Recent content by preload

1. preload

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Not you. Just the general sentiment whenever a speaker that measures "perfectly" isn't perceived as perfect by people who actually listen to it - that it must be something different/wrong about the listener.
  2. preload

They are only non-sequiturs if you don't understand the logical argument - and you clearly are jumping in without following. My point is, despite having what people seem to think are "perfect measurements," the Genelecs cannot possibly be the pinnacle of sound quality for every person for every...
  3. preload

It's not the tonality. It's the resolution and realism of the reproduction. It's very common here to attack the listeners as somehow "flawed" when they do not hear what you think the measurements say they should hear. The reality, if you're not blinded by group think, is: A) even Harman's own...
  4. preload

You can start by reading the JAES papers from the Harman group, specifically any of the studies involving human subjects and blind listening. We all recognize the existence of bias when listening. Thing is, when listening to transducers, the actual audible difference are large, relative to...
  5. preload

I'm actually not the first person to point out that violins don't sound great on the Genelecs. You are more than welcome to disregard any sighted listening tests you read anywhere, and that's your business. And you absolutely cannot draw the conclusions you're trying to draw from Toole's...
  6. preload

Simply because at the end of the day, the science and understanding of how measurements correlate with perceived sound quality is not complete. The gold standard for each individual is what sounds best to him/her. If the measurement seem to suggest Speaker A will sound better than Speaker B, but...
  7. preload

I hope you understand that Toole is speaking in correlations, not absolutes. He is also providing plain-language summaries in this thread.
  8. preload

How about the second track? I'm more familiar with it, and it doesn't sound bright on the HD800, even without EQ.
  9. preload

HD800 = brighter, with beautiful harmonic detail of the strings Genelec = strings sounded strained and fatiguing When listening to these two recordings on the Genelecs, they sound okay (i.e. you don't know if that's just how the recording was made). But in comparison to the HD800 and a couple...
  10. preload

Thanks and just to clarify, these two tracks were intended to be used for comparison between the Genelecs and HD800 headphones. My impression was that both sounded far superior on the HD800 (with the usual HD800 EQ of course).
  11. preload

Yes, I'm also curious what type of FR can turn a Steinway into a harpsichord.
  12. preload

Right. FR corrected to ANY target, even your own personal one, doesn't account for all of the perceived sound quality. Mostly because a simple 2-dimensional capture doesn't necessarily represent what you perceive, unless your room is an anechoic chamber. Otherwise, there is reflected sound...
  13. preload

Well for starters, in 2021, the so-called preference target you're likely referring to (there are several) doesn't actually account for all of the perceived sound quality.
  14. preload

Any research "could be wrong," even when replicated. JAES strikes me as reasonably academic and is peer reviewed. Absence of replication does not mean the results are not true. Sure, and how often do you see papers where none of the authors have any financial disclosures? Well you're totally...
  15. preload

You need to lower your standards. You can't possibly compare research in audio engineering to research in other disciplines. The Harman papers were obviously funded by Harman. That is disclosed. Replication? You're joking, right? We're lucky enough as it to get the primary papers published by...
Top Bottom