• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pink Faun 2.16x music streamer - $20k PC ?

Katji

Major Contributor
I am sorry that the posted picture shows a pink front plate (which may be the standard offering) because it is a gross misrepresentation of the specific device I reviewed. If you read the review, it is revealed that my sample was actually in Lamborghini Orange. I hope that helps your appreciation.
Ok, well, I would pretend that it's KTM orange. I mean, given that it is all pretence anyway, no problem.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
If you don't need the extra connectivity (wired ethernet, USB3) or processing power (brutefir or other filters) you probably won't notice a difference. Works a treat with PiCorePlayer.

I'd want to start with PiCore and do it myself if I was going down that path and I'm not sure I have the patience to sort out the various things I need (I have a direct and eq path so I can tweak for my headphones, using alsa; lirc for the ir; seems I'd have to build mpd from source etc).

It would amuse me to see the likes of the Pi Foundation/Topping/Schiit etc challenge the shysters who try and foist their tasteless overpriced tat upon unsuspecting marks to perform a properly conducted blind test, and offer to pay for the expensive alternative if anyone correctly identifies it (assuming the expensive one actually measures as well as the sensibly priced product). It would make for great marketing.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'd want to start with PiCore and do it myself if I was going down that path and I'm not sure I have the patience to sort out the various things I need (I have a direct and eq path so I can tweak for my headphones, using alsa; lirc for the ir; seems I'd have to build mpd from source etc).
Getting to grips with customising things the TinyCoreLinux way is on my todo list, but has been for a while. I've other uses where the robustness of running from RAM would be good, so let me know if you have any pointers. Raspbian Raspberry Pi OS Lite is conventional enough that the usual methods work for adding brutefir, ladspa filters etc. I've covered using it as a USB audio device elsewhere - it's broadly similar for the zero and the Pi 4 as the USB-C socket isn't only for power.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Pink faun actually make some nice clock units, that could potentially make a dac sound better if fitted inside. But there's absolutely zero point in feeding a async usb dac from a server with a mega internal clock because the timing will be discarded in the dac anyway, and the quality of that local clock and buffer circuit is the limiting factor.

Pointless hifi nonsense.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
When my Pi 4 setup is finished (it works but i'm currently working on using an infra-red receiver to implement pause, rewind/forward and power-off via the unused buttons on my E30 remote control) I'm going to see if I lose anything with a Pi Zero W for £9.30.
Great idea. I suspect it will be fine.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or a $35 RPi? Is it not just a bridge to accept input from either a network or a computer drive and output digital audio via the usual S/PDIF, USB, etc.?

It runs Roon Core, which an RPi certainly can't do. With a large library, and heavy-duty DSP, Roon Core can be very processor-hungry.

Fanlessly cooling an 8-core AMD Ryzen is not a trivial task. But it certainly doesn't require $20k. Neither does delivering a turnkey Linux-based appliance. The relevant comparison device is a Nucleus+, which may be a bit overpriced, but not ridiculously so.

3125b

Major Contributor
Does anyone know which Ryzen APU they are using exactly?

Robin L

Master Contributor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The power supply and cooling are novel and interesting and the chassis is big and expensive. The PC is also much more powerful than an RPi. Also, this is Dutch made oligarch material.

I don't see the need for a DAC, as that would have broken up the 'separates' aspect of it, The transistors and capacitors are nice but I do wish they had use more and bigger transformers. ;) Really good power cords available from the same firm.

scrubb

Forum Donor
nonsense reviews like this one, and bogus advice are precisely why I don’t read Stereophile.

threni

Major Contributor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry that the posted picture shows a pink front plate (which may be the standard offering) because it is a gross misrepresentation of the specific device I reviewed. If you read the review, it is revealed that my sample was actually in Lamborghini Orange. I hope that helps your appreciation.
Kal, I believe generally folks here would accept your Benchmark amp and Revel Ultima2 Studio combo is going to be mighty fine.

Also I expect folks here would contend that the DACs you tested with measure well beyond the range of any human’s ability to differentiate them. So could you expand a bit for us on what you meant when you said "the Pink Faun is sufficiently transparent to permit me to hear differences among DACs"?

Also, did the streamer’s quality have anything to do with that ability?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Also I expect folks here would contend that the DACs you tested with measure well beyond the range of any human’s ability to differentiate them. So could you expand a bit for us on what you meant when you said "the Pink Faun is sufficiently transparent to permit me to hear differences among DACs"?
It was to assure those readers who might need to know that the presence of the PF in the system (or in the room) was not an audible limitation.
Also, did the streamer’s quality have anything to do with that ability?
Only by not doing anything to impede that ability. Please note that I really wasn't able to distinguish the DACs themselves except in so far as they used different reconstruction filters.

Top Bottom