• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

AndreM

Hi, this is my first post here. I have used this forum for a while now and I did good using the great information.
Participating is a bit intimidating, since my understanding in all that is electronics and even electrical field is limited.

Now I'm experiencing this issue that was mentioned before. The Topping is working perfectly with all the devices except an older Corall cd player. This is through the digital coaxial out. There is no optical on the player.
The Corall CD player works just fine when I connect it directly to my Marantz receiver, off course using the digital out, with any of the cables I have.

I also have a Cambridge DacMagic100 and it's doing the same thing to a lesser extent. It plays intermittently, with huge interruptions and popping sounds. (I heard those can cause damage to the speakers?)
Off course I've tried many cables, some of them rated at 75 Ohms.

During this trial of cables I have discovered something that I don't know what to make of. It started working good once and I thought it was the cable, but when the suboofers came on it started acting up.
I disconnected one subwoofer and it seemed to be working, but I didn't really listen carefully because I don't intend to use it that way.

I wonder why it's doing this and if there is any hope to get at least one of the DACs to "accept" this player.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, this is my first post here. I have used this forum for a while now and I did good using the great information.
Participating is a bit intimidating, since my understanding in all that is electronics and even electrical field is limited.

Now I'm experiencing this issue that was mentioned before. The Topping is working perfectly with all the devices except an older Corall cd player. This is through the digital coaxial out. There is no optical on the player.
The Corall CD player works just fine when I connect it directly to my Marantz receiver, off course using the digital out, with any of the cables I have.

I also have a Cambridge DacMagic100 and it's doing the same thing to a lesser extent. It plays intermittently, with huge interruptions and popping sounds. (I heard those can cause damage to the speakers?)
Off course I've tried many cables, some of them rated at 75 Ohms.

During this trial of cables I have discovered something that I don't know what to make of. It started working good once and I thought it was the cable, but when the suboofers came on it started acting up.
I disconnected one subwoofer and it seemed to be working, but I didn't really listen carefully because I don't intend to use it that way.

I wonder why it's doing this and if there is any hope to get at least one of the DACs to "accept" this player.
There are some problems with D50 & D50s.
1. Coax connection does not work depending on the connected device. Signals cannot be detected when connected to a Sony Blu-ray player.
2. PCM44.1kHz--352kHz music after playing PCM384kHz music generates a big pop noise and shocks the speaker.
DX7s has the same symptoms.
(TOPPING responds that we cannot deal with the problem of ESS chip.)

Of course, all these problems are reported to TOPPING.

I also purchased D10 DX3Pro SU-8, but there is no such trouble.

AndreM

There are some problems with D50 & D50s.
1. Coax connection does not work depending on the connected device. Signals cannot be detected when connected to a Sony Blu-ray player.
2. PCM44.1kHz--352kHz music after playing PCM384kHz music generates a big pop noise and shocks the speaker.
DX7s has the same symptoms.
(TOPPING responds that we cannot deal with the problem of ESS chip.)

Of course, all these problems are reported to TOPPING.

I also purchased D10 DX3Pro SU-8, but there is no such trouble.

I see, thanks or the reply.
At least you have found other DACs that work with your Blu-ray.
I may have picked the only two DACs that don't ...

Still, can't understand why it works if I keep my at least one of the suboofers off...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure why not. It's not expensive. Thank you for the suggestion! Wouldn't have thought of this in 100 years...
Are these reliable at keeping the signal clean?

It should just convert a digital electronic signal to one transmitted optically. Lots of folks on ASR use a similar approach to electrically isolate DACs to solve issues with noise associated with ground loops. So, assuming the unit you purchase is implemented properly, it shouldn't be a concern. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific unit because I don't use one myself.

AndreM

It should just convert a digital electronic signal to one transmitted optically. Lots of folks on ASR use a similar approach to electrically isolate DACs to solve issues with noise associated with ground loops. So, assuming the unit you purchase is implemented properly, it shouldn't be a concern. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific unit because I don't use one myself.

I'll give it a try, look like an inexpensive solution.

Cidious

They aren't identical. And it was discontinued because Texas Instruments brought the stuff from National, and started to make a CHEAP version of it that's now called 49720.

I have now extensively tested the LME49990 vs the LME49720 and I agree with way bigger sound stage with the LME49990 but that's because it adds a hollowness to the sound and recesses everything. For a moment I thought that the LME49990 would be good opamp as a daily driver but went back to the stock LME49720. Music is neutral but has body and detail.

Soundstage and imaging is fun but when it comes with such a heavy coloring as the LME49990 adds, I'd rather say no. it just sounds off. distant and thin. The circuit seems not well designed for it.

My humble opinion about what I perceive swapping between the both.

Veri

Master Contributor
For a moment I thought that the LME49990 would be good opamp as a daily driver but went back to the stock LME49720. Music is neutral but has body and detail.
;) stock is best, who'd have thought.

Cidious

Like I said. The previous amp barely revealed any differences. This amp is more revealing. have all these opamps laying around from previous projects. Was worth to roll them in and out and check for any effect.

Conclusion is indeed simple that Topping knows it's shit and selected the best opamp for the circuit they had in mind or the other way around.

Doesn't mean that opamps don't change audio signature.. they do... quite a bit also in that position with that circuit. But not for the better to my ears. Just leave the stock on in and enjoy would be my honest opinion and advice. Like I said earlier. Don't bother. But that's to my ears. Maybe someone else likes the changes.. with different gear or different ears.. whatever. We shouldn't judge others hearing Veri. lol.

lockheed

I have some questions related to daily use of this DAC. I intend to use it with automated power on/off plug so these are important to know.

1. If you cut power to it when it is ON and then restore power, does it goes back to being on, or just standby?
2. If it is in standby and a source powers on/plugged-in, does it wake up and select the source?
3. Does it remember selected input, volume and equaliser setting if you pull the power plug out and then plug it back again?
4. Can you shut the display off? If not, can it be dimmed that it does not produce glow in a dark room?

Cidious

I'd say yes to all of these questions but it does depend on what kind of source. My USB is able to trigger it to get out of standby after powering it on. But windows has some issues doing this somehow. Haven't looked into it really yet. But I've seen it happen.

I have some questions related to daily use of this DAC. I intend to use it with automated power on/off plug so these are important to know.

1. If you cut power to it when it is ON and then restore power, does it goes back to being on, or just standby?
2. If it is in standby and a source powers on/plugged-in, does it wake up and select the source?
3. Does it remember selected input, volume and equaliser setting if you pull the power plug out and then plug it back again?
4. Can you shut the display off? If not, can it be dimmed that it does not produce glow in a dark room?

AndreM

Perhaps it's worth investing in a cheap coax to optical convertor like this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZNR4...&pd_rd_r=ae362d1e-505f-4c76-8dd7-a9ae813c7d8e

It's worth quoting this post again.
I did work!!!
Optical out to the Topping d50, coax out to the MagicDac. Both working great.
I tried to use the coax from the converter to the Topping thinking the signal might be boosted in some way. Not working but it doesn't matter for me.
A nice touch, the converter works fine with the Topping transformer which can take two devices. I bought the transformer for about the same price as the linear transformer I saw recommended online...
Thanks a million for the advice!

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Not true really. The metal can of 49720 is better than the standard one (I was using it for months, until I changed to 49990).

This is probably due to lower EMI, than the original one. And yes, metal can do sound better (confirmed by engineers).

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 99

Veri

Master Contributor
This is probably due to lower EMI, than the original one. And yes, metal can do sound better (confirmed by engineers).
Could they be pricier too? Now why would the company claim the more expensive ones "do sound better"? ;)
Just saying.

Veri

Master Contributor
Can we see proof of that confirmation?
Only anecdotal statements on forums like DIYaudio and head-fi is all I've found. What's more troublesome is that these metal cans, readily soldered on op-amp DIPs are widely faked. Metal cans bought on eBay are unlikely to be genuine. So I would really not recommend using these things over the 49720NA, chasing the 'sound quality' dragon :(

drdunningAT

I sadly woke up to this error today on my less than a year old d50s, does anyone know a fix for it? or at least what causes/caused it?
Can't get past the error to the menus, isn't detected on USB.

contacted drop support, i'm assuming that will take a while :(

Attachments

• IMG20201126233059.jpg
    IMG20201126233059.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 336

Veri

Master Contributor
I sadly woke up to this error today on my less than a year old d50s, does anyone know a fix for it? or at least what causes/caused it?
Can't get past the error to the menus, isn't detected on USB.
Output stage no longer functioning, it is effectively bricked when it shows this :( sorry.

Top Bottom