• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

Kempeu

Any one enable “high sound” function? Any different? Also, which sound color the best?
Thanks

fluxcapacitor

I was thinking of getting this unit but after i saw it, i don't feel comfortable now :)
1.JPG
2.JPG

fluxcapacitor

really? because of ONE faulty unit ?
no, not because of one faulty unit,,,it's because of smsl reply, even they didnt receive defective unit and checking what's wrong with it, they blame the user just not to pay return shipping.

fluxcapacitor

I bought this DAC and have not been impressed but maybe I’m doing something wrong. I am using my iPad Pro and the Tidal app to send Master and HIFI tracks to the SMSL using a USB-C to USB Hub and then plugging in the USB cable that came with the SMSL to connect to my USB Hub and the SMSL. Then I am using RCA cables from the SMSL to my new Denon x3700 Receiver. For some reason using the HEOS app directly streaming to the Denon sounds better than trying to go hardwired through the SMSL. I thought the SMSL would sound better... Is it the way I have it hooked up or settings on the SMSL??

Here’s how I have it all connected

Tidal app on iPad Pro -> USB Hub -> SMSL -> Denon x3700
what're your last opinions comparing to internal dac of denon avr? i'm also thinking of getting a Marantz PM7000N with internal AKM4490 Dac and as far as i see, Marantz dac section has quite great components like Elna silmic II capacitors, high grade resistors etc,,,comparing to smsl 300 internals.

Magnifico

I don´t even understand the Alibaba translate. It´s weird. It´s just a very bad translation.
May it be....so don´t buy the unit but don´t try to start a shitstorm over that questionable case.

Because if you want to....you could read that the unit was damaged by user.
Burnt out components....fast charge.....it all fits together and the horrible translations is just weird.

fluxcapacitor

I don´t even understand the Alibaba translate. It´s weird. It´s just a very bad translation.
May it be....so don´t buy the unit but don´t try to start a shitstorm over that questionable case.

Because if you want to....you could read that the unit was damaged by user.
Burnt out components....fast charge.....it all fits together and the horrible translations is just weird.
if you dont want to understand it's your problem but translation and intention of smsl is crystal clear in this case. SMSL also claim they check all units which was proven to be wrong by some other claims with different smsl products.Some folks here received doa units.Surprising thing is smsl clearly claim the user without even inspecting the defective unit.

Foxenfurter

I ordered one of these and it came today. I was holding off in case anything better came along, and the day after I ordered it out comes Amir's review of the Topping D30 pro.
I prefer the idea of a real volume knob and I already find the display annoying. I tried measuring using Rightmark on my MOTU2 I am only getting an SNR and Dynamic range of 96 dB vs my old Nuforce uDac 3 getting 107 db Dynamic range and 105 dB SNR although distortion measurements are much better. Subjectively listening it sounds too bassy, but measures flat. The fact that my April Music Eximus DP1 measures the same makes me think that the Motu may be the limiting factor here. I was planning to replace the Eximus with this...

So questions do you think my measurements are limited by the Motu?
Can the display be dimmed or turned off?

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "fluxcapacitor, príspevok: 640291, člen: 24041"] aké sú vaše posledné názory v porovnaní s interným DAC v Denone AVR? Tiež uvažujem o získaní Marantz PM7000N s interným AKM4490 Dac a pokiaľ vidím, sekcia Marantz dac má celkom skvelé komponenty ako kondenzátory Elna silmic II, vysoko kvalitné rezistory atď., v porovnaní s vnútornými stránkami smsl 300. [/ QUOTE ]

Som majiteľom SMSL 300 a som veľmi spokojný. Mal som možnosť porovnať DAC v Marantzi .. Marantz je zlý vtip .. nuda, všetko, čo milujem, hudbu rôznych žánrov, zrazu zmizlo. A prečo ? jednoducho interný DAC je kompromis.

Foxenfurter

Just wanted to follow up my earlier buyers remorse post. I have had the SMLS M300 running for a while now. I don't like the micro USB cable - but that is purely aesthetics, and it is a tiny quibble. I would still the screen to blank after a minute or so, but it really doesn't bother me now.
I like having the remote, I must be lazier than I thought.

Sound quality-wise I can't fault it. It replaces my Audionote Dac 3 Signature - which was the first DAC that I had that had a sound-stage that could match vinyl. I sold the AN to free up some cash and space the AN Boxes are huge.

By the way I have done extensive level matched blind testing on these Dacs and other cheapo dacs that I own (I probably don't pass the methodology threshold for ASR ) and even the poorly measuring ones like the pi HATS have tiny differences that you only notice when listening carefully to music you know really well.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered one of these and it came today. I was holding off in case anything better came along, and the day after I ordered it out comes Amir's review of the Topping D30 pro.
I prefer the idea of a real volume knob and I already find the display annoying. I tried measuring using Rightmark on my MOTU2 I am only getting an SNR and Dynamic range of 96 dB vs my old Nuforce uDac 3 getting 107 db Dynamic range and 105 dB SNR although distortion measurements are much better. Subjectively listening it sounds too bassy, but measures flat. The fact that my April Music Eximus DP1 measures the same makes me think that the Motu may be the limiting factor here. I was planning to replace the Eximus with this...

So questions do you think my measurements are limited by the Motu?
Can the display be dimmed or turned off?
You can change the color of the text. I find the blue quite calming.

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "Foxenfurter, príspevok: 740782, člen: 13892"] Len som chcel nadviazať na môj predchádzajúci príspevok k ľútosti kupujúcich. Už nejaký čas mám SMLS M300 spustený. Nepáči sa mi kábel micro USB - ale to je čisto estetická stránka a je to maličkosť. Stále by som obrazovku asi po minúte vypol, ale teraz mi to naozaj neprekáža.
Mám rád diaľkové ovládanie, musím byť lenivejší, ako som si myslel.

Kvalitu zvuku nemôžem vytknúť. Nahrádza môj Audionote Dac 3 Signature - čo bol prvý DAC, ktorý som mal a ktorý mal zvukovú scénu zodpovedajúcu vinylu. Predal som AN, aby som uvoľnil nejaké peniaze a priestor, ktorý majú AN Boxy, je obrovský.

Mimochodom, urobil som rozsiahle slepé testovanie na úrovni týchto DAC a iných lacných DACov, ktoré vlastním (pravdepodobne neprekračujem metodickú hranicu pre ASR) a dokonca aj tie zle merajúce, ako je pi HATS, majú malé rozdiely, ktoré máte iba vy všimnite si, že pri pozornom počúvaní hudby viete skutočne dobre. [/ QUOTE]

aj MicroUsb ma štve, ale vyriešil som to redukciou od Audioquestu, pretože mám veľmi dobré usb WireWorld .. osobne mám rád DAC s AKM čipom ako ESS

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
[QUOTE = "fluxcapacitor, príspevok: 640291, člen: 24041"] aké sú vaše posledné názory v porovnaní s interným DAC v Denone AVR? Tiež uvažujem o získaní Marantz PM7000N s interným AKM4490 Dac a pokiaľ vidím, sekcia Marantz dac má celkom skvelé komponenty ako kondenzátory Elna silmic II, vysoko kvalitné rezistory atď., v porovnaní s vnútornými stránkami smsl 300. [/ QUOTE ]

Som majiteľom SMSL 300 a som veľmi spokojný. Mal som možnosť porovnať DAC v Marantzi .. Marantz je zlý vtip .. nuda, všetko, čo milujem, hudbu rôznych žánrov, zrazu zmizlo. A prečo ? jednoducho interný DAC je kompromis.
???

fluxcapacitor

I bought Marantz PM7000N, it's internal dac sounds so wonderfull that i preferred it over PM8006+ND8006 sound. SMSL SA300's dac is a bad joke.

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "zajogungster, príspevok: 756745, člen: 16544"] [/ QUOTE]

áno, viem, poznám stroje SMSL, ale malo by sa pamätať na to, že toto vlákno je o DAC SMSL M300 MKII a ak máme niečo na porovnanie, tak s ním, nie s niečím úplne iným, potom zjavne existujú nedorozumenia. A zo skúsenosti viem, že kombinované produkty ako prijímač, zosilňovač s integrovaným DAC sú jednoducho kompromismi na všetkých stranách. :)

Spilly44

Has anybody got a picture of the bottom pcb of the M300 MKll?
I accidently plugged the 24v power supply for the SA300 into the M300.I now have a DIR error on the display and one burnt transistor
trying to find out what transistor it is but SMSL haven't replied to my query.Burnt one arrowed
Ta for any help.Appreciated.John

Attachments

• M300.jpg
    M300.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 244
Top Bottom