• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Genelec 8331a the best small speaker available? (was: Adam T5V)

I'm more constrained by space than cost. I see that the Adam T5V measures reasonably well and did well in Amir's subjective evaluation, though he had to bring down the highs. If we're not worried about price, is there another speaker of similar size that does even better?

For background, I want to replace my 1991 NHT SuperZeros, used at my desk for near-field listening only. I have a KEF KC62 subwoofer. I do not listen very loud.

OP
S
I see that the Elac DBR-62 is very high regarded, but in the cluttered space I have they would be hanging off the edge of a ledge, tweeters higher than ideal, and maybe closer together than ideal.

OP
S
Genelec 8030c, they have roughly the same height and width, but are considerably less deep.
I see that the 8030C would fit perfectly, is praised for its off-axis sound and (as I read the measurements) is flat almost down to 60Hz. I love it.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my NHT SuperZeros to blend with the KC62. Every time I think I have it right, I have to get up and tinker with it again. And the sweet spot is very small.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I haven't heard the other speakers, but I can vouch for the genelec 8030s, which sounds exceptional for the size. Personally I think they are very satisfactory even without a subwoofer. With a subwoofer is probably more effortless in the bass like my main system.

OP
S
Now you guys have done it. I've discovered there's a Genelec 8331. With the GLM SAM gizmo a pair could cost over $5K. But then I did have a birthday this year.

If I have a subwoofer and usually listen at/near my desk at moderate volume levels, will this be enough?

If people who use subwoofers generally cross them around 80 Hz, for these people is there a lot of point to bigger main loudspeakers with more bass extension?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Best is to go and listen which one is the best for you.

From my experience even the small 8030 work well from a desk. Judged from the distortion graphs in the reviews of standmount speakers there is no way around a big box for bass. So best bang for buck would most probably be standmount speakers and sub.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The best? No. The best under about $500? I'd say so, yeah.

As far as better at a similar-ish size (i.e. 5.25" midwoofer)...
- Neumann KH120
- Genelec 8030 (and yeah, the 8331)
- Focal Shape 50 (because you're crossing with a sub, I would not worry about the lack of bass response)

OP
S
I am leaning toward the 8331a.

These will be going on to a shelf behind and above my computer monitors. (No desk space is available.) Unfortunately the bottom of the shelf is a few inches above ear height when sitting, which raises the tweeter height to about 1 foot (30cm) above ideal. Is this a problem?

I see that there's a wall mounting bracket available (https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8000-402b/w-wall-mounting-bracket), so I might be able to rig something up to the edge of the shelf.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I am leaning toward the 8331a.

These will be going on to a shelf behind and above my computer monitors. (No desk space is available.) Unfortunately the bottom of the shelf is a few inches above ear height when sitting, which raises the tweeter height to about 1 foot (30cm) above ideal. Is this a problem?

I see that there's a wall mounting bracket available (https://www.genelec.com/accessories/8000-402b/w-wall-mounting-bracket), so I might be able to rig something up to the edge of the shelf.
You could set the speakers tweeter down. That's certainly an option. Otherwise I'd encourage the 8331s yes.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If people who use subwoofers generally cross them around 80 Hz, for these people is there a lot of point to bigger main loudspeakers with more bass extension?
Bigger speakers aren't only about bass extension. You can't get high SPL in farfield with 8030s. Certainly better paired with a KC62, but their internal amp and 5" drivers will bottleneck at some point.

For nearfield or reasonable levels, 8030 + KC62 will sure do the trick.

OP
S
Bigger speakers aren't only about bass extension. You can't get high SPL in farfield with 8030s. Certainly better paired with a KC62, but their internal amp and 5" drivers will bottleneck at some point.

For nearfield or reasonable levels, 8030 + KC62 will sure do the trick.

I appreciate your patience with me as I learn. Regarding "reasonable levels," I suspect these tests of Amir's are way louder than I would ever use a speaker unless I was jamming with a live drummer or something.

I could not get my existing system above 75 db from 1 meter without worrying that my family and neighboring apartments would complain. (This is using my Apple Watch -- I don't know if that's A weighted or C weighted.) If my usual use is well below 80db, and I already own the subwoofer, is there any upside to a bigger speaker than an 8030, 8331a, etc.?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I suspect these tests of Amir's are way louder than I would ever use a speaker unless I was jamming with a live drummer or something.
I also wonder how loud Amir listens. I had my KH310s up at 96dB yesterday and it was shaking stuff on my walls.

jonfitch

Maybe size wise, but I am dubious about its ability to sound best nearfield. Imaging is a little weird with a disconnect between the mids and the highs, causing vocals and percussions to sound like they are in a different plane of space than the higher frequency sounds. I think this is due to reflections or noise from the front vented bass slots. A lot of people have noticed this with The Ones in general and this can make them sound a little "overwhelming" nearfield as vocals and percussion sounds too close to the listener.

However if you want to stick with The Ones, the 8341 doesn't have as much of a bump in the power response in the lower mids compared to the other models in the lineup, which I believe allows it to do a much better job nearfield in my experience A/Bing the 8331 and 8341. It's also taller and you wouldn't need that hideous stand lol.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Political prisoners are actually shackled to the walls of his house until their spirit breaks from the shockwaves.
LOL

Top Bottom