• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tracks with silence

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know of any recorded tracks that are actual silence (as opposed to recorded "silence" like John Cage 4.33 which has actual background noise)?

Noticed a scuffling noise on my portable IEM set up between tracks which I think is "noise" between the phone and the dongle which I think stops when the next track kicks in but I would like to check its not just being masked by the music. If I pause mid track I dont hear the scuffling noise, only when there is gaps between tracks stopping and new one starting.

Theory is , if I have a track of silence playing, turn the dongle up fully and hear nothing, all is good.

Ideally on Tidal but a link to a file or webpage would be great

Thanks

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Anyone know of any recorded tracks that are actual silence (as opposed to recorded "silence" like John Cage 4.33 which has actual background noise)?

Noticed a scuffling noise on my portable IEM set up between tracks which I think is "noise" between the phone and the dongle which I think stops when the next track kicks in but I would like to check its not just being masked by the music. If I pause mid track I dont hear the scuffling noise, only when there is gaps between tracks stopping and new one starting.

Theory is , if I have a track of silence playing, turn the dongle up fully and hear nothing, all is good.

Ideally on Tidal but a link to a file or webpage would be great

Thanks
I looked for this some time ago when I was testing all aspects of my speakers. It's not an easy task. The lists of usual testing tunes name Faltermeyer's Beverly Hills Cop theme, but I found that to be too short to have any use of it. I'll dig around those folders of mine where I saved test tunes and get back to you.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Korn follow the leader has 12 tracks of silance at the start of the album (on cd). On of the strangest starts to an album ever.
20211001_101330.jpg

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Some short silences here (and a song I genuinely like, not just for testing):

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Ah!! Good going @Vini darko that reminded me. Second Coming by Stone Roses CD has something like 77 tracks with no sound (and it's a CD it should be quiet if nothing has been recorded) before they come back with a 90th track. I guess it was a way to hide it, to reward the persisting ones... I don't know. Anyway, after the 12th track you have 77 silent ones and then the number 90 is "The Foz".

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Also leftfield leftism has about a minute of silance on track 11 at about 4:40 then a bonus bit of bass.
20211001_102203.jpg

killdozzer

Major Contributor
From wiki: Kid A includes a hidden track in the final track, "Motion Picture Soundtrack." The track has no official title, but is commonly referred to as "Untitled" or "Genchildren". The hidden track starts at about 4:17 and ends at 5:09, with the remaining 1:50 being silent.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Ah!! Good going @Vini darko that reminded me. Second Coming by Stone Roses CD has something like 77 tracks with no sound (and it's a CD it should be quiet if nothing has been recorded) before they come back with a 90th track. I guess it was a way to hide it, to reward the persisting ones... I don't know. Anyway, after the 12th track you have 77 silent ones and then the number 90 is "The Foz".
The shenanigans with cd albums were alot of fun back in the day

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 A lot of devices will digitally mute when sent digital zero/silence, so testing this could be tricky, you might need something that has almost silence.

( ) by Sigur Ros has about 30 seconds of silence at it's half way point (end of track 4), I've always assumed it was meant to simulate the break you get when flipping vinyl over. (edit, they have trimmed the version on Tidal to remove the silence, someone did a crap job it and they don't flow correctly, this streaming thing won't catch on)

Reactions: Tks

MRC01

Major Contributor
Using REW, you can easily generate silence tracks, at any sampling rate, also controlling whether they are dithered or just pure zeros. You can also generate tracks with test tones of any frequencie(s), attenuated to any level you want, even below the bit depth which you can still hear when dithered (for example, a 1 kHz sin at -112 dB dithered at 16-bit resolution).
I've found this useful in my own casual testing and measuring of various equipment.
PS: as for recorded tracks, here are some that I created with REW.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Many decades ago, I discovered that the Galactic Cowboys had 3 hidden tracks on their Space In Your Face CD, but you had to do a weird back/forward selection after the last non-hidden song was done playing. I stumbled on it accidentally when fumble fucking around trying select a track. The songs played forward, but the CD clock counted down on the hidden tracks.

It was pretty cool shit for a high 20-something to find.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The CD version of both Nirvana - Nevermind and Offspring - Smash has a "secret" track as part of the last one, divided by a lot of silence. I think it was a thing that lots of CD releases did back in those days.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If its on tidal with the extra tracks, hurrah!

Top Bottom