• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Frgirard

Major Contributor
what stupid things are you referring to? I don't really see the relevance to covid.
in 2020, planet earth suffered the pandemic of a coronavirus called covid19. It seemed to me that any extraterrestrial landing on Earth would quickly know about it.

the knowledge ....

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
OK, I'm lost. There were a lot of lies about Covid 19 but which ones? Are they still being told? I'm not sure what you are referring too. Oh, I'm going to buy a $10,000 power cable today and see if it helps my Polk T50 speakers come alive even more through my $300 10 year old receiver. That should give everyone something to think about! :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Victor Martell

I am not sure where this thread went - posting here because I did not want to open a new thread for this.

Saw the following:

And I really had a hard time working out... what that was... really... until it hit me! :D - My problem is that I had to clear my head of the barrier on why one would want to pay 5000 Pounds for this... seriously? :D

v

aslan7

Lots of the big shot audiophiles hold Melco in very high esteem. I can’t figure out what it does that my iMac and a good DAC doesn’t do. Would be interested to know why this is such a big deal.

Victor Martell

Lots of the big shot audiophiles hold Melco in very high esteem. I can’t figure out what it does that my iMac and a good DAC doesn’t do. Would be interested to know why this is such a big deal.

Make that just the good Mac! :D this box does not even have a DAC! - it's just running some opensource UPnP server - it does give you a dedicated Ethernet port for the player - again, the bogeyman of electrical noise...

v

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You need to remember that these are extremely niche products. Furthermore, material/labour cost is extremely high in Japan. Of course, there is brand name as well.

Perhaps, you should also ask yourself why you want to spend the additional money for iMac instead of a cheaper windows PC?

Victor Martell

You need to remember that these are extremely niche products. Furthermore, material/labour cost is extremely high in Japan. Of course, there is brand name as well.

Perhaps, you should also ask yourself why you want to spend the additional money for iMac instead of a cheaper windows PC?

1. The cost to build could be high, therefore the retail price might need to be high. Sure in relation to cost, the price might be justified. The problem is that the product is unnecessary.
2. NO. I ask myself is what it the point of this product given that is a lot more expensive than most Macs - my choice BTW, would be Linux, not Mac or Windows. But that is neither here or there. IT IS A SILLY PRODUCT. The tree of the relatively high price of a Mac (that, BTW, was just mentioned by someone else as something he/she already has) is obscuring the forest of the silliness of this thing...

v

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1. The cost to build could be high, therefore the retail price might need to be high. Sure in relation to cost, the price might be justified. The problem is that the product is unnecessary.
2. NO. I ask myself is what it the point of this product given that is a lot more expensive than most Macs - my choice BTW, would be Linux, not Mac or Windows. But that is neither here or there. IT IS A SILLY PRODUCT. The tree of the relatively high price of a Mac (that, BTW, was just mentioned by someone else as something he/she already has) is obscuring the forest of the silliness of this thing...

v

Well, be it silly or unnecessary, since they are still making and selling the product, it shows there is definitely some demand for it. Btw, there are other brands as well. We need to rmember that not everyone wants to go through the hassle of setting up a PC/NAS etc..... some wants it just plug and play.

Victor Martell

Well, be it silly or unnecessary, since they are still making and selling the product, it shows there is definitely some demand for it. Btw, there are other brands as well. We need to rmember that not everyone wants to go through the hassle of setting up a PC/NAS etc..... some wants it just plug and play.

True - BUT - when your product makes the Roon Nucleus seem like a reasonable bargain... :D

aslan7

I think Apple makes wonderful products with fine monitors. They also last forever which is a big plus for me. My PCs barely made it for three years. When you have their phones, which have exceptional cameras, everything interfaces well. I have been very pleased with their lossless audio files. So I am a dedicated Apple enthusiast even though their proprietary attitude can be annoying at times.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's just an unwritten audiophile rule that anything sounds better if it's in a fancy stackable enclosure and has a hefty price tag :D
pretty much. People I know who moved from laptop to expensive streaming devices make claims like the soundstage is wider/deeper and similar ephemeral stuff.

No direct comparisons are ever done even one without any controls. They just rely on memory. But they are happy with the 'upgrade', at least for a while, so to an extent it's money well spent I suppose.

If you don't have basic understanding of what a computer is and how it works then anything can seem possible.

Top Bottom