• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FM, any listeners left?

Pavioni

Magnum Dynalab FT 101 tuner, B&K Pro 10 MC pre headphone output, HE 400i phones.
91.3 WLRN Miami Evening Jazz program. 14 LP's and 22 CD's source tonight.
Sonic bliss! Musical heaven!
I try and try but I can't find this honey in the ears from streaming.
Am I the last dinosaur???

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe..................

I've owned a FT101 in the past. Other notables are a couple of McIntosh tuners one tubed, one solid state. A Carver which I rate highly.

I still have a Denon unit, which I liked because it automatically makes all the basic adjustments exactly as I would if doing them manually in regards to mono blending, etc.

In my area, FM has become a wasteland almost.......almost. Late night symphonies, late night Jazz, and the weekend bluegrass. Good FM could be very good indeed. I still remember college stations without all the limiting, and other effects which by necessity left them with a clean FM signal and interesting music. Even those are rare now. Most of my FM is via streaming of FM stations over the internet.

I do remember driving late 60's muscle cars and listening to FM radio. Or when my Father had an early Corvette with FM where there were only 4 stations and two of them weren't really licensed by the FCC. Context counts for plenty.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I do remember driving late 60's muscle cars and listening to FM radio. Or when my Father had an early Corvette with FM where there were only 4 stations and two of them weren't really licensed by the FCC. Context counts for plenty.

Love it, especially the part about stations which weren't really licensed!
:D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Magnum Dynalab FT 101 tuner, B&K Pro 10 MC pre headphone output, HE 400i phones.
91.3 WLRN Miami Evening Jazz program. 14 LP's and 22 CD's source tonight.
Sonic bliss! Musical heaven!
I try and try but I can't find this honey in the ears from streaming.
Am I the last dinosaur???

Yeah, you're a dying breed...

Regardless of the sonic merits of great FM, good content is hard to come by.

Jazz24.org / KNKX in my area has great programming, but the internet stream quality is pretty lame. However, the additional effort required to do FM right (get a great antenna, roof mount it, ground it, connect that to a great tuner, run the analog inputs to my Devialet, from which I won't be able to control the tuner, etc etc) just make it not worth it when compared to listening to my own analog collection via LP.

Net result: I listen to analog FM in my car.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I should say in my car I listen to a lot of FM radio. I like the "unknown" factor of that over streaming at times. And of course for real-time news.

Regarding the unknown factor / music discovery, I've actually had pretty decent results with some of Tidal's playlists.

The problem is that once you've heard the playlist...you've heard it.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
In Britain, FM listeners were some of the first people in the world to listen to digital audio - but they didn't realise it.
http://www.bbceng.info/Technical Reviews/pcm-nicam/digits-fm.html
10 bits, 32kHz sample rate, and a lossy encoding system sounds wonderful to audiophile ears - as long as they know nothing about it and assume it's analogue.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy BBC Radio 3 live broadcasts still. There is a digital service but they keep changing the specs and the way to access it so I lost patience and went back to FM, which works every time I switch it on :)
I didn't do any sound quality comparisons between FM and whatever stream I was getting though.
My opinion is that the quality of the recording trumps all distribution mediums quality wise.

bobhol

My local NPR station has a number of time slots dedicated to local DJ's. I catch their shows whenever possible. 2 hours of Jazz on Tuesday night. 3 hours of Jazz on Friday night. 2 hours of Rock (new and old) on Sunday night. I could stream these shows over the internet but I really enjoy using a tuner and the external FM antenna. Another local NPR station is dedicated to classical which I also enjoy.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have four stations here I consider worthwhile.

WMNF HD1 - locally programmed "community" public radio
WUSF HD1 - locally programmed All Night Jazz, all day NPR talk
WSMR (on WUSF HD2) - 24 hour Classical, some canned, some locally programmed
WXTB HD2 (which is an WFLA 970 AM right-wing wacko retransmission - Limbaugh/Schnitt/Hannity/Levine/financial etc.)

HDRadio wiki

My main tuner is a Auvio - was sold by Radio Shack, bought new for $50 from some liquidator on eBay, probably a clone of the Sangaen HDT-1x, and I'm using the digital outputs.

I also have two Sony HD tuners, bought for $80 each, which have a bit of a cult following, but don't have digital outs. One didn't work when received (new), it blew a little fuse on the board, figured that out and fixed it.

Then there's the RadioShack Patrolman 6 AM/FM/Shortwave, and the Pioneer SX780 Receiver.

My car ('95 Maxima SE) has a really crappy and barely still working at all Bose system (not my choice but that's what came with the rest of the car which I still like a lot).

The little woman's '98 Civic has its stock radio, but the volume knob has quit working, so she got some $9 Chinese portable thing to have noise.

---

I've been tempted to get a real Tuner, but haven't. Analog won't pick up some of what I generally listen to, Digital probably wouldn't be any better than what I already have now, since I don't need DX capability (the transmitter farms are about 3 miles away, can see a couple of them if I look between some houses to the east).

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Most of my music listening by far is via FM. I have loved FM radio since the '50s. Fortunately, there is one excellent station here in Philly that I can just leave on most of the time, WRTI, the Temple University station, half classical, half jazz, with excellent programming. They have a very loyal following in this area with very successful fundraising and underwriting as a public, non commercial station. And, they have avoided the boring all talk/news format that so many other NPR stations have, unfortunately, adopted in place of music. Back in the '50s, there were 6-8 primarily classical music stations on our local FM dial. Now, there is only one, but a very strong one.

I venture down to the listening room for serious listening mainly just for a few hours in the evenings, and I prefer listening to selections there from my predominately hirez Mch library. But, most of every day, WRTI is on in the living/dining area, where I tend to be, more as background, but I do get engrossed in it sometimes, as I do in the car. So, FM predominates my listening time, but not really for serious listening.

Formerly, I used a Bose tabletop radio for decades. I just sold that at a neighborhood flea market for $50. Not bad for something about 30 years old and gathering dust. The buyer said it works great. For the past 5 years, an $80 Sangean clock radio has been my primary FM source. It is way better than the Bose was, and it is quite an amazingly satisfying bargain for my needs. A second one in the bedroom also makes a good alarm clock radio.

I tried a digital HDFM radio for awhile. I liked the sound, but not the device itself, and reception was poor. So, analog FM is what I am still happy using.

I, too, once had a Magnum Dynalab Etude tuner in my main system. But, it got little use there vs. my own music collection, and I sold it for decent money.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Advertising is killing analog radio.
Just yesterday for example I turned on my analog radio with antenna (an older Marantz), and after roughly an hour I just had enough of the irritating advertising voice. That was from a local Jazz station.

Analog r.a.d.i.o. is hard to come by in 2018. Times have changed, everything is for sell @ a price. And that price hurts the soul of the music.

In my experienced opinion from yesterday, not that very long ago @ all.
All the gold and oil of the globe one day will lost their lustre and vanish into oblivion like the dodo; only the true hard cores will still live the dream and mute the adds with the remote control. But then, the music stops playing.

We need to reinvent the analog radio, with greater wavelength and bandwidth, and without less constipation and distortion from the voice announcers, both males and females. If we want adds we have TVs and AVS.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy BBC Radio 3 live broadcasts still. There is a digital service but they keep changing the specs and the way to access it so I lost patience and went back to FM, which works every time I switch it on :)
I didn't do any sound quality comparisons between FM and whatever stream I was getting though.
My opinion is that the quality of the recording trumps all distribution mediums quality wise.
I too listen to Radio 3 a lot, but I stream it as it's just a lot more convenient than FM at home. In the car it's almost exclusively Radio 4 FM. Recently discovered Radio Paradise in Flac, great for listening if I can't make up my mind what to listen to.

Completely agree that content is more important than absolute quality. I listen to Radio Swiss Jazz which I love, even at 128k MP3.

S

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a soft spot for FM radio because of my involvement with a community radio station - KUOR 89.1 FM in Redlands, Ca. during the 80s. It's now an NPR station, but at that time was a university owned (University of Redlands) community supported station with only a paid GM and Ad Manager, - the rest of us were volunteers with a passion for whatever music we played - and it showed in the kind of support we had.

The musical styles were eclectic ranging from jazz, classical, gospel, blugrass, reggae, rap, heavy metal, polka and more. I mention polka bacause at fundraising time it always generated by far the most money. But the mainstay of the station's income was from small businesses in the black community in the San Bernardino/Riverside area. As show hosts we brought our own music in, played what we wanted ( including requests), got support from small concert venues as ticket giveaways etc. There was real cameraderie among us, frequent run ins with the university PR people - I think we weren't always putting out the image that the university would have liked. It was a great time and I'm sure there are very few if any stations like that anymore (or even then). I suspect some things we did were not quite legal, but at least we did have an FCC license! WKRP in Cincinnati had nothing on us! :D

KCRW in Santa Monica was my favourite station while I was living in the US and thanks to the internet I can still listen to it. Roger Steffens and Hank Holmes' Reggae Beat International and another programme called Land of A Thousand Dances (can't remember who hosted it) were exceptional.

cyrus799

I am using Ocean WR10, very satisfied with this radio. It connects to the internet using both Wi-Fi and Ethernet, giving me flexibility and portability. I can even tune in to the FM and DAB from the same radio.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
My local station keep fm is good. However my arcam tuner refuses to work in stereo any more. So it's languishing in the needs fixing pile in the spare room. BBC stations often have good stuff going on late at night too. But yeah its dying.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so much anymore because reception in my area is marginal, and save for Software-Defined Radio solutions, most tuners lack switchable bandwidths, stereo/mono switches (auto-blend was also nice), and I'm aware of none at all which can be locked onto analog or HD Radio simulcasts, rather than auto-switching between the two. Also, Colorado Public Radio has dreadful pledge drives starting at 6 AM, and they make no bones about wanting a lot more than Netflix-level chump change.

Top Bottom