For me personally, fittet with the velour pads it is the better non-EQ headphone out of these two. (consumer ears here!) I should give the fabric pads a try on the EQ and adjust it just like the HD560s up to about 1kHz... just not touch EQ above that Freq.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The individual comparisons are only present in the GIF and on my PC.
Which particular ones are you interested in ? I can post them here.

Dazerdoreal

For those who are looking for Harman curve comparisons: These measurements already look way different (better) than the reverse-engineered graphs.

While these also have to be taken with a grain of salt, his other Sennheiser measurements are also not too far off (take into account that he seemingly has the new warmer 560s model).

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The individual comparisons are only present in the GIF and on my PC.
Which particular ones are you interested in ? I can post them here.
Could you please post HD560 2023, HD600 and Edition XS comparisons if possible?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
01 brown = HD 560S (2023), green = HD 490 Pro.png
15 Cyan = Edition XS, green = HD 490 Pro.png
03 pink = HD 600, green = HD 490 Pro.png

These are all opposite the velour (producer) pads which most will probably be using.
Note: Both the HD560S and HD490PRO headphones have the same order code for the driver (printed on the membrane)

PuX

Note: Both the HD560S and HD490PRO headphones have the same order code for the driver (printed on the membrane)
I was a bit hyped until I realised HD490 uses the same drivers as many existing lower end models, but at 2+ times the price.
can't say the new design is particularly good looking, so not sure what is the point of this new model.

Alchemist_

If you add bass with the equalizer, will distortion on the HD 490 PRO start at about the same level as on the HD 560 S?

Why is it different: Max. rated power: HD 560S = 0.2 W, and HD 490 PRO = 0.3?

And yet, the manufacturer claims about ventilation.
I wonder which model gets more air into the ear? 560 or 490

Last edited:

LoyK

I was a bit hyped until I realised HD490 uses the same drivers as many existing lower end models, but at 2+ times the price.
can't say the new design is particularly good looking, so not sure what is the point of this new model.
The point of this model is to sound pretty good overall and checking nearly all the boxes for me/many others I guess.
There are also very good DACs using basic chips like for example in RME ADI-2 series -> the implementation is as important as the driver. And also the measurements from from solderdude show pretty low distortion and extension. What else do you want from a new driver? Ah yes, I would also like it to brew fresh coffee...

Top Bottom