• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New 2020 rolling stone ranking of the 500 greatest albums of all time

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember, all the records you mention are older. And yeah, there's some dumb selections. This should not be taken as holy writ, more like throwing you-know what at the walls.
It's like when you get those "all time" list of the greatest football or basketball players and it's dominated by buys who played in the '90s or later. That's called "recentcy error", and it correlates strongly with the age group the selectors fall into.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there really no folk artists? I thought I saw Dylan, Cat Stevens, and a few others (like Gillian Welch).

That said I don't recall seeing some names I would have expected like Joan Baez, Guthrie or Seeger.
Don't know if I'd call Cat Stevens a folk singer. Dylan, I guess, but not a pure one like PPM, Baez, Seeger, or The Weavers. Suppose you could stretch the definition to include Simon and Garfunkel and Bruce.

Robin L

Master Contributor
It's like when you get those "all time" list of the greatest football or basketball players and it's dominated by buys who played in the '90s or later. That's called "recentcy error", and it correlates strongly with the age group the selectors fall into.
It is also what is known as "growing old".

Robin L

Master Contributor
Don't know if I'd call Cat Stevens a folk singer. Dylan, I guess, but not a pure one like PPM, Baez, Seeger, or The Weavers. Suppose you could stretch the definition to include Simon and Garfunkel and Bruce.
Joan Baez has not been a "pure" folk singer for a long time.
Peter Paul and Mary were always a commercial response to the folk scare of the early sixties. But, again, this is "Rolling Stone", not "Sing Out".

Sherwood

This will probably not be germane to the audiophile audience here, but J Dilla's Donuts was criminally underrated. I frankly think hip hop in general was underrepresented, given modern listening trends, but Donuts spawned whole genres. To put it hundreds of places behind Lemonade is wild to me. This NPR piece from 2013 is truer today than it was then.

Top Bottom