• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 + iTunes = Lossless rips?

Gnarls

I haven't used Windows or iTunes in a decade. (New computer) I want to copy some disks. iTunes used to make Apple Lossless and then you could convert the files to whatever you wanted inside of iTunes. Does it still do this?

If not, what is the best way to rip (software) and get high quality copies?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Usual disclaimer about "the best" being all relative, but generally speaking:

(Basically) No $$: trusty Exact Audio Copy. Has gotten easier to set up, with options for FLAC output and all. Select CTDB metadata provider for even more comprehensive rip quality verification (ARv2 + CTDB).
You should generally be able to rip in burst mode and get the all clear from both databases, switching to secure mode should only be needed for tough nuts (the summary will show you which tracks had issues). The one thing I still have to do manually is copying the contents of the "CD Artist" field to "CD Performer" after metadata has been downloaded in order to fill out both Artist and Album Artist metadata fields.

$$: dBpoweramp. Better metadata quality, might save your sanity when ripping a lot.

I rip in EAC, then drag the output into a Foobar2000 playlist, have it do a ReplayGain scan and convert to MP3 for mobile use.

I'm pretty sure iTunes can do much of the same, though I don't think it has rip verification, and it's a substantially bigger download than EAC and Foobar combined.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exact Audio Copy has been around forever and will verifiably rip your discs without error (unless they are damaged) and encode them to which ever format you prefer.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On windows? Exact audio copy. No need to think about it.

On mac, itunes (actually music now) has error correction for ripping. No idea how good that is compared to EAC.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
On windows? Exact audio copy. No need to think about it.

On mac, itunes (actually music now) has error correction for ripping. No idea how good that is compared to EAC.

XLD for Mac or dbpoweramp. :) (both support accurate rip)

Top Bottom