• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What was your first “Stereo” like?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aiwa midi-system very similar to this one:

The speakers are single driver, the 'tweeters' are just painted on to the grille cloth.

jcebedo11

my first stereo was a craig mini system (mid 90s) the ones with the tape deck, cd player and radio. I often played with the its 5 band equalizer. Then I had the Yamaha YST M10 computer speakers ( i really liked how it reproduced vocals, it was a single driver 3" full range). Then Cambridge soundworks microworks. My first real "audiophile" speakers were Paradigm Mini Monitors. Then the Sound Dynamics RTS 3, Then the Dynaudio Contour 1.3. And now the Mackie HR824 (which i have owned probably the longest and probably the last as long as it keeps working).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Little JVC with separate little speakers. Before that had been boombox tape players. The JVC had CD!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
As a family, we had the classic department store $399 rack system with what were essentially cardboard speakers. I also had an array of different boom box type things. But the first real system that I put together with my own money after I started at my first job consisted of an NAD amp and Cassette deck, a Yamaha turntable, a pioneer CD player and some nice Paradigm 5se speakers. Oh, and some boutique speaker cable! lol...

iMickey503

Forum Donor
The First set of speakers I bought was these with my First Job in Highschool.
d19b1379c8631d1afb35884b955cce50.jpg

After about 25 years? One of the woofers started buzzing, so I took it out of service. Surprising thing is? Both the Piezo and the Cone tweeter stopped working LONG ago.

To get more Bass out of them, I put them in these Stupid end tables (The Hexagon kind) and it REALLY increased the bass output. Like by A LOT.

The REciver? I think it was a YORX or something. Not even sure where I picked it up from. Think it was just something I picked up walking home one day that someone was just giving away at the end of the Driveway.

The only thing I really listened to back then was the RADIO.

My next step was Home theater, and that was a TEAC AVR I picked up at some Liquidator store in Bremerton.
Speakers were all Polk audio if I can remember. Then Some Bose 201's? KLH Subwoofer. Then a Sony Subwoofer added, and then I think some Sony Bookshelf speakers. None was to impressive.

for home audio everything that I purchase really wasn't all that impressive for me in fact I always wanted to get a set of Martin Logan's and then when I listen to them they just weren't for me that was the first time I was serious about actually getting some real speakers but after auditioning them at the Magnolia Hi-Fi they just did not meet my expectations.

the only speakers I've ever truly been in love with are the magnepans which I purchased approximately 3 years ago and then my second set after that. I have lots of speakers but I just kind of purchased them or manage to come around them on a lark.

my only real project in the future is to build some MASSIVE line array with all these dynaudio speakers I have laying around which I have I think about Fourteen 10 inch woofers , Four 5.25 inch woofers, Ten Dome Midranges with three working Dynaudio tweeters. I plan to get Joeseph Peelon in Denmark to make me some Large Ribbon tweeters that are about 6 feet high. I have a design I want to pitch to him that would take care of the beam pattern and limited dispersion. (I hope) it's something I have planned for when my son either goes to college or the military.

I did build my own subwoofer back in Highschool with these 8 inch version of these that I quickly burnt out.
mbenttlhvlqschfnjerv.jpg

I made an Isobaric version of a tube subwoofer out of some round cardboard tubes I got when helping out my Parents at Kyocera. I used a glue gun and Sparkly Glue sticks to put it together and an Amp I had found while walking home that one channel did not work. It was a Rare Sansui. I remember there being Resistors on the caps.
I was thinking this was a bad thing and took them off and then the amp sort of... Went up in smoke. So did my Thump Speakers.

I was such a fool to throw that thing away. It had VU meters and everything.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"That was some bullshit."
I know. But got me through sixth form and the first year at University.

From memory I paid £170 for it which is a staggering £510 today or $700 in USD. And it was bottom of the range too.

In my defence I was 17 and didn't know my arse from my elbow. I did go to a proper hi-fi shop first but their cheapest amplifier cost more than my budget for the whole system.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Mine consisted of a Weathers TT (Audax arm/Pickering cartridge), Eico HFt-90 (with stereo adapter), Eico HF-81 integrated amp, Weathers Bookshelf speakers, University DVC woofer.

OP
Blownwoofer78

Blownwoofer78

The First set of speakers I bought was these with my First Job in Highschool.
d19b1379c8631d1afb35884b955cce50.jpg

After about 25 years? One of the woofers started buzzing, so I took it out of service. Surprising thing is? Both the Piezo and the Cone tweeter stopped working LONG ago.

To get more Bass out of them, I put them in these Stupid end tables (The Hexagon kind) and it REALLY increased the bass output. Like by A LOT.

The REciver? I think it was a YORX or something. Not even sure where I picked it up from. Think it was just something I picked up walking home one day that someone was just giving away at the end of the Driveway.

The only thing I really listened to back then was the RADIO.

My next step was Home theater, and that was a TEAC AVR I picked up at some Liquidator store in Bremerton.
Speakers were all Polk audio if I can remember. Then Some Bose 201's? KLH Subwoofer. Then a Sony Subwoofer added, and then I think some Sony Bookshelf speakers. None was to impressive.

for home audio everything that I purchase really wasn't all that impressive for me in fact I always wanted to get a set of Martin Logan's and then when I listen to them they just weren't for me that was the first time I was serious about actually getting some real speakers but after auditioning them at the Magnolia Hi-Fi they just did not meet my expectations.

the only speakers I've ever truly been in love with are the magnepans which I purchased approximately 3 years ago and then my second set after that. I have lots of speakers but I just kind of purchased them or manage to come around them on a lark.

my only real project in the future is to build some MASSIVE line array with all these dynaudio speakers I have laying around which I have I think about Fourteen 10 inch woofers , Four 5.25 inch woofers, Ten Dome Midranges with three working Dynaudio tweeters. I plan to get Joeseph Peelon in Denmark to make me some Large Ribbon tweeters that are about 6 feet high. I have a design I want to pitch to him that would take care of the beam pattern and limited dispersion. (I hope) it's something I have planned for when my son either goes to college or the military.

I did build my own subwoofer back in Highschool with these 8 inch version of these that I quickly burnt out.
mbenttlhvlqschfnjerv.jpg

I made an Isobaric version of a tube subwoofer out of some round cardboard tubes I got when helping out my Parents at Kyocera. I used a glue gun and Sparkly Glue sticks to put it together and an Amp I had found while walking home that one channel did not work. It was a Rare Sansui. I remember there being Resistors on the caps.
I was thinking this was a bad thing and took them off and then the amp sort of... Went up in smoke. So did my Thump Speakers.

I was such a fool to throw that thing away. It had VU meters and everything.
I had a pair of those KLH speakers. I think the tweeter was fake or a piezo chirper with a dome glued on…I ended up taking them apart. I used them for “surround sound” hooking up both + to the back and linking a common - together. It was from a diagram I saw in stereo review.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A reel-to-reel tape deck that my uncle passed along+ a Fisher tube amp & turntable + KLH speakers. Vintage and weird. Used that through around 8th grade, when I got a job go-fering at a hifi store (Atlantis Sound), where I obtained some stuff on salesman’s discount.

After that it was AR9 speakers, an Onkyo Integrated Amp, Dual turntable, Kenwood Tuner, and a (I forget) Tape Deck, which I used through (boarding) high school.

In college (‘82-‘86), I bought B&W bookshelf speakers and a more powerful Yamaha Amp, and my first CD player (Mission). Yeah, a hifi store got hold of me. I also had a weird linear-tracking turntable - I forget who made it.

JRS

Major Contributor
Very first I bought (vs gift from parents): Marantz 1200 int amp, AR-5 speakers, Technics SL-1500 TT, Stanton 681EEE
Back in the day, even "gilded" brands like Marantz could be had for 70% of retail thru mail order houses (and there were many). System cost about $1k. The other thing that strikes me as odd in retrospect, given how much money that was back in 1972, was that I was able to save that working part-time as a bus boy. Stranger still is if I still had it and were to sell it, I could get the original price back + some, and buy a comparable system today.

Attachments

• marantz1200IA.PNG
    marantz1200IA.PNG
    405.3 KB · Views: 71
  • technicsTT2.jpg
    technicsTT2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 52
  • ar5.jpg
    ar5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 49

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My first “stereo” in ~1955 was a mono record player that I added an inexpensive speaker and Dynaco kit amp.
so, actually dual-mono… Oh well :oops:

The first real stereo sound I heard was a R to R with stereo demonstration recording of train going across the room! I was hooked!!

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know. But got me through sixth form and the first year at University.

From memory I paid £170 for it which is a staggering £510 today or $700 in USD. And it was bottom of the range too.

In my defence I was 17 and didn't know my arse from my elbow. I did go to a proper hi-fi shop first but their cheapest amplifier cost more than my budget for the whole system.
To be fair it probably sounded as good or better than my 4W PC boombox. Which if I remember correctly cost around £90 in 1980 - £400 today.

SKBubba

What was your first “Stereo” like?​

My first stereo was very Realistic. Said so right there on all the components.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair it probably sounded as good or better than my 4W PC boombox. Which if I remember correctly cost around £90 in 1980 - £400 today

I don't know where I found the money. My Saturday job stacking shelves paid a tenner for the whole day.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
The first one I had of my own in my first place was a Stromber- Carlson console.

No, I am not that old- it was a hand me down, honest!

Midwest Blade

Grew up with hifi equipment as far back as I remember. Dad built a set of speakers, tube amp and a record player from some sort of DIY kit. Older brother started to add on with a Sansui Receiver a real turntable and then speakers. I was pretty lucky in my early teens and spent most of the time collecting records.

After a couple of bad purchase decisions my first real system arrived in my early 20's. I remember it well - Micro Seiko BL 51 turntable with a Fidelity Research tone arm, Audionics CC2/BT2 pre and power amp and IMF Electronic ALS 30 speakers. I was into the whole audiophile thing and spent a lot of Saturday afternoons visiting the shops around town.

Top Bottom