Recent content by bquimby

1. B

The Truth About Music Streaming

Well, we come into this world with nothing, and we leave the same way :) . And I quite like listening to music I make myself, so, worst case, I'd still have music to listen to :p .
  2. B

My God, Its Full of Snake Oil

I can see the "Visit Denmark" posters: "Take your vacation in Denmark! It's literally a big pile of sand! Come for the mud, stay for the rain and darkness! (But we do have Hygge...)" :p
  3. B

Extreme Snake Oil

Indeed, it will literally make no difference whatsoever. It simply cannot. More than that, as I noted this on another thread, none of these "audiophile" switches that I've seen is managed, which means they are very basic in terms of functionality: no QoS, no VLAN capabilities, no link...
  4. B

I don't like all the non-biodegradable CDs cluttering up landfill. I don't like the amount of petrochemicals and other dodgy stuff that goes into their production, nor the reduced MTBF for the players (and their associated disposal issues) induced by all the electromechanical complexity...
  5. B

An excellent summary. On the subject of UDP and its reliability, I would also note that it's still the L4 protocol of choice in lots of one-to-many applications because it underlies multicast. For example, in financial trading, real-time market data is distributed by the financial trading...
  6. B

I listen to lots of new music, stuff that I would otherwise not hear if I didn't subscribe to a streaming service, since I cannot abide listening to the radio - that's for various reasons: partly because radio stations don't generally play the kind of music I like, but primarily because I...
  7. B

And, apparently, it's also "noisy". I put my ear against my router the other day but I couldn't hear anything, so I stuck the coaxial connector in my ear: still nothing! I obviously don't have the required hearing sensitivity for picking up Internet noise... :p
  8. B

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Ah, so the tenor of the discussion for such bits of hardware has moved on significantly, then, to the point where such a response doesn't occur in contemporaneous reviews of similar products? Good to know!
  9. B

Snake Oil Department, Top This

I'm not an "audiophile". I like listening to music, and I write, play and mix my music in my spare time, but my day job is IT - I was a UNIX engineer for over a decade, a firewall and network engineer for nearly as long, and now I am technical owner of the trading platform of a major European...
  10. B

Buffalo Audio Switch - What do you guys think about this product?

I was once on a network troubleshooting conference call, back when I worked for a huge financial trading company, and we had a couple of engineers also present from the small trading exchange that we were connecting to, over leased-line. Data was getting dropped, we said they had issues on...
  11. B

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

That's always been my understanding too. And why would a port manufacturer not provide the isolation mandated by the IEEE 802.3 standard? There'd be no utility in omitting such a standard-compliant element from something that's pretty much commoditised now, because no-one would buy your...
  12. B

Buffalo Audio Switch - What do you guys think about this product?

The...Internet is...noisy? In what way? I'd really like to understand exactly how "noise" is introduced to the datastream. Thanks in advance for your help! :D
Top Bottom