• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

PeteL

Major Contributor
Every operating system eventually stops supporting a certain hardware platform. It will happen. i do have a very capable Samsung S10+ I got in 2019. It runs Android 11 now, but Samsung will probably not support Android 12 on it. It always eventually happens.
Sure but smartphones is different, at it's core streaming is IP basef the firmare physically on the M10 do not carre about the platform where the remote app is.

tkr

EDIT: deleted (posted on the wrong thread)

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New v2.

The NAD M10 V2 includes audiophile–grade speaker terminals and two independent subwoofer jacks. Output settings for the subwoofer are easily controlled and adjusted through the BluOS Controller app. Home theatre fans can easily build a Dolby Digital Surround Sound wireless 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2 immersive home theatre system using a pair of BluOS surround-enabled wireless speakers or amplifiers. The M10 V2 is capable of transmitting to rear channels wirelessly, with very low latency, making connecting wires around the room unnecessary.

TOTAL CONTROL

The M10 V2 offers an abundance of control options the most captivating of which is a beautiful full- color touchscreen front panel. New to this iteration of the product is an included an IR remote control for easy access to basic audio controls and presets. Streaming music can be controlled through the BluOS app, which includes dozens of natively integrated music streaming services and thousands of Internet radio stations. The M10 V2 supports AirPlay 2, Bluetooth aptX HD, is Roon Ready, and can be used with popular voice control assistants. For smart homes, the M10 V2 can be integrated into Control4, Crestron, Lutron, and other home-automation systems, so you can control music playback, along with other home systems like lighting, shades, HVAC, and security.

SMALL AND MIGHTY

Bringing everything but the speakers to the hi-fi experience, the M10 V2 features audiophile-grade amplification and DAC, with built in sources and pre-amp capabilities. Featuring an upgraded 7” IPS color touchscreen, the M10V2 delivers purer colors and a wider viewing angle than its predecessor. Renowned nCore amplification technology conservatively rated at 100 watts per channel is included behind the full-color display that doubles as an intuitive touchscreen controller for volume, sources and other audio controls. The M10 V2’s updated gain algorithms allow for higher output levels with inefficient speakers. Higher gain is also included in the subwoofer outputs, which allows for a wider range of subwoofer-main speaker combinations. Its highly acclaimed ESS Sabre DAC effortlessly handles BluOS audio streams, which processes up to 24-bit/192kHz, and supports MQA and other lossless and high-resolution audio formats from streaming services such as Amazon Music Ultra HD, Deezer, Qobuz, and Tidal.

ROOM FRIENDLY

Created by the award-winning design firm DF-ID, the M10 V2 features a solid brushed aluminium chassis and Gorilla Glass top and front panels. The minimalist design allows for the M10 V2 to fit into any living space, With the addition of Dirac Live room correction, any listening room can achieve acoustic perfection. The enclosed calibrated microphone allows for measurement of the room’s acoustic anomalies, helping to correct peaks and dips caused by the room’s acoustics up to 500Hz (a full-bandwidth version is available through Dirac). Up to five listening profiles can be uploaded and saved to create a tailored experience if there are multiple listening positions, you have two or more channels active or want to compensate for whether or not the curtains are drawn, for example.

THOROUGHLY MODERN HI-FI

The NAD Masters M10 V2 epitomizes thoroughly modern hi-fi for today’s listener featuring a variety of different playback options. Through the user-friendly BluOS app, listeners are able to play music from their favorite streaming service, as well as locally stored music. The M10 V2 includes RCA analogue, optical and coaxial digital, HDMI eARC, and USB Type A inputs, to connect compact disc players, game consoles, external drives, media adapters, flat-panel displays, and other components. Two-way aptX HD Bluetooth is also featured showcasing the versatility of the M10 V2. Listeners are further able to choose their listening medium of choice such as stereo loudspeakers, wireless headphones, a surround sound setup or a multi-room set-up of up to 63 other BluOS wireless players. The NAD Masters M10 V2 BluOS Streaming amplifier is a modern system for the modern listener.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Does it have any sort of bass management for the sub outs? It appears not, sadly ...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

iLoveCats

IMG_20210823_053443.jpg
IMG_20210823_053449.jpg
IMG_20210823_053452.jpg

PeteL

Major Contributor

MarkS

Major Contributor
I'm trying to understand what Dirac is doing with the sub-outs in the M10. There is something called "Dirac Bass Management"; is this it? If not, what does Dirac Bass Management do that the M10 does not?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm trying to understand what Dirac is doing with the sub-outs in the M10. There is something called "Dirac Bass Management"; is this it? If not, what does Dirac Bass Management do that the M10 does not?
@Kal Rubinson gave a very nice explanation in the M33 review thread.

Jone5

So, my NAD M10 fried while listening :) Maybe the protection circuit and/or heat protection were not so effective after all. Basically I was listening to music with volume almost maxed out (around -5dB or so) when suddenly the sound distorted and smoke started to came out from the air gaps on the side of the amp. Speakers are completely fine, so the failure was not caused by for example tweeter blowing and shortcircuiting the amp stage. Unfortunately the amp is just over 2 years old so warranty does not apply anymore (at least granted by importer/distributor in Finland), but hopefully I be able to get it covered from the home insurance policy (claim is still pending/open).

My setup has separate sub and I had crossover set to 80 Hz so I'm assuming the amp was not delivering massive amount of power to main speakers even though the music was decently loud. Funny and scary thing was that the amp stayed powered on even with very heavy smoke and I was afraid it to actually catch on fire, so I had to unplug the power cable to stop the madness.

As I mentioned in the M33 thread (I'm still considering bying another NAD product :D), just days before frying the amp I think I noticed some change in the perceived loudness with the M10 using same volume as earlier after some recent firmware update. Has anyone else noted this, or is this placebo of some sort :D And can this be related to the M10 V2 improvement "The M10 V2’s updated gain algorithms allow for higher output levels with inefficient speakers.", so did they introduce this to the old version as well with the firmware upgrade.

Maybe my complaints to the NAD user support about insufficient gain especially with dirac (-10dB headroom) eventually reached the development team and they did something to the internal gain structure.

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider
Unfortunately the amp is just over 2 years old so warranty does not apply anymore (at least granted by importer/distributor in Finland), but hopefully I be able to get it covered from the home insurance policy (claim is still pending/open).
Alternatively, maybe you can contact NAD itself explaining what happened and ask them to sell you a new unit (new model :) ) at a significant discount because of that?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Any chance there was an accidental short somewhere between output and speakers?

Jone5

Alternatively, maybe you can contact NAD itself explaining what happened and ask them to sell you a new unit (new model :) ) at a significant discount because of that?
I'll first see how the insurance claim turns out. I contacted the importer to explain what happened and to ask if they would be willing to extend the guarantee period (just couple of months over/expired) or at leat partially compensate for the damage, but they were pretty strict with their opinion that this is caused by an user error (which I strongly disagree of course).

Maybe I'll just contact NAD directly afterwards to just inform them that something went terribly wrong with this unit. I managed to get a video of the smoking amp after unplugging the mains, so I can at least show them the evidence. Anyway I have no hard feelings at the moment while still believing that the insurance will cover the losses.

Jone5

Any chance there was an accidental short somewhere between output and speakers?
Pretty sure no, speakers were fine after testing with another amp. Before hooking up to another amp I measured the speakers with multimeter to verify that there were no short between.

Top Bottom