• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming with the Sanskrit 10th AK4493 Edition, there is also an upcoming SMSL M300 MkII. It seems that there was a measurement requirement for M300 before the forum?
1602701066430.png
Hi WolfX-700, I've ordered a couple of these to use with a hypex amp with 1.66V input sensitivity. I'll be controlling the volume upstream with a miniDSP nanoDigi, The XLR output is roughly 8dB higher than I need to to fully drive the amp and I may want to further limit the maximum signal to 10dB or 20dB below the amp clipping point on some conditions? My question is which of the following methods would get the best performance out of this DAC and the overall system?

1) a 10 dB XLR pad between the DAC and the amp
2) Using preamp mode of the M300 mk II and setting the gain to be -10dB (do you know the gain setting for this)
3) limiting the input SPDIF signal from the miniDSP to -10dBFS

Thanks
Wayne

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi WolfX-700, I've ordered a couple of these to use with a hypex amp with 1.66V input sensitivity. I'll be controlling the volume upstream with a miniDSP nanoDigi, The XLR output is roughly 8dB higher than I need to to fully drive the amp and I may want to further limit the maximum signal to 10dB or 20dB below the amp clipping point on some conditions? My question is which of the following methods would get the best performance out of this DAC and the overall system?

1) a 10 dB XLR pad between the DAC and the amp
2) Using preamp mode of the M300 mk II and setting the gain to be -10dB (do you know the gain setting for this)
3) limiting the input SPDIF signal from the miniDSP to -10dBFS

Thanks
Wayne
option 1

killervidra

Hi, All,

I have a short question to the owners of MKII: Do you know, is it possible to get output on XLR and RCA in parallel ? I mean both of the outputs can be used in the same time ? I would use the XLR to feed active Studio monitors and the RCA for subs.
Many thanks for your help.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, All,

I have a short question to the owners of MKII: Do you know, is it possible to get output on XLR and RCA in parallel ? I mean both of the outputs can be used in the same time ? I would use the XLR to feed active Studio monitors and the RCA for subs.
Many thanks for your help.
Yes. Do your monitors have a selectable high pass filter?

killervidra

Yes. Do your monitors have a selectable high pass filter?
Great news, thanks.
To answer for your question: Yes and no. I have a HF and LF trim opportunity on the backplate, currently I'm using on -2dB on LF and let the subs do the job.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great news, thanks.
To answer for your question: Yes and no. I have a HF and LF trim opportunity on the backplate, currently I'm using on -2dB on LF and let the subs do the job.

In my opinion its difficult to get good sub integration without using a HPF on the main speakers. Does your sub have a crossover for the main speakers in it?

killervidra

In my opinion its difficult to get good sub integration without using a HPF on the main speakers. Does your sub have a crossover for the main speakers in it?
Yes, I know, it is difficult to manage it. Yes, the subs have crossover, tried to set them up based on my taste ( no measurement ) .

You know, I'm just thinking about two option. First: buy an MKII and use the active boxes plus the subs thanks to the parallel outputs of the MKII. Or Option2 : Go on "budget buy" with an Loxjie D30 and forget the active monitors and use the "old school" SS amp ( a Kenwood from the 70's ) with a pair of floorstand speakers ( no subs needed for those) ......

killervidra

Yes, I know, it is difficult to manage it. Yes, the subs have crossover, tried to set them up based on my taste ( no measurement ) .

You know, I'm just thinking about two option. First: buy an MKII and use the active boxes plus the subs thanks to the parallel outputs of the MKII. Or Option2 : Go on "budget buy" with an Loxjie D30 and forget the active monitors and use the "old school" SS amp ( a Kenwood from the 70's ) with a pair of floorstand speakers ( no subs needed for those) ......

The only issue is, for some type of music , SS amp sounds much better, and for the rest I enjoy the active speakers more.

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "killervidra, príspevok: 560311, člen: 9458"] Ahoj, všetci,

Mám krátku otázku pre majiteľov MKII: Viete, je možné získať výstup na XLR a RCA paralelne? Myslím tým, že oba výstupy je možné použiť súčasne? Použil by som XLR na napájanie aktívnych monitorov Studio a RCA na odbery.
Ďakujeme za vašu pomoc. [/ QUOTE]
ahoj, je to spoľahlivé na MKII! fungujú súčasne a na XLR mám zosilňovač pre reproduktory a na Cinch mám zosilňovač pre slúchadlá.

killervidra

Mám krátku otázku pre majiteľov MKII: Viete, je možné získať výstup na XLR a RCA paralelne? Myslím tým, že oba výstupy je možné použiť súčasne? Použil by som XLR na napájanie aktívnych monitorov Studio a RCA na odbery.
Ďakujeme za vašu pomoc. [/ QUOTE]
ahoj, je to spoľahlivé na MKII! fungujú súčasne a na XLR mám zosilňovač pre reproduktory a na Cinch mám zosilňovač pre slúchadlá.
thanks for the double confirmation.

Saxkun

I have a thx789 vía xlr and a pair of active speakers via rca and they both sound fantastic.

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "pdm555, príspevok: 569546, člen: 22149"] Otvoril niekto tento DAC? Chcel by som vedieť, aké zosilňovače sa používajú na analógových výstupoch. [/ QUOTE]

hello friends! Good question ... so I opened it and took a picture. they are: OPAMP Texas Instruments L4562 MA

Attachments

• opamp 4562MA.jpg
    opamp 4562MA.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 766

A.Cristea

Anyone else having issues with some of the bluetooth function here? My macbook pro doesn't recognize the DACs bluetooth, currently I'm only able to use this function from my smartphone. And secondly, when I'm connected to my phone via bluetooth and as soon as I'm like 3 to 5 meters away from the DAC, the connection starts to buz and goes crazy, it keeps on going on and off. Once i come closer to the DAC, everything seems to work smoothly again. Quite disappointing as other devices are able to reach 10 to 15m of distance.

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "A.Cristea, príspevok: 580747, člen: 16073"] Ktokoľvek iný, kto má tu problémy s niektorými funkciami Bluetooth? Môj macbook pro nerozpoznáva bluetooth DAC, momentálne môžem túto funkciu používať iba zo svojho smartphonu. A po druhé, keď som pripojený k telefónu pomocou bluetooth a akonáhle som od DAC vzdialený asi 3 až 5 metrov, spojenie začne bzučať a šialene, stále sa rozsvecuje a zhasína. Len čo sa priblížim k DAC, zdá sa, že všetko opäť funguje hladko. Celkom sklamanie, pretože ostatné zariadenia sú schopné dosiahnuť vzdialenosť 10 až 15 metrov. [/ QUOTE]

Ja osobne mám vynikajúce skúsenosti, nie som fanúšik BT, nemá to ani LDAC (podstatný rozdiel v kvalite) ale jedno zistenie. Potrebujem skontrolovať samotnú anténu, požičal som si 5dB! Zvuk bol čistejší a 25 metrov nie je problém.

ahmedmo1

Can both the RCA and balanced outputs be used at the same time? I want to use the balanced outputs for my speakers and the unbalanced to my subwoofers.

Spilly44

Had this dac 1day.So far impressed although somewhat short of my modded Pioneer BDP-LX91 but havent messed with any settings.
I like the display but am finding the remote very directional.
Does anyone know what amps the dac pulls.Think ill get a high performance power supply based on what effect one had on my phono stage
Thanks for any help
Smiffy

Top Bottom