• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The decline and fall of Reflex.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I received an email today from B&H stating the Nikon D850 is discontinued.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw that on another forum - there is discussion about whether it is discontinued by ikon, or just by B&H.

If the former then it may signal that the long awaited Z666 is inbound.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Z 9 was spotted at the Olympics, as expected. It looked like an engineering sample, so expect to hear more soon.

I was disappointed it didn't have the extra programmable buttons we've been asking for. Hopefully that changes...

khrisr

I will miss the sound of an SLR reflex shutter … which reminds me that there will be niche camera brands for some time to come.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The shutter is still there
its the mirror that gives an SLR shutter its sound, though as one accustomed to the sound of a Pentax 67, withs its reflex mirror of about an acre in area, the mirror slap of the typical 9 frames/second APS-C shutter has a rather less profound sound.

Rick “preferred leaf-shutter TLR cameras for weddings” Denney

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The shutter sound on my Z 6II is really nice. And configurable! You have a silent electronic shutter, electronic front curtain shutter, and full mechanical shutter. All with different use cases which I have selected for my 3 user modes.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
B&H now says the D850 is not discontinued; the prior email was in error.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should sell my Nikon FM...

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still get a definite sense of "holy cr@p!" when viewing the 4's images
I get the same from the 7RM3 when I get the shot right.

Need to exercise some self-control when shopping for lenses
I like to go wow at the new lenses when they are reviewed and then remind myself I have no use for it. When I go out it's usually with either the 55/1,8 or the 70-300. The 85/1,8 is great for some situations but those arise less often.

I could see myself wanting to try the little 50/2 Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar
You want a manual focus lens for that camera?

Last edited:

thefsb

I once asked a really good professional photographer what the best camera was. He said: "The one that's there". I think this perfectly explains why so many great photos come from cell phone cameras.
That's right. My life changed when I got a phone with a 53 mm equiv and decent IQ in the right conditions. Until then I had only wide angle and poor IQ on the phone so I hardly bothered with it.

thefsb

I received an email today from B&H stating the Nikon D850 is discontinued.
Not sure they used the right word. Was it ever continued? Would continuous be the right word for that model's production or availability ever?

B&H now says the D850 is not discontinued; the prior email was in error.
It gets better with reading more posts.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the big selling points of range finder cameras was how quiet they were with no mirror.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's right. My life changed when I got a phone with a 53 mm equiv and decent IQ in the right conditions. Until then I had only wide angle and poor IQ on the phone so I hardly bothered with it.
I've had a Pixel phone for 3 years. I pulled out my Canon DSLR for some shots, and it does indeed offer better quality than the phone, but the phone isn't bad. I looked on the memory stick of my Canon, and I last used it a bit over 2 years ago or at least those were the newest images.

I recently replaced the Pixel with an S21. Picture quality is about as good, better in a few ways than the Pixel. Still short of the Canon. The video on the S21 is quite good and the interface to shoot video is pretty nice.

So I've had in mind getting a good mirror-less, but it certainly would be luxury at this point. I don't mind luxury items, but if I only use it every 2 years maybe it isn't a good use of money.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought one for my granddaughter. She loves it.

It is perfect for really learning photography. There are some fast 50 and 35 mm Ai-S lenses MF (still made today) that have xlnt. aberrations when used wide open. Those are possible future gifts for her, if she likes the arty rendering.

thefsb

I've had a Pixel phone for 3 years. I pulled out my Canon DSLR for some shots, and it does indeed offer better quality than the phone, but the phone isn't bad. I looked on the memory stick of my Canon, and I last used it a bit over 2 years ago or at least those were the newest images.

I recently replaced the Pixel with an S21. Picture quality is about as good, better in a few ways than the Pixel. Still short of the Canon. The video on the S21 is quite good and the interface to shoot video is pretty nice.

So I've had in mind getting a good mirror-less, but it certainly would be luxury at this point. I don't mind luxury items, but if I only use it every 2 years maybe it isn't a good use of money.
I think it 100% depends what pictures you want. The phone is good for every-day snapshots and videos in decent light. It's a kind of photography I very much enjoy so that's great. But there are many kinds of shots it can't do at all and I wouldn't even try.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It is perfect for really learning photography. There are some fast 50 and 35 mm Ai-S lenses MF (still made today) that have xlnt. aberrations when used wide open. Those are possible future gifts for her, if she likes the arty rendering.
She's in her final year at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston) and, indeed, there are more lenses in my closet for her.

Top Bottom