• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I think Geoff is a troll who does not believe in his own bullshit products.
He will not be gracing us with his presence again, ever. So let’s move past this please. ;)

David Harper

Well, for those are really rich, 28,000 for a cable is pretty much loose change. these items are catered for the extremely rich pple, just like designer bags thats cost over 100k, sports cars etc....
there's an important difference; high performance sports cars are actually (and objectively) worth the price paid for them in terms of value and performance. High end audio products, not so much.
Put another way; I very much envy someone who has the money for a new Porsche 911 or BMW M5. I view anyone who would spend 28K on a wire
to be a pathetic idiot.

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Love how the Mods do not f#%k about on this forum.
It’s actually not the Mods that handle people like this. It’s very much the Membership that does the heavy lifting. We just come in and clean up the room afterwards. :cool:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Does your icon depict an image of you cleaning up the room?
It actually depicts the highest SPL I have ever heard/felt/lived. Even with double hearing protection it was teeth mashing loud and physical.

Katji

Major Contributor
The SPL of explosions can be beyond what you could imagine. I had a bomb explosion in the room next to mine, I thought it might have been the gas cylinders at the laundry a block away. A sort of ROARING sound, all-encompassing.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SPL of explosions can be beyond what you could imagine. I had a bomb explosion in the room next to mine, I thought it might have been the gas cylinders at the laundry a block away. A sort of ROARING sound, all-encompassing.

That’s terrible, I hope that no one was harmed.

I live in the U.K, and lived about 4 miles from an oil storage depot at Buncefield when it exploded, reputedly the largest explosion in peace time Europe. The rumble was incredible, and it blew the hatches off of my attic entrance. Unbelievably no one died.

Katji

Major Contributor
The guy who unpacked the computer and switched it on was killed instantly. The other 2 in the office were not injured, just a bit splattered. The walls were splattered. I was about 3-4 metres away from it, but in the next room and a door right next to it, but the blast went down, mostly, quite a neat rectangular hole in the floor, and the outer wall - double brick, 1900 vintage, was cracked and pushed outwards. Semtex, roughly equivalent to 2 hand grenades, according to the police forensics.

Last edited:
OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The guy who unpacked the computer and switched it on was killed instantly. The other 2 in the office were not injured, just a bit splattered. The walls were splattered. I was about 3-4 metres away from it, but in the next room and a door right next to it, but the blast went down, mostly, quite a neat rectangular hole in the floor, and the outer wall - double brick, 1900 vintage. was cracked and pushed outwards. Semtex, roughly equivalent to 2 hand grenades, according to the police forensics.

You can get surprising results when something goes boom before you are done making it. Explosions follow certain paths etc. Pretty amazing science. When you see an anti-tank warhead go off in air (not by hitting a tank. It is really fun to watch. To me the explosion is like art. Semtex is very cheap and easy to come by all around the world. The USA controls our C-4 a bit better, but even it gets around.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a notch hearing loss from a tree next to me exploding from a lightning strike when I was a Boy Scoot

CrankyRat

Forum Donor
Geoffkait said:
Gee, I haven’t seen so many logical fallacies in one place since I left Kalamazoo.

Audio2design replied,
Have you read any of your own posts? You still claiming to be a physicist? Rocket scientist? It was hard to keep up.

>>>I don’t doubt that it was hard for you to keep up.

I doubt anyone actually buys the expensive stuff (28k!). It's there to add false credibility to suck in "stupid people", I know redundant (as in, if real people buy that well it must be great). This then allows said folks to just buy the cheaper stuff ($200 to $2000) and think they are both thrifty and wise.

Won't know unless you can see the books. Wishful thinking that you can't be that rich and stupid. Pretty stupid.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
there's an important difference; high performance sports cars are actually (and objectively) worth the price paid for them in terms of value and performance. High end audio products, not so much.
Put another way; I very much envy someone who has the money for a new Porsche 911 or BMW M5. I view anyone who would spend 28K on a wire
to be a pathetic idiot.

Well, its their money and they spend it anyway they want.. Its not for us to tell them how they should spend their money. Value is very subjective.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

audio2design

Major Contributor
Well, its their money and they spend it anyway they want.. Its not for us to tell them how they should spend their money. Value is very subjective.

No one cares how they spend their money. What they care is when someone lies and makes up stuff about why their $28K cable is audibly superior and then works hard to convince people with less means to waste their money on expensive jewellery under the claim it is factually not just psychologically (short term) better. Ever noticed tweakers are never happy with their systems really?

I believe even rich people have a right to accurate and honest info too.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
No one cares how they spend their money. What they care is when someone lies and makes up stuff about why their $28K cable is audibly superior and then works hard to convince people with less means to waste their money on expensive jewellery under the claim it is factually not just psychologically (short term) better. Ever noticed tweakers are never happy with their systems really?

I believe even rich people have a right to accurate and honest info too.

Let’s be honest, there’s something else we don’t like. And that’s the implicit criticism of the rest of us.

Unlike super cars, hi-fi is an area where most people can afford an excellent system.

You can pick up an audiophile’s wet dream system for £8k. Whilst most people won’t want to spend that much on hi-fi, you only have to look at how much many people spend on a car or tv which you’ll have to change in 2 or 3 years to see that it’s not beyond most people’s financial reach.

It’s one of the few areas in life where this is the case, and the snake oil salesmen want to taje it away.

Top Bottom