Recent content by MaxRockbin

1. MaxRockbin

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

It just occurred to me that because I'm crossing over at 85db for my sub, I can play louder than if you don't cross over. The amp is the limiting factor, and if it's not playing the low frequencies - which take more power, you've got more headroom. So I'm just saying, take my comment with a...
  2. MaxRockbin

At 1.3M distance, I really don't think you need the bigger speaker. I have the 8030C and it gets loud enough to be uncomfortable (for me) at 1.8M. Of course, if it's important to you to go lower, then yeah. I was deciding between the 8030C and the 8340A and ultimately went with the...
  3. MaxRockbin

Does Speaker Size Determine The Sound?

yup my bad. Depending on the size of the dustcap and marketing overstatement. My JBL 305 "5 inch" drivers aren't close to 5" So the M16 is just has better bass despite less area!
  4. MaxRockbin

Does Speaker Size Determine The Sound?

This whole Big vs Small thing has been batted around a lot, but there IS some actual data. I was curious so I just looked up reviews on ASR for Revel speakers in the same product series - since there are more reviews for Revel than anything else, I think. The closest to a Big/Little shootout...
  5. MaxRockbin

Interesting that you decided not to put them really close to the wall - as Genelec recommends to reduce boundary interference. I did the same thing. I ended up with mine just a little farther from the wall than yours (and in a little bit smaller equilateral triangle). They just sound better...
  6. MaxRockbin

A tale of two speakers (B2031A and 8030c)

I own the 8030c's so I suppose I am biased. I do absolutely agree, you need a sub with these speakers. And they have limited power, so at any distance beyond about 1.5 -2 M - say 4-6 feet - they won't cut it. I think with a sub and with digital room correction and within a distance...
  7. MaxRockbin

Hearing test

My hearing cuts of at around 12-13khz (see my signature) and I'm a little younger than you. Room treatment helped music sound better - somewhat. Hearing loss is more complicated than just loss, and the ability to interpret reflections as part just part of the music - as part of the room...
  8. MaxRockbin

Can you get Spotify "Very High Quality" Through a Streamer/non Spotify Inc App?

Per Spotify, you cannot adjust their "music quality" through their web interface. Also, looking at their Web API there is no way to adjust audio quality if you roll your own app. As far as I have found, their default is a paltry 96 kbp/s. (e.g. https://getconcertmaster.com/ is a nice web app...
  9. MaxRockbin

I saw the post about rust and almost started to type a reply like this (not as thorough)- apologizing to be pedantic etc. But then I saw 3 other people already corrected him. Because ASR. :)
  10. MaxRockbin

KEF R3 vs Revel M106

I think I'd go for the R3, though I gotta say IRL, making this same decision, deciding between those and the Genelec 8030c, I went Genelec (and am super happy with them). Though I'm near-to-mid field. For a larger room/more than 2 meters distance, the R3 probably win. And, of course, plus...
  11. MaxRockbin

Cheap/Free/Inexpensive Improvements in Sound Quality?

Isolation is not quite as easy a fix as using stuff like this. Isolation using basically a damped spring - like rubbery or corky material - depends very much on the weight of what you're putting on them and the frequencies you're trying to damp. Sorbothane has all sort of info on this relating...
  12. MaxRockbin

For what it's worth, I have mine crossed over at 82hz and find them to be way more than loud enough in my small room at 1.4m ear to driver. I've never seen the red light come on. I don't listen to them at high levels too often though.
  13. MaxRockbin

This doesn't fully answer your question, but this is what Genelec told me about getting more headroom on the monitors by high-passing. I do recommend contacting them. They were very helpful to me before I bought my 8030Cs - and very patient.
  14. MaxRockbin

Dayton iMM-6 vs miniDSP UMIK-1

I don't have any personal experience with this, but just to complicate things and add an alternative--another low cost measurement mic recommended by a guy with a youtube channel who does studio treatment: Behringer ECM8000 As of right now, $29 on sweetwater, $32 on Thomann.
Top Bottom