• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the headphone stuff (headfi) becoming ridiculously expensive?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm going for the Drop 6XX myself, supposed to show up next week. I've got the first half of the Topping "30" stacklette, the amp, the DAC is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Have you heard them? They're not for everyone, so do your homework when researching for new headphones Not only measurements are important, also, how they translate to your hearing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
any decent planar. HE-400i. I mean we can debate SQ characteristics but I firmly believe once a certain level of quality is reached, the rest can be done with EQ.

Im not sure I agree with you on that but to each their own. I assume you have at least heard some of the $500-$1000 types?

Dont think I could ever make my EQd HE 4XX "feel" like an EQ'd HD800 but how much of that is physical, how much psychoacoustic and how much actual sonics I dont know . Of course you cant blind test even if you wanted to.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Dont think I could ever make my EQd HE 4XX "feel" like an EQ'd HD800 but how much of that is physical, how much psychoacoustic and how much actual sonics I dont know . Of course you cant blind test even if you wanted to.

Yep, my own feeling on the matter is that most of it comes down to the magic of psychoacoustics.

I've become a pretty cynical audiophile over the past few years. I'm of the opinion that a significant percentage (like 90%) of what generally falls under the heading "audiophilia" is utter and complete hogwash. So much of the stuff that gets obsessed over and analyzed to the Nth degree just falls apart and outright ceases to exist under blind test comparison situations. The things we think we prefer even disappear when challenged blindly. But like you say, with headphones blind testing is a real challenge to achieve so my position is mostly theoretical. But it's my position and I love it! lol...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Have you heard them? They're not for everyone, so do your homework when researching for new headphones Not only measurements are important, also, how they translate to your hearing.
I know, you wouldn't believe how many headphones I've gone through. Did a lot of homework on this choice, will report back when I get them.

Zensō

Major Contributor
When my Clear Professional is simply "upper mid-fi", you know that shit hit the fan...

I am maliciously trying to find any faults with my headphones, but after trying a bunch of headphones during these months, I can say these do not have raised a single objection from me. I'm trying my best to find something they're not good at, but I seriously can't. I even found faults on the Utopias (that "accented treble"), but with these is pretty hard next to impossible to me. I listen to some of the classical I like (ballads and the such), they are great, hip-hop, they are great, rock, the same story, jazz, they handle it like a breeze. Everyone has their taste, but I don't think you have to spend north to $4,000 for getting really good sound.

Those are very nice headphones. I tried the Clear side-by-side with the Elex and ended up going with the Elex simply because to my ears they sounded so similar it was hard to justify the price jump up to the Clear. YMMV of course (and it did). Either way, I’m quite enamored with the Focal sound. I just wish they were as all-day comfortable as my Sennheiser HD660S.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You'd at least need full impulse response convolution to make them sound at all similar given the differences in driver size and location relative to the pinna.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Those are very nice headphones. I tried the Clear side-by-side with the Elex and ended up going with the Elex simply because to my ears they sounded so similar it was hard to justify the price jump up to the Clear. YMMV of course (and it did). Either way, I’m quite enamored with the Focal sound. I just wish they were as all-day comfortable as my Sennheiser HD660S.
I only bought the Clear Pro because of the color. But yeah, the Elex are as good.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When my Clear Professional is simply "upper mid-fi", you know that shit hit the fan...

I am maliciously trying to find any faults with my headphones, but after trying a bunch of headphones during these months, I can say these do not have raised a single objection from me. I'm trying my best to find something they're not good at, but I seriously can't. I even found faults on the Utopias (that "accented treble"), but with these is pretty hard next to impossible to me. I listen to some of the classical I like (ballads and the such), they are great, hip-hop, they are great, rock, the same story, jazz, they handle it like a breeze. Everyone has their taste, but I don't think you have to spend north to $4,000 for getting really good sound.

I've been eyeing the the Focal Clear as a step up from my apparently now low-end stable of cans (Hi Fi Man HE400, Senn 6XX, AKG K271).

How do you find the long-term wearability of the Clears?

I can't wear the HE400 for more than about 1 hour before my ears get hot.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Those are very nice headphones. I tried the Clear side-by-side with the Elex and ended up going with the Elex simply because to my ears they sounded so similar it was hard to justify the price jump up to the Clear. .

Oh, only $700.

Thanks for the lead.

Unclevanya

Unless wireless, headphones make you fatter.

The more expensive the wired headphones, the fatter you will become because you will need to use them more to justify the cost.

I don't want to pay $5k for something that makes me sit on my ass more.
Just use a portable dac/amp and a portable source. Then your wired cans can go with you at least within reason.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just use a portable dac/amp and a portable source. Then your wired cans can go with you at least within reason.

I have speakers and subwoofers. I can hear them in my whole house. And they sound better.

I only wear headphones at home if it's late at night and I can't use speakers.

Plus, do I want to wear a corded headphone when doing something like cooking dinner with knives and flame?

Unclevanya

I'm looking for a good pair of closed back or in ear headphones. My wife can't stand bleeding noise from headphones and sometimes I want to listen to music in the same room while she's reading. Today I'm using a pair of one more triple driver in ear - but I'd prefer something easier to fit and more comfortable. Plus to be honest the sounds profile of the one more isn't really my favorite.

I don't want to spend a mint either...

Unclevanya

I have speakers and subwoofers. I can hear them in my whole house. And they sound better.

I only wear headphones at home if it's late at night and I can't use speakers.

Plus, do I want to wear a corded headphone when doing something like cooking dinner with knives and flame?
In fact that one of the good uses in my house. Cuts out distractions and let's me listen without forcing the whole house to hear my choices.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I've been eyeing the the Focal Clear as a step up from my apparently now low-end stable of cans (Hi Fi Man HE400, Senn 6XX, AKG K271).

How do you find the long-term wearability of the Clears?

I can't wear the HE400 for more than about 1 hour before my ears get hot.
They're not the lightest thing around, but they don't strain my neck at all. I can wear them all day, not like my LCD-2, which I couldn't wear without neck support.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although criticized for not being a $40,000 B&K head and torso simulator and though it spends most of it's time boxed up and sitting at the back of my closet, MiniDSP's EARs measurement device has been one of my better sonic values, I think. I buy headphones rarely enough that I guess I could afford to buy something more elite, but with my Fostex T50RP IIs with Shure ear pads (deeper, makes a better seal) + DSP, I get a very close match to the Harman target response. But the complexity of MiniDSP's software and that of Room EQ Wizard do limit their appeal.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In fact that one of the good uses in my house. Cuts out distractions and let's me listen without forcing the whole house to hear my choices.

I make the whole house listen to my choices, but it's only me, the wife, and pets, and the pets don't complain.

Plus, with a DAP, I can't listen to vinyl / reel to reel.

Top Bottom