• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yep, there are a variety of flyers. This is one with generic recommendations (by the way we are all at home so not much chances to make social contacts)

C_17_opuscoliPoster_443_3_alleg copy 2.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just went through a ~week long illness that could be defined within the corona virus symptoms. I stayed home until now feeling better and the dry cough subsided. I had the symptoms but no fever. Are people supposed to stay in after they feel better or is this thing over for me if it is corona virus? 2 weeks has been mentioned in the news for quarantined people coming from known corona virus environments. Should I stay home for another week?

carlob

Forum Donor
Here the advice is to stay at home 2 weeks. It seems that 85% of positive cases start with fever (more than 37,5C)

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I am annoyed. My background is in Clinical Laboratory Science and worked on AIDS in the 1980s.

It is amazing to me that a PCR viral detection test was created in such a short period of time and then brought in to production. The antibody assay the same... we might wish for faster, but all of the medical scientists around the world have worked around the clock; we should be grateful , not complaining about the speed. The media imperative is to make money on bad news, thereby creating panic and fake blame.

My rancor about the press, NYT and WaPost knows no bounds.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am annoyed. My background is in Clinical Laboratory Science and worked on AIDS in the 1980s.

It is amazing to me that a PCR viral detection test was created in such a short period of time and then brought in to production. The antibody assay the same... we might wish for faster, but all of the medical scientists around the world have worked around the clock; we should be grateful , not complaining about the speed. The media imperative is to make money on bad news, thereby creating panic and fake blame.

I agree. The medical work has been fast and efficient.
It is the "head in the sand and blame everybody else" approach of a lot of politicians which is crap, what a useless bunch.

Plus selfish arseholes who endanger others to avoid a bit of personal inconvenience.

mi-fu

Forum Donor

From your professional experience, do you think the limited availability of test kits in the US is something unavoidable?

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by our slow response to it, given the fact that the outbreak had started in China nearly 3 months ago. But I have to say that I know little about the production of test kits.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rest of the story does not instill much confidence about the medical system in NY either.
Capitalist for profit medical systems have a primary goal of maximizing profit - not treating patients. Indeed, in the USA, the more medical problems, the more profit - until the system overloads, crashes and burns.

For several reasons, I am glad I retired to Panama. We have a mix of public and private medical care systems here. I can go to a public hospital, and get good low-cost care if necessary. And now we have a new, bigger regional public hospital here in Western Panama's Chiriqui Province, and I think the old building is available for emergency use. (I spent six days in the regional public hospital a couple of years ago for a very mild heart attack. My total cost for those six days was $870 after a free (no paramedic needed) ambulance ride 40km down the mountain from Boquete to David.)

And speaking of Panama, the first corona virus death here was yesterday, and there were eight known cases of the disease. In the remote and cool little mountain valley town (Boquete) where I live, there are lots of (relatively speaking) tourists visiting and passing through from around the world. We also have a fair sized expat community - about 5,000. A majority are American, and many travel to the USA occasionally - although many of those trips will likely be postponed. Many of us older retired expats here are in the most vulnerable senior groups - including me at 78 y/o.

It looks like Panama's government is taking the pandemic seriously, listening to the experts, and following the appropriate guidelines. As of today, all public events are shut down until at least April 7. So I will not be showing my weekly movies at our little playhouse theater, and the Tuesday Morning Market will not resume until at least April 7 - and later if need be. Fortunately, here in the mountains, homes and small businesses are not tightly sealed and have no heating or A/C, (However, many corporate businesses - including banks and supermarkets - are weather sealed and use A/C, creating more favorable conditions for the virus to spread.

I have become very close friends with a hardworking younger Peruvian expat artist and his family (pic below) - in fact we are what some call a "chosen family" as opposed to a bloodline family. Their income is solely dependent on sales to tourists. I have a decent government pension (USA Social Security retirement program), and live a modest life. I will help support them financially through this crisis - no more audio, video and other technoloy toys for now. While many people will be selfish hoarders and fight over things, this is a great opportunity for all good people to support friends, family and neighbors. Those of us who do will get through this together.

Please support anyone in your community who will be hurt financially by the consequences of this pandemic.

2018-7-31 Huiza Family 1 .JPG

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The slope of the USA curve is frightening...

Corona Curve Slope.jpg

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
From your professional experience, do you think the limited availability of test kits in the US is something unavoidable?

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by our slow response to it, given the fact that the outbreak had started in China nearly 3 months ago. But I have to say that I know little about the production of test kits.

As noted above, the fact that the process went from an unknown entity to having the ability to ramp up any kind of production in the time it has happened is almost a miracle. Think of an heretofore unknown method for audio reproduction being discovered... say a speaker transducer; from establishing the theory, confirming that it works with 99% confidence, building an assembly process... well, you get he idea. Test kit production does not scale up either well or quickly.

My bitch about the press is they do not have an understanding of the process-all they present is unstudied. ignorant f*#king opinions.

Rant over... likely to be continued. Also, note my avatar.

Also, thanks again MATY for the VERY informative graph!! Following that will tell us what is being reported!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The above graph doesn't normalize for the population of each country, just reports number of cases.

Consider the vertical axis changed to "percentage of population".

That would drive the US curve down by a factor of, say, 8, compared to Spain, for example, where currently, they appear equal... (I think).

Multiply HongKong x 40 to compare to US...

mi-fu

Forum Donor

It is a very interesting graph. Both Hong Kong & Singapore are cities with very dense population. It is quite amazing that they manage to contain the virus quite well. I learn from my friends that most people there voluntarily wear masks daily in these past months. I wonder it would be the reason.

It also seems that there are contradictory opinions on wearing masks. Most experts here in the US advise against mask-wearing. But it seems that quite some doctors in Hong Kong repeatedly urge people (even they are healthy) to wear surgical masks when going out. Perhaps they understand something we don't.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The professionals have already said (as I remember) that we're all going to be exposed to it, eventually.

Buckle up!

It also seems that there are contradictory opinions on wearing masks. Most experts here in the US advise against mask-wearing. But it seems that quite some doctors in Hong Kong repeatedly urge people (even they are healthy) to wear surgical masks when going out. Perhaps they understand something we don't.

During my recent outings (4 in a month?), I was easily able to maintain a considerable distance between myself and the next unfortunate soul.

That distancing, having visited Hong Kong, would be much more difficult. The mask advice is probably more related to transmitting vs receiving virions.

carlob

Forum Donor

Here in Italy experts advise again mask-wearing too (for people without symptoms). Rationale is that masks are useless to protect wearers (you should use a mask and special glasses because the virus is spread also with eye contact) and at the most are good to protect others but if you are not infected there is no point. Also surgical masks should be changed every day.

Furthermore if all the population panics and start to buy masks it will be impossible or very difficult to find them for people that actually need them. How many are you in the US, 300 millions? Do you think there are mask for everybody?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
unnamed.jpg
unnamed1.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed3.jpg
unnamed4.jpg
unnamed5.jpg
unnamed6.jpg

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Here in Italy experts advise again mask-wearing too (for people without symptoms). Rationale is that masks are useless to protect wearers (you should use a mask and special glasses because the virus is spread also with eye contact) and at the most are good to protect others but if you are not infected there is no point. Also surgical masks should be changed every day.

Furthermore if all the population panics and start to buy masks it will be impossible or very difficult to find them for people that actually need them. How many are you in the US, 300 millions? Do you think there are mask for everybody?

I live in new york city. I do worry a bit when I commute.

Like @RayDunzl says, distance would be important too. But when you take the subway here, you are standing really close to the next person...

And the truth is, there is simply no surgical mask available. I just try to stay at home as much as I can.

carlob

Forum Donor
I live in new york city. I do worry a bit when I commute.

Like @RayDunzl says, distance would be important too. But when you take the subway here, you are standing really close to the next person...

I know, here is the same. Subway is (was) usually packed, not anymore. Hope you don't get to the point we are now, they are thinking to shutdown a substantial % of the public transportation, at least in the "red zones".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom