Recent content by spiritofjerry

1. spiritofjerry

WTB: JDS Labs OL DAC with optical input

Re-opened and bumped. Still looking for one!
  2. spiritofjerry

Topping MX5, A new device?

From time to time I drop in on the community to see if any desktop all in one units that meet my needs have been developed, and here I was excited to see a new Topping offering that nearly does... only to be let down by design flaws with the switching noise and the lack of a subwoofer/pre out...
  3. spiritofjerry

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

I have my unit "on" 24/7 since the day I bought it. It does not feel warm at all and the LEDs are consistently bright when lit. I live in a dry climate, no issues, and I have the earliest revision.
  4. spiritofjerry

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Thanks, @iFi audio, for that description. That makes a lot of sense as to why the iDefender just can't work in some cases, or works imperfectly. It's basically a gamble without knowing voltages across ground. But hey, it may work! This has always been my recommendation, is to use a galvanic...
  5. spiritofjerry

SMSL VMV D2 Information

Well said, dude. Welcome to the forum, we need more like you around here.
  6. spiritofjerry

SMSL VMV D2 Information

I'd say your first reply was an off-topic rant. Didn't answer the question, and went on about something that didn't matter.
  7. spiritofjerry

While you're at it, @iFi audio, I'd be curious on your take why the iDefender simply just doesn't work to completely eliminate ground noise in a significant number of cases? Just a casual glance of the Amazon reviews for the product shows quite a few number of reviews that the noise is either...
  8. spiritofjerry

I'm using a generic phone charger. No issues. Never had this issue, but I'm in the US. This was one issue I was worried about because it seemed to have the most users with problems. I live in a desert climate in Utah, lots of static electricity. No issues (yet).
  9. spiritofjerry

FWIW, Tim, I have the very first revision and it's running flawlessly. I'm not sure what "issues" you think this DAC has, but I can assure you there are none worth worrying about, especially since all current units are the newest revision, and have been for quite some time. The only real issue...
  10. spiritofjerry

Topping, like many other manufacturers (e.g. Soncoz, Behringer, etc.) use the Theyscon drivers -- meaning, they don't write the drivers themselves. Their changelog is readily available on their site: https://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt You'll notice the fixes are rather...
  11. spiritofjerry

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
  12. spiritofjerry

The U90 is $600. The iDefender is just a ground lift, at $60. Neither are ideal solutions, one is costly and one doesn't safely implement ground. What you want is a galvanic isolator, like this: https://hifimediy.com/product/intona-hi-speed-isolator-1kv/
  13. spiritofjerry

Some measurements would be nice if you could post those. Do some standard RCA, and compare the Mogami. I really would love to see this EMI/RFI noise on a chart. Listening impressions, unfortunately, are not reliable.
  14. spiritofjerry

I only choose cables based on their suppleness. I HATE cables that are so stiff that they move my gear around on my desk or in my cabinet. Monoprice RCA's are the worst in this regard. I don't care about brands: I just want flexible cable at the proper gauge, in OFC copper.
  15. spiritofjerry

A few comments up hmscott declared he had EMI noise in his cables he could hear. Unless he lives in a power transformer, or he was using fishing wire, I doubt that was the case. I also make my own Mogami cables for their suppleness. But that's the only reason.
Top Bottom