Recent content by BRVO

1. B

Headphone impedance and stereo receiver compatibility

Adu, I am late returning to this thread, so many apologies for my tardy reply. This is a wonderful explanation, and it really helped a novice like me understand some of the fundamentals associated with this topic. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to set all this out, as it really...
  2. B

Thank you so much for this. That is a really useful list.
  3. B

Thanks all. This is far more involved/complicated than I expected. I have some reading to do, clearly.
  4. B

I'm grateful for your reply. At the same time, I don't understand it. Are you saying that the headphone output is poor? I'll do some reading to try and figure out what those numbers mean, but with apologies, I know very little about audio.
  5. B

Hello all Please forgive what may be a very silly question. I own a Yamaha R-N803 stereo receiver. I would like to purchase headphones for use with this unit. They won't be used for any other purpose. I've been told that the R-N803 will not have enough 'oomph' to properly power a set of...
  6. B

Marantz HD-DAC1

Thanks for that! That is a significant jump in price point, but oh well. It IS a premium product, after all.
  7. B

Marantz HD-DAC1

Hello friends I see that the HD-DAC1 has been discontinued. Does anyone 'in the know' have an idea whether Marantz plans to release a new version of this? Thanks!
  8. B

audio setup for computer

Thank you, thank you. Just so that I am crystal clear - passive speakers would require an additional amp if I keep the D1. Active speakers would not. Am I close?
  9. B

audio setup for computer

If opting for a subwoofer that filters, does it matter whether the connected speakers are passive or powered?
  10. B

audio setup for computer

Understood completely, and you're being a great help! It sounds like receivers for this purpose aren't a recommended course, primarily for desk real estate. I'll look at the more compact options being mentioned.
  11. B

audio setup for computer

Thank you very much for this. I have learned a great deal this evening by researching your various points to learn what they mean! I didn't understand what crossover was, for example. I gather from your second paragraph that most DACs with sub out will send a signal to the speakers which...
  12. B

audio setup for computer

Hello Vincent! I have done as suggested, and the same speaker continues to produce the intermittent crackling. Given that this appears to be a speaker problem as opposed to a DAC issue, is all hope lost for this set? It is the powered rather than passive speaker that is the issue.
  13. B

audio setup for computer

This is great, many thanks. I will swap the connections as suggested and report back. As for the set-up, I will need to walk through this. I don't believe that my sound is configured like this. See! You're talking to an idiot.
  14. B

audio setup for computer

Thank you so much for this. At a glance, the Topping looks like the preferred route although I will read the reviews in greater depth this evening. I assume from these recommendations that a receiver isn't ideal?
  15. B

audio setup for computer

Thank you for your reply. I have a budget of CAN$350 or so, slightly fluid depending upon recommendations. The headphone amplifier replaces a headphone connection straight to the PC, correct? Effectively the headphone connectivity that the D1 currently provides? That would be ideal, yes...
Top Bottom