• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

spiritofjerry

Just a quick question to the assembled gathering, can I buy this DAC now? Is it fixed? Seems most of this thread is taken up with issues and problems... I'm in the UK so it's an Amazon purchase, but I don't want to bother if there are still issues.

Many thanks
Tim
FWIW, Tim, I have the very first revision and it's running flawlessly. I'm not sure what "issues" you think this DAC has, but I can assure you there are none worth worrying about, especially since all current units are the newest revision, and have been for quite some time. The only real issue was a static discharge issue that only occurred in very specific circumstances, and was remedied in a revision change long ago.

timiambeing

FWIW, Tim, I have the very first revision and it's running flawlessly. I'm not sure what "issues" you think this DAC has, but I can assure you there are none worth worrying about, especially since all current units are the newest revision, and have been for quite some time. The only real issue was a static discharge issue that only occurred in very specific circumstances, and was remedied in a revision change long ago.
That's excellent news and thanks for your quick reply :)

It was this list a few pages back and users still reporting problems that worried me:

------------

1. Voltage and current sensitive. Too high a voltage or, apparently, too low current will damage the unit which I suspect @Lero has experienced.
A well regulated power supply like the iFi iPower seems to be critical for the device to operate safely. @Ben1987 mentioned working on a power supply but has not said when it might be available or if it will be included with the LA-QXD1 going forward.

2. XMOS chip is sensitive to EMI as detailed by @foguy_lucky and @sundbp, though it seems to be a 230v mains issue as I did not read of any U.S. 110v users having this issue. Is this a potential shielding issue?

3. Static discharge damages unit. This shouldn't be an issue no matter the humidity level. Again, @Ben1987 has stated the issue was solved. The question is, are the units currently available on Amazon, HiFiGo, etc, "optimized" or are they still susceptible to the problem? If so, when will the new units ship and how can the user identify a corrected unit?

-----------

Can I also ask, is the firmware update restricted to those with a Windows PC (I am a Mac user and this seems to be a thing with Chinese suppliers, I have the same issue with my Denafrips gear). Because I would want to use the DAC as a fixed output all the time, but I will be unplugging and plugging it between uses as I move my headfi rig between the bedroom and the living room each day. Would be good if it didn't reset volume every time.

Cheers

Tim

spiritofjerry

1. Voltage and current sensitive. Too high a voltage or, apparently, too low current will damage the unit which I suspect @Lero has experienced.
A well regulated power supply like the iFi iPower seems to be critical for the device to operate safely. @Ben1987 mentioned working on a power supply but has not said when it might be available or if it will be included with the LA-QXD1 going forward.
I'm using a generic phone charger. No issues.
2. XMOS chip is sensitive to EMI as detailed by @foguy_lucky and @sundbp, though it seems to be a 230v mains issue as I did not read of any U.S. 110v users having this issue. Is this a potential shielding issue?
Never had this issue, but I'm in the US.
3. Static discharge damages unit. This shouldn't be an issue no matter the humidity level. Again, @Ben1987 has stated the issue was solved. The question is, are the units currently available on Amazon, HiFiGo, etc, "optimized" or are they still susceptible to the problem? If so, when will the new units ship and how can the user identify a corrected unit?
This was one issue I was worried about because it seemed to have the most users with problems. I live in a desert climate in Utah, lots of static electricity. No issues (yet).

volkl77n

I'm using a generic phone charger. No issues.

Never had this issue, but I'm in the US.

This was one issue I was worried about because it seemed to have the most users with problems. I live in a desert climate in Utah, lots of static electricity. No issues (yet).
These were my observations collected from the entire thread to the date I posted.

1. I am using a Samsung 2.0 amp charger and it's worked fine. Just be wary of cheap fakes and clones. Soncoz has a linear power supply in the works so that may be an option later.
2. Same. As I stated, it seems to be a 230v issue.
3. That was also a concern as I have an earlier unit, but no issue for me as well, though I am in Houston, plenty of humidity.

I'm pretty confident that any issues were outliers given the slow down of activity in this thread.

timiambeing

Have the Soncoz here now and it’s playing beautifully into my (also brand new) SPL Phonitor One!

Just wondered, I am sure balanced out from the Soncoz to the SPL is an improvement but I can barely get the volume above 7 or 8 o‘clock which is only just above channel imbalance position... I’m presuming this is usual for the Sen HD600? I’ve noticed before with other amps and DAC’s and I’ve never had any of them above 9 o’clock - so headphone upgrade to a better but more difficult load maybe? Or I could use the Soncoz volume control of course, but how would that compare with using Roon headroom management and knocking some dB off there? Don’t want to reduce resolution really as this is quite an impressive little DAC for the money!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have the Soncoz here now and it’s playing beautifully into my (also brand new) SPL Phonitor One!

Just wondered, I am sure balanced out from the Soncoz to the SPL is an improvement but I can barely get the volume above 7 or 8 o‘clock which is only just above channel imbalance position... I’m presuming this is usual for the Sen HD600? I’ve noticed before with other amps and DAC’s and I’ve never had any of them above 9 o’clock - so headphone upgrade to a better but more difficult load maybe? Or I could use the Soncoz volume control of course, but how would that compare with using Roon headroom management and knocking some dB off there? Don’t want to reduce resolution really as this is quite an impressive little DAC for the money!
What gain setting is the SPL on for the output you are using?

EDIT- Im thinking of the wrong amp, sorry. Does the One have any way of varying gain?

EDIT 2- no it doesnt, if the gain is too high you will have to reduce upstream- I would suggest leave DAC on full or nearly full output and just use Roon. See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/spl-phonitor-one.18532/post-699574

Last edited:

timiambeing

What gain setting is the SPL on for the output you are using?

EDIT- Im thinking of the wrong amp, sorry. Does the One have any way of varying gain?
I was the same, been looking at so many amps recently I was sure this one had gain jumpers inside, but no... worse still it has a preamp before the power amp...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was the same, been looking at so many amps recently I was sure this one had gain jumpers inside, but no... worse still it has a preamp before the power amp...
See my second edit - you're stuck with lowering something on the input side.

timiambeing

See my second edit - you're stuck with lowering something on the input side.
... or possibly upgrading headphones to something 600 ohm, or am I confusing the effect of higher impedance on the volume range available?

DollPhones

Hello I recently purchases the LA-QXD1 and I enjoy it but I have two minor worries regarding it. One thing I've noticed is that the LED brightness between LEDs tends to fluctuate when they turn on and off, this isn't TOO much of an issue, but I'd prefer they all be of the same brightness, I fixit by muting/unmuting or cycling filters until all lights are the same brightness.

My larger concern is that I have the unit get warm to the touch when not in use for long periods. It doesn't really have an off button, so I just leave it on (have had it left on for about a week now) and I've realized that when I sit down to listen to music, a handful of times I've touched the unit and found it feeling hotter than usual. It's not extremely hot by any means, but in those instances the unit has CERTAINLY been hotter to the touch than when it was actually in use. This worries me for long term usability.

Are these things to be concerned about long term? I see there are issues regarding static. I live in a VERY dry VERY hot climate. I thought it was weird but could not find much info on the matter until I saw some of the earlier HW revisions being discussed here. My unit is currently using the usb cable it shipped with, plugged into an Anker phone charger, which is plugged into a linear power conditioner.

timiambeing

Hello I recently purchases the LA-QXD1 and I enjoy it but I have two minor worries regarding it. One thing I've noticed is that the LED brightness between LEDs tends to fluctuate when they turn on and off, this isn't TOO much of an issue, but I'd prefer they all be of the same brightness, I fixit by muting/unmuting or cycling filters until all lights are the same brightness.

My larger concern is that I have the unit get warm to the touch when not in use for long periods. It doesn't really have an off button, so I just leave it on (have had it left on for about a week now) and I've realized that when I sit down to listen to music, a handful of times I've touched the unit and found it feeling hotter than usual. It's not extremely hot by any means, but in those instances the unit has CERTAINLY been hotter to the touch than when it was actually in use. This worries me for long term usability.

Are these things to be concerned about long term? I see there are issues regarding static. I live in a VERY dry VERY hot climate. I thought it was weird but could not find much info on the matter until I saw some of the earlier HW revisions being discussed here. My unit is currently using the usb cable it shipped with, plugged into an Anker phone charger, which is plugged into a linear power conditioner.
I’m not getting any of these issues, but then as far as the heat goes I live in Uk so that isn’t a problem here! I would always suggest you contact the reseller in these situation first, get their opinion and if you still aren't happy send the unit back for replacement or refund. There are plenty of DAC’s out there tried and tested without these niggling issues.

spiritofjerry

I have my unit "on" 24/7 since the day I bought it. It does not feel warm at all and the LEDs are consistently bright when lit. I live in a dry climate, no issues, and I have the earliest revision.

swampfire

I’m super happy with my LA-QXD1. I feed it with my Onkyo 7030 CD player and AppleTV (iTunes and Soma.FM), and everything sounds fantastic through it. My only issue is that on power up, there’s a better than 50% chance that it will blink the far right LED repeatedly and the buttons won’t respond. If I leave power off for a few minutes and then plug it back in, it’s usually fine. I’m looking for a 20000 mAh charger to power it so that it’s a non-issue. I have an Anker 20k MAh power brick, but it doesn’t support simultaneously charging and supplying output voltage.

Just wondered if I’m the first to run into this problem.

EDIT: I replaced the crappy 1.6A power supply with an Apple 5V-1A power supply, problem solved. I bet it will sound even better now…

Last edited:

timiambeing

I’m super happy with my LA-QXD1. I feed it with my Onkyo 7030 CD player and AppleTV (iTunes and Soma.FM), and everything sounds fantastic through it. My only issue is that on power up, there’s a better than 50% chance that it will blink the far right LED repeatedly and the buttons won’t respond. If I leave power off for a few minutes and then plug it back in, it’s usually fine. I’m looking for a 20000 mAh charger to power it so that it’s a non-issue. I have an Anker 20k MAh power brick, but it doesn’t support simultaneously charging and supplying output voltage.

Just wondered if I’m the first to run into this problem.

EDIT: I replaced the crappy 1.6A power supply with a crappy 2A power supply, problem solved. I bet it will sound even better now…
I haven‘t had any issues with power, feed mine from a standard 5v 1a Apple charger, the little flat one in the shape of a UK plug. I do have several Apple 5v 2.1a chargers of the old type, with slide in connector for whatever plug type your country offers - are more amps better, the manufacturers say 5v 1a?

swampfire

I was using the USB-A power brick from my Bose Soundlink2, in case anyone else runs into this. I’m hoping to upgrade to a linear supply soon.

And actually the new Apple cube I’m plugging into the wall is 5V 1A, so clearly 1A is enough. Maybe 1.6A was actually too much…either way, I’m tossing the Bose Soundlink 2 power supply.

Last edited:

timiambeing

The amps specification of the power supply is the maximum current it can provide, the device will take whatever it needs. There is no problem with "more amps".
In this case we are talking about a DAC so I’m presuming it’s hardly likely to want more, as opposed to a headphone or speaker amp? Also, I always thought digital components, streamers and DAC’s were unlikely to benefit audibly from a “linear” power supply - what does the assembled gathering think?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case we are talking about a DAC so I’m presuming it’s hardly likely to want more, as opposed to a headphone or speaker amp? Also, I always thought digital components, streamers and DAC’s were unlikely to benefit audibly from a “linear” power supply - what does the assembled gathering think?
The amps the manufacturer specifies are the maximum current the DAC will ever need. In your home you have certain amps by contract, and your installation allows you to consume up to this level of current. But that doesn't mean you are always consuming it, depends on what is plugged.

All evidence I've seen here points towards that a linear power supply doesn't make any difference in terms of quality on the output of a DAC when compared with a switching power supply.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

Last edited:

Bass Face

Hello All

New joiner and first time DAC user. I've read most this thread and learned a whole bunch. That being said I'd like to share my experience.

My journey started when I connected my studio monitor to my gaming PC. There was a vicious buzz and ground loop issue from what I could hear. My motherboard supports optical so I opted to go that route.

Needed something that had Optical In and Balanced XLR outputs. Enter the Soncoz LA_QXD1.

I received the unit this morning and its been interesting experience so far.

1: I have needed to pull the plug and "reset" the unit twice.
2: Both resets were due to the unit not allowing me to change filters. Only the power light was on and solid.
3: Used an apple power brick so power source has been clean.
4: I have no idea how to turn the unit off without unplugging it.

I connected the studio monitor directly into the Soncoz and used it most of the day. And now the Monitor seems to be dead. Turns on but no sound. From what I saw on some of the reviews, people regularly connect these directly to studio monitors. The monitor is only a week old. This unit one day old.

Any thoughts? Looking forward to everyones responses.

Top Bottom