Recent content by Shefffield

1. Shefffield

How much impact does driver material actually make?

I'm tempted to approach this discussion with a slightly different angle... My thing is DIY, and since 2010 digitally controlled speakers. With the possibilities of FIR filters and ultra steep digital high and low passes, there's a lot more freedom to address the imperfections of various...
  2. Shefffield

Current music from and about Ukraine and its people- no politics, please.

https://ignea.band/ Oriental Metal from Ukraine. I love it!
  3. Shefffield

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Near Munich, Germany
  4. Shefffield

General discussion/planning for "fully digital" DIY speaker - DAC boards, protocols, interfaces etc

Very interesting! I even thought about getting a pair of the KEF drivers myself and building something around them. I know they're good. And Camilla DSP is also interesting. Back in 2009..10 when we built Zoé we used BruteFIR for convolution. I do like it because I am a Linux guy for almost 20...
  5. Shefffield

General discussion/planning for "fully digital" DIY speaker - DAC boards, protocols, interfaces etc

The goal is to learn. I admit that part of the motivation for this is "because it's possible and unconventional". That doesn't mean that I throw away money though. Quite the opposite. My design has always been modular. So what should stop me from making these modules serviceable? Just put a...
  6. Shefffield

AES67 over Gstreamer is fascinating stuff. I didn't know that Gstreamer can do that. Thank you for the hint! I don't have the ambition to route everything over single cable. I'm perfectly fine with a ring type cabling starting at the convolved PC. Even multiple cables to each speaker can be...
  7. Shefffield

Thanks, guys! Correct, I want to use 'ring-machines' with FIR filtering. So the setup of the whole system is based around a PC host running a convolver software that splits the incoming stereo signal into individual channels for each driver. Currently I use a 3-way speaker, so the software puts...
  8. Shefffield

I don't trust wireless since I read that Bluetooth uses a lossy compression algorithm. A streamer is out of the question because I run my own digital crossover and room correction filters. A PC as head unit is fine for my anyway, I just don't see a need for a streamer. That's just a piece of...
  9. Shefffield

Hello forum, given all the available DIY boards and modules, it should be possible and not overlay complicated to build a DIY speaker that's pretty much fully digital. With that I mean: You connect it to a computer and you're done. Picking good options out of the vast selection is quite a...
  10. Shefffield

In-wall speakers: staging? listening experiences? optimization targets?

I'm not going to angle the speakers. My design is based on the widest dispersion I can achieve. That's why I use 19 or 20 mm tweeters and dome mids. That's why I plan 3 or 4 ways plus subwoofers - to be able to use each driver only in a range where it covers at least +/- 60°, preferably more...
  11. Shefffield

In-wall speakers: staging? listening experiences? optimization targets?

90 mm coax drivers for mid-high above 400..600 Hz are my alternative plan. I'm going to compare them against the mid domes. However, given my 2,5 to 3 m listening distance, I don't expect the vertical dispersion to be that critical. Additionally, I have an attic like living room with a really...
  12. Shefffield

WTB Hypex NC252MP or NC122MP modules

Interesting... I have a friend in Lyon. I could ask him for a favour, to pick it up from the seller. :p
  13. Shefffield

Solder - unleaded or classic Sn60Pb38Cu2?

Wow, that's far more feedback than I was hoping for. Thanks, guys! I think I'll go with Stannol HF32, which seems to be still available from many online shops here in Germany. Since someone was curious, I use an Ersa RDS 80 soldering station, so achieving and holding a sufficient temperature...
  14. Shefffield

Before and After...PASS LAB FirstWatt F5 Turbo V2

Regarding distortion figures, Nelson Pass's papers are interesting imho: https://www.passdiy.com/project/articles/audio-distortion-and-feedback https://www.passdiy.com/project/articles/leaving-class-a I believe I read something in one of his articles that the distortion in a push-pull design...
  15. Shefffield

Solder - unleaded or classic Sn60Pb38Cu2?

Hello, forum! I'm not really good at soldering. In order to maximize my chances for good, reliant connections I still think that using leaded solder makes it a lot easier. As far as I know, it is still legal for private users (here in Europe) to buy and use leaded solder. Where to purchase it...
Top Bottom