• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New 2020 rolling stone ranking of the 500 greatest albums of all time

weasels

I read these list as simply a means to check out albums that I have never experienced. I think they are fun and enjoyable discussion pieces.

Alabama Shakes "Sound and Color" (maybe a conflict of interest since she was on the board of reviewers) certainly would have been a good start over some of the albums they grabbed to fill spots in the last decade.

Didn't stop Raekwon :D

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been going thru the list from the bottom and so far have not hit any Coldplay albums - so things could be worse

bt3

What Quincy Jones has said about the Beatles musicianship would certainly rub many baby boomers the wrong way. Quincy Jones can hardly be dismissed in his opinion there entirely. He has quite the music history himself. Perspective matters much.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been going thru the list from the bottom and so far have not hit any Coldplay albums - so things could be worse
324 - Coldplay, 'A Rush of Blood to the Head'

Hemi-Demon

What Quincy Jones has said about the Beatles musicianship would certainly rub many baby boomers the wrong way. Quincy Jones can hardly be dismissed in his opinion there entirely. He has quite the music history himself. Perspective matters much.

Some of that perspective has to due with the "source" of some of their music, and not giving credit to the originators of rock music. Doesn't stop how much people love their music and how important it was for a generation of fans.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then 1000 would be a more magical number IMO
When you see today's 15 to 20.000 libraries that some have ...

I agree that it's totally subjective.
I just wouldn't like some mythical albums be forgotten ... (the seventies in particular).
I wonder about those huge libraries. I knew someone with an 8000 Lp collection. Difficult to do something with after his death. Most of them he never listened to. It got me to thinking. If you average 10 songs per album and have 20,000 albums you need to listen to 50 songs per day every day of the year to ever hear each song once in 11 years. Admittedly we don't necessarily like every song on an album, but still it gives you perspective.

My own library is about 1000. I do listen to some streaming, but I just can't see the need for even 10,000 albums. You'll never hear them much. Even I have some I only rarely listen to, and yet I am glad to have the album when I do want to hear it. I get that aspect. I somehow think such large collections feed into a hoarder aspect many of us have.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I go there to check it out, and Brave warns me that RS is trying to install some sort of Google software--for DRM purposes. Why do I need DRM software to read about some album ratings? It's not that I don't trust Google, but I don't trust them at all.

Is it WideVine? That is some kind of google based rights management/monitoring software. I've never allowed it to install on my browsers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No Tim Buckley. But then, I didn't make the list either.

Yes, he wasn't that popular I suppose, and maybe not influential. But as I fan, seems criminal he isn't on this list.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Scaruffi is my man, the best list I have ever seen. https://www.scaruffi.com/music/best100.html

That is a good list. I own the top ten except for #1. He even warns newbies to get #2-#10 and skip #1.

There are a handful I've not heard, and this list will cause me to seek them out. Only about 4 I wouldn't include. So not bad overall. His taste in music apparently is close to my own.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
That is a good list. I own the top ten except for #1. He even warns newbies to get #2-#10 and skip #1.

There are a handful I've not heard, and this list will cause me to seek them out. Only about 4 I wouldn't include. So not bad overall. His taste in music apparently is close to my own.

Much respect, I've been tempted to post his assessment of the Beatles but I figure it would offend too many folks. Piero's lists all include a serious amount of outsiders and avant garde artists such as Albert Ayler, Stockhausen, Ligeti, etc.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder about those huge libraries. I knew someone with an 8000 Lp collection. Difficult to do something with after his death. Most of them he never listened to. It got me to thinking. If you average 10 songs per album and have 20,000 albums you need to listen to 50 songs per day every day of the year to ever hear each song once in 11 years. Admittedly we don't necessarily like every song on an album, but still it gives you perspective.

My own library is about 1000. I do listen to some streaming, but I just can't see the need for even 10,000 albums. You'll never hear them much. Even I have some I only rarely listen to, and yet I am glad to have the album when I do want to hear it. I get that aspect. I somehow think such large collections feed into a hoarder aspect many of us have.
Hello @Blumlein 88

Totally agree with you.
I have sub 1000cd's and do "see them" all (easy access) and DO listen .
I have not ripped those (yet) and have no streaming service (yet) .

To resume; I'm still 20 or so years behind :p

PS: I keep a few vinyls but didn't listen to any since what, 40 years ?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is the same one, at least it should be.

Or did you find any difference?

I just looked at the first and last ranking and couldn't see the same names....
Anyhow, it's great to have those in an easy Excel convertible list, thank you ;)

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just looked at the first and last ranking and couldn't see the same names....
Hm... looks same to me:
Code:
1,"Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'","Tamla/Motown, 1971"
500,"Arcade Fire, 'Funeral'","Merge, 2004"
Screenshot1s.png

Screenshot500s.png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, there's Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, Charles Mingus as well. There's more country, more Africa. You're skimming. There's plenty of the usual Rolling Stone collection of musical biases. What were you expecting, a tribute to Shonen Knife and Franco? Harry Partch? Sun Ra?
Graceland wasn't on there. Only There Goes Rhymin' Simon. Some of the choices were extremely questionable, to say the least. And the exclusions (like Fleetwood Mac, Last Waltz, Armed Forces, Fear of Music) were unconscionable. And how Astral Weeks came in at 46 (I think) is beyond me.

And yeah, no Folk Music.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Graceland wasn't on there. Only There Goes Rhymin' Simon. Some of the choices were extremely questionable, to say the least. And the exclusions (like Fleetwood Mac, Last Waltz, Armed Forces, Fear of Music) were unconscionable. And how Astral Weeks came in at 46 (I think) is beyond me.

And yeah, no Folk Music.
Remember, all the records you mention are older. And yeah, there's some dumb selections. This should not be taken as holy writ, more like throwing you-know what at the walls.

weasels

And yeah, no Folk Music.

Are there really no folk artists? I thought I saw Dylan, Cat Stevens, and a few others (like Gillian Welch).

That said I don't recall seeing some names I would have expected like Joan Baez, Guthrie or Seeger.

Top Bottom