Recent content by DesertHawk

1. DesertHawk

Schiit Freya+ Pre-amp Review

I came to post that I think the price you list is wrong (too high) but I see now it depends on which tubes you select.
  2. DesertHawk

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

I hate touch screens. Tactical buttons ftw imho.
  3. DesertHawk

Why are preamps so expensive?

I think D) might be the area I was most overlooking. Thanks.
  4. DesertHawk

It's a fair question. At the risk of sounding snarky, I really do understand supply and demand and admittedly don't understand manufacturing audio equipment. But my question basically boils down to: A preamp = "electrical guts" + connectors + manufacturing A power amp = "different electrical...
  5. DesertHawk

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

It's interesting when comparing this review to the Crown XLS 2502 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/crown-xls2502-stereo-amplifier-review.10627/ With the risk of generalizing, the people who are questioning this amp seem to be questioning the power. The counter...
  6. DesertHawk

I think it's fair to question the amp's usefulness given what it costs and it's power level.
  7. DesertHawk

nonsequitur. Plenty of high end brands have exorbitant prices. Doesn't mean anything when evaluating this particular amp.
  8. DesertHawk

What do you mean cynical? Did they provide samples with the assumed benefit of generating hype near their release? Sure, but I don't think that makes them evil. Did they bias Amir's or others' reviews? That a much, much more serious accusation. As for the 88% rating it good or great, I mean...
  9. DesertHawk

I don't want to speak for everyone but I think it's a question of ideal amp use and price point. At this price, I think it's fair to compare to purifi and Hypex builds. You say worse performance but minimally worse (and possibly not audibly worse). And it's not exactly fair to say you have to...
  10. DesertHawk

LOL. Maybe. I haven't checked. It's been a long time since I have even thought about traveling to Europe. That said, if I was getting a purifi or Hypex, I'd start with Buckeye.
  11. DesertHawk

Well, any of the purifi or Hypex based amps. If you aren't in Europe then audiophonics probably isn't going to be your "go to".
  12. DesertHawk

Any concerns about reliability or build quality? Did the pa5 issues get worked out?
  13. DesertHawk

If we are just playing "name stupid expensive preamps" then my pick would be pass labs xp32 https://www.passlabs.com/products/xp-32/
  14. DesertHawk

How do you square that away with Amir saying, "Honestly, there is no way I could ever build you a preamp with this functionality and performance and sell it at this price." There must be something in there that cost alot.
  15. DesertHawk

I thought maybe something like this might be the case. Are there situations when this doesn't matter? For example, do can you "get away" with directly connecting your dac if you have active speakers instead of passive? Does the output impedance of your dac (or phono stage or whatever) make a...
Top Bottom