Recent content by jbags

1. J

What are we listening to right now..

From the Top radio program features Peter Dugan hosting and playing piano with young classical artists around the USA. The music compositions are fresh and young talent are exceptional. Available online at KUSC on Sunday nights 6 to 7pm Pacific time. https://fromthetop.org/about-us/
  2. J

Am I wrong? It seems like there's one significant thing left that could improve audio playback for everyone

Thanks for The Pineapple Thief hint. It sounds great to me in stereo.
  3. J

$250 vs $950 vacuum record cleaning system comparison

yes, vinyl warps at prolonged high temps. Lots of folks have positive results with smaller steam cleaner appliances. Here is a link Steam cleaning vinyl records
  4. J

$250 vs $950 vacuum record cleaning system comparison

I like my steam cleaning process. It does well with minimal cost and stuff to store. An old turn table spins the records at 45 rpm. Distilled water, and home brew cleaning solutions, brushes, a cheap steamer for clothes, and a vinyl vac attachment for a little shop vac.
  5. J

What are we listening to right now..

“The greatest advance in sound since high fidelity was invented!” 1961 I found this LP at a yard sale yesterday. It is amazingly clear, kind of gimmicky but in a good way. This was actually a big seller in its day.
  6. J

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Basic thermodynamics show internal combustion engines are about 25% efficient, so 75% of the energy in gasoline is turned into waste heat: radiators, exhaust, and braking heat. Electric motors are about 95% efficient, and electric steam generators are about 40% efficient. So battery electric...
  7. J

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

there is still inefficiency in refining oil and distributing it to gas stations all over the country. but fuel cells themselves are way more efficient than internal combustion engines.
  8. J

no, we still have beach fires in Orange County CA, beachfront home owners tried to ban them, but that effort failed.
  9. J

Relax, many hybrids and electric cars use Nickle Hydride batteries.
  10. J

Battery Power for our Systems?

I like this topic because much of the cost of audio components is in the power supply, and chassis. Most of us have multiple components all with their own power supplies that convert AC power to DC. It is redundant and costly. Why not just use one power supple, and a 12V lead acid battery...
  11. J

We bought a plug in Toyota Hybrid RAV4 last year. The 40 mile commute using electricity for charging the battery at home costs $2.13. The same commute, using the California price for gasoline costs $5.80. Charging the battery at home is much easier than a trip to the gas station. Refining...
  12. J

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

Winking Owl wine at Aldi is very good. $2.19/ bottle.
  13. J

Ok, what about top three female rock vocalists?

Linda Ronstadt Debra Harry Joan Jett
Top Bottom