Recent content by preload

1. preload

Good-looking power cable

I'd pay up to $100 for subjective appearance, but NOT for a Topping! But that's just me.
  2. preload

Good-looking power cable

Yeah, I'll pay $20 for "looks." :) I doubt there's a UL rating, and I definitely hear your concern on that. It looks like AA is out of stock, but I saw a pair on ebay for even cheaper.
  3. preload

Good-looking power cable

The Pangea AC-14 cords are often discounted to $20 (at least the last time I checked, which was a while back). Can you suggest a better looking IEC cord for the price? Because looks are what the OP is asking about.
  4. preload

Good-looking power cable

That’s like putting chrome wheels on a Prius. But if you insist, checkout the Pangea cords on Audio Advisor.
  5. preload

Genelec, how great are they really? The best?

I have a pair of 8351b’s. They’re pretty good, but not really the holy grail to me. I like my B&W floorstanders a lot more.
  6. preload

Steinway Lyngdorf MODEL D

That's not what the study demonstrated! What you want to say is that the professional violinists did not consistently give higher preference scores to old, expensive violins compared to new/cheaper ones. The data indicate that violinists absolutely should be able to differentiate between an...
  7. preload

Thanks for the link. I read through the paper briskly. I mean, it was "ok." It suggests that "old violins" are not clearly and obviously preferable over "new violins." But it did not say that violinists can't tell the difference between a Strad and a new violim. In fact, the findings...
  8. preload

Interesting. The experiment described was designed to favor the null hypothesis (violins indistinguishable). I mean come on. Each violinist played 6 violins, had to choose their top 4, then rate them on 3 different characteristics? The human sensory memory isn't that good. And because there were...
  9. preload

Well, not quite. The parallel example related to cars would be: Instead of buying a giant $300,000 OLED TV to watch a recording of the Indy 500 race, you could buy a decent race-spec sports car and hire a professional driver to take you on some hot laps around the track.
  10. preload

For $266,000, I could buy a Yamaha and pay a professional concert pianist to play it for me.
  11. preload

Performance vs reliability/serviceability

I generally agree with your list, but have to ask, what is misleading or snake oil about the McIntosh lightbox? I would never buy one, but McIntosh is very clear that all it does is light up for eye candy and provide a location to tuck away your extra cables. A lot of people like the way...
  12. preload

I Changed Astronomy Forever. He Won the Nobel Prize for It

Female listeners also prefer 1dB less bass and 2dB less treble than male listeners, according to Harman research.
  13. preload

I Changed Astronomy Forever. He Won the Nobel Prize for It

Was just about to bring up Rosalind Franklin too.
  14. preload

Ideal speaker for reproducing voice

Interesting exercise. It's partly a trick question, because it would also depend on the recording conditions. For starters, it would probably matter a great deal more that the total system frequency response from mic->playback was perfect than the individial frequency response of the loudspeaker.
  15. preload

Ideal speaker for reproducing voice

There are some folks here that don't like it when certain doctrines are questioned.
Top Bottom