• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV D2 Information

Fotophred

Has any one got information about the SMSL VMV D2?
There is some data on the various sales sites but nothing else
Happy to receive contact from an SMSL staff member.
Looks to be a great DAC - colleague is considering one as a DAC/Source select for his Genelec 360s
All information appreciated

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has any one got information about the SMSL VMV D2?
There is some data on the various sales sites but nothing else
Happy to receive contact from an SMSL staff member.
Looks to be a great DAC - colleague is considering one as a DAC/Source select for his Genelec 360s
All information appreciated
Why that dac when there are hundreds of others where plenty of information and measurements are available?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These kinds of questions aren't productive, IMO. The guy is asking for information, perhaps he likes the color, maybe he cares about the niche Bluetooth tech they're touting? Who cares why?
Not at all. I want to know what kind of information they want. What would a rep of SMSL provide them that retailer published specs don't ?

It seems odd to pick a very new, pretty niche dac as the one then ask for any and all info about it. Why do they think it "looks to be a great dac" ?

But you're right, these kind of questions aren't helpful.

OP
Fotophred

Fotophred

Why the questions?
The last AKM DAC I owned rolled the bass off - does the D2 follow this path?
What chipsets/boards are used on the various inputs ? (He is looking to avoid drop outs)
What op amps or others are in the output path?
How much latency does this DAC have.?
What does the tone shaping do and how is it achieved - how can it be defeated?
Many other questions

Although you may consider the D2 inexpensive/chump change with our local currency makes this a significant purchase.
Perhaps an understanding of how the D2 betters the D1 and SU9N from the same supplier.
We live in a small country that is poorly serviced by the niche audio fraternity.
Local sellers/drop shippers tend to apply a 15 - 80% extra charge for the privilege of purchasing locally.
The range of product available is limited and generally not returnable - we are better to import privately.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the questions?
The last AKM DAC I owned rolled the bass off - does the D2 follow this path?
What chipsets/boards are used on the various inputs ? (He is looking to avoid drop outs)
What op amps or others are in the output path?
How much latency does this DAC have.?
What does the tone shaping do and how is it achieved - how can it be defeated?
Many other questions

Although you may consider the D2 inexpensive/chump change with our local currency makes this a significant purchase.
Perhaps an understanding of how the D2 betters the D1 and SU9N from the same supplier.
We live in a small country that is poorly serviced by the niche audio fraternity.
Local sellers/drop shippers tend to apply a 15 - 80% extra charge for the privilege of purchasing locally.
The range of product available is limited and generally not returnable - we are better to import privately.
Probably better to ask those very detailed questions up front then.

And no, I consider it very expensive if I've understood correctly that it's a $1600 dac.

Last edited:

Vhond

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These kinds of questions aren't productive, IMO. The guy is asking for information, perhaps he likes the color, maybe he cares about the niche Bluetooth tech they're touting? Who cares why?
My thoughts exactly. The risks of asking a question on here are daunting, because I would wager that at least 60% of responses are snide rejoinders, accusations of intellectual feebleness, off-topic rants, or insufferably officious battles between members that have nothing to do with the OP’s questions—and I’d put up a crispy AK4499eq that 70% of those are about MQA…

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My thoughts exactly. The risks of asking a question on here are daunting, because I would wager that at least 60% of responses are snide rejoinders, accusations of intellectual feebleness, off-topic rants, or insufferably officious battles between members that have nothing to do with the OP’s questions—and I’d put up a crispy AK4499eq that 70% of those are about MQA…
None of which applies here.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say your first reply was an off-topic rant. Didn't answer the question, and went on about something that didn't matter.
It was a question to illicit more about what the op wanted as the first post was too general. As evidenced by the follow up detailed request for quite specific info. They had seen some info previously to decide that it "looks to be a great DAC" without saying how they had reached that conclusion. I'd you want schematics , internal pics and component lists, ask for them.

Not sure how it constituted a rant either. Or was off topic. Especially as the OP reply was exactly what was needed in the first post. I'd consider it quite successful really.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None of which applies here.
I was in no way directing that comment towards you in any way. There just seems to be a lot of take-downs and contentiousness on here, some of which borders on downright insults and officiousness when it doesn’t seem necessary.

I’m an admitted newbie to commenting on this site, and recognize that I need an eye on decorum as I introduce myself to the tribe. But I’ve been an avid reader of this forum for years, for the purposes of my own education by some of the smartest audiophiles out there.

So with that being said, I would think that those with the most experience would enjoy teaching amateur enthusiasts. I teach medicine with great joy and reward, and I mustn’t ever make my students feel bad for approaching me with the curiosity to learn. And although there are many gurus on here who clearly do seem to be more than happy to pass on their gifts, there are others who seem delight more in putting folks in their place—and I think that’s unfortunate.

Was the latter your motivation when responding to me?

spiritofjerry

I was in no way directing that comment towards you in any way. There just seems to be a lot of take-downs and contentiousness on here, some of which borders on downright insults and officiousness when it doesn’t seem necessary.

I’m an admitted newbie to commenting on this site, and recognize that I need an eye on decorum as I introduce myself to the tribe. But I’ve been an avid reader of this forum for years, for the purposes of my own education by some of the smartest audiophiles out there.

So with that being said, I would think that those with the most experience would enjoy teaching amateur enthusiasts. I teach medicine with great joy and reward, and I mustn’t ever make my students feel bad for approaching me with the curiosity to learn. And although there are many gurus on here who clearly do seem to be more than happy to pass on their gifts, there are others who seem delight more in putting folks in their place—and I think that’s unfortunate.

Well said, dude. Welcome to the forum, we need more like you around here.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I have no idea why you chose to put that comment in this thread if it wasnt aimed at me, given that Jerry was directly criticising my approach in the post you quoted.

And I find in my day job understanding why someone is asking a vague question often leads to giving a better answer than trying to further elaborate on the question itself.

My motivation in responding to you....see the first paragraph of this post.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its also worth pointing out that of the 4 people (other than the OP) that have posted in this thread, only 2 have actually responded to the OP and only one has provided anything resembling an answer (well done @vhond,what we really need is more of you).

Make of that what you will about the state of the ASR nation,

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea why you chose to put that comment in this thread if it wasnt aimed at me, given that Jerry was directly criticising my approach in the post you quoted.

And I find in my day job understanding why someone is asking a vague question often leads to giving a better answer than trying to further elaborate on the question itself.

My motivation in responding to you....see the first paragraph of this post.
All I can do is to offer my reassurance that my comment was not directed towards you and hope you’ll give me the benefit of the doubt.

Actually I hadn’t seen your original post until now—I got here from a google search that brought me straight to the middle of the thread. And for the sake of context, I had just finished slogging through several other threads awash with some seriously petty, testosterone-poisoned (or possibly deficient) warfare about some bit of frivolity that was not only off topic, but of questionable value to anyone else whose families of origin issues weren’t aligned with this psychodrama in particular.

But there were still a lot of brilliant and helpful insights calmly piping up in the midst of the sandbox tantrums, so I was happy to take what worked from me and leave the rest to its own devices.

I think one conclusion I can draw from this journey thus far is that we may need a Godwin’s Law that involves invoking MQA instead of Hitler. Peace!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All I can do is to offer my reassurance that my comment was not directed towards you and hope you’ll give me the benefit of the doubt.

Actually I hadn’t seen your original post until now—I got here from a google search that brought me straight to the middle of the thread. And for the sake of context, I had just finished slogging through several other threads awash with some seriously petty, testosterone-poisoned (or possibly deficient) warfare about some bit of frivolity that was not only off topic, but of questionable value to anyone else whose families of origin issues weren’t aligned with this psychodrama in particular.

But there were still a lot of brilliant and helpful insights calmly piping up in the midst of the sandbox tantrums, so I was happy to take what worked from me and leave the rest to its own devices.

I think one conclusion I can draw from on this journey is that we may need a Godwin’s Law that involves invoking MQA instead of Hitler. Peace!
*fist bump*

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Getting back on subject :D
With regards to the sound color options. They are a distortion emulator done with the ess dac chip that adds different harmonic distortion profiles. It's off as a defult and can be accessed in the settings menue.
The dac in default settings will measure extreamly well and be audibly transparent.
I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions about what parts are used inside it.

Top Bottom