• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think Apple makes wonderful products with fine monitors. They also last forever which is a big plus for me. My PCs barely made it for three years. When you have their phones, which have exceptional cameras, everything interfaces well. I have been very pleased with their lossless audio files. So I am a dedicated Apple enthusiast even though their proprietary attitude can be annoying at times.

People who likes melco will have praises for it just like how you are praising apple. For myself, i am not a fan of apple and i dont see any good in it. There is nothing my pc cant do compared to apple.

Last edited:

aslan7

I was thinking about getting a server or streaming device to house my 1,000 ripped CDs and listening to international streaming stations—that’s when I first encountered Melco. But after looking around I couldn’t identify any advantages. I think some servers show the album cover of whatever is playing. To me it would be hard to beat the iMac. I did get Roon which seems great for indexing files and providing articles on the composers and performers but there’s no discernible improvement in sound. The audio companies seem to invent new components that they tell you are must haves when in fact the market is now minimalist.

Victor Martell

I was thinking about getting a server or streaming device to house my 1,000 ripped CDs and listening to international streaming stations—that’s when I first encountered Melco. But after looking around I couldn’t identify any advantages. I think some servers show the album cover of whatever is playing. To me it would be hard to beat the iMac. I did get Roon which seems great for indexing files and providing articles on the composers and performers but there’s no discernible improvement in sound. The audio companies seem to invent new components that they tell you are must haves when in fact the market is now minimalist.

I think that is my main point - what is the advantage (that you can prove, of course, not intangibles, personal subjective preference ) ? Maybe not extremely snake oil in concept - to me the label applies on PRICE - 5000 pounds sterling - that is almost $7000 dollars - it boggles MY mind, when I can recreate the functionality for around $800, top of my head, again indistinguishable on sound... Like I said, it makes the Roon Nucleus ( a bit overpriced, in my mind) look like a bargain and the smart choice!

v

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
.... There is nothing my pc cant do compared to apple.
Being a tinkerer, I enjoy being able to customize and tweak things the way PCs allow. Unfortunately, that can also lead to 'reliability' issues with them.

.... They also last forever which is a big plus for me. My PCs barely made it for three years....
There is a lot to be said for the software company controlling the hardware, ensuring compatibility, and being able to fix the prices quite high to keep the quality up.

In the PC world many shoppers go mostly by price, which requires the manufactures that are going after those customers to build them as cheaply as possible.

I buy good PCs and they have always lasted me until their specs can't handle the current software anymore. I have relatives that always look for the 'deals' and theirs last a few years and that is it.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I buy good PCs and they have always lasted me until their specs can't handle the current software anymore. I have relatives that always look for the 'deals' and theirs last a few years and that is it.
Same here. I get refurbished workstations/servers that are about 5 years old for a fraction of their original price. Pro systems that are designed to run 24/7 at 100% capacity. It takes some effort to modify the OS settings to be responsive to real time processes, but they are rock sold and rarely have hardware issues.

aslan7

People who likes melco will have praises for it just like how you are praising apple. For myself, i am not a fan of apple and i dont see any good in it. There is nothing my pc cant do compared to apple.
Well, there are people who claim a Timex is superior to a Rolex for exactly the same reason.

aslan7

No, no, no, no, noooo! Stop! Not another wristwatch thread! o_O;)
Ok, I am going to stop buying my suits at Brioni and switch to JC Penny. After all, they both perform the same function. Seriously, I think we are confusing luxury products with snake oil products—there is a difference between the two.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm not disapproving the need for good looking well built products. I have that myself (even though I'm a die hard PC user).

I have merely observed that any mentionings of wristwatches on ASR is a sure-fire shortcut to a mile long off topic discussion ;)

escksu

Being a tinkerer, I enjoy being able to customize and tweak things the way PCs allow. Unfortunately, that can also lead to 'reliability' issues with them.
Haha, i do that too!! I used to be really into extreme cooling, overclocking etc.... Haha..those were the days

escksu

I think that is my main point - what is the advantage (that you can prove, of course, not intangibles, personal subjective preference ) ? Maybe not extremely snake oil in concept - to me the label applies on PRICE - 5000 pounds sterling - that is almost $7000 dollars - it boggles MY mind, when I can recreate the functionality for around $800, top of my head, again indistinguishable on sound... Like I said, it makes the Roon Nucleus ( a bit overpriced, in my mind) look like a bargain and the smart choice!

v
I dont have the product but i can say the main thing would be ease of use and plug and play!

Not everyone is IT savvy and may not feel comfortable with ripping CDs and playing music using their PCs etc..

Yes, i agree its extremely expensive for a product that is used to store music (pretty much like a NAS). But, there are pple who are willing to pay this price.

escksu

I'm not disapproving the need for good looking well built products. I have that myself (even though I'm a die hard PC user).

I have merely observed that any mentionings of wristwatches on ASR is a sure-fire shortcut to a mile long off topic discussion ;)

For the case of melco, i wouldnt call it snake oil. It does work as advertised.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Agreed. It does what it says on the tin. As far I can tell, it's only the reviewers who attributes all kinds of fantastical BS to it.

Still way overpriced if you ask me, but that's besides the point of this thread.

escksu

There is no question that a quartz Timex is more accurate than a mechanical Rolex.

True. However, there are places where the Timex will fail but the Rolex is still working, esp. extreme condition.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I dunno, I'd feel safer with a Timex Depth Gauge in almost all situations:
And if we need to go deeper in the water than 200m, I'd take a solar quartz Citizen Promaster over any Rolex:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I dunno, I'd feel safer with a Timex Depth Gauge in almost all situations:
And if we need to go deeper in the water than 200m, I'd take a solar quartz Citizen Promaster over any Rolex:
Why does a watch waterproof to 1000m come in a waterproof box? :D

1634926646318.png

Top Bottom