• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss sends LinusTechTips headphones and snakeoil

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I meant the Abyss. Not the Dave + Blu MkII.

I didn't find it as likeable as the Utopia using that setup.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
He's so visible though. People latch onto his opinions, even if that's all they are.
We'll he looked pretty sceptical of the silly cable nonsense and stack. And the way he responded to the looks of the most expensive model was like most people would. I do believe the headphones sound good though. Too bad he didn't mention what his comparison is. Its most likely the 600 series from Sennheiser. All in all I would say it isn't as bad. All he said is that these are the best headphones he ever heard, which I believe. It's not like people will run out and buy all that gear. And yes, we know that you can buy a better DAC for the price but all differences are still outside what you can hear.

LBDoan

abyss are shit sounding headphones.... and the snake oil was just next level. Remind that Linus has auditioned sennheiser he-1 which I like a lot and is much better than abyss.
Completely agree! Abyss headphones don't just sound bad for the price; they outright sound bad and are uncomfortable to wear. Here's my review of them: redd.it/c4v39v.

Personally, I haven't auditioned the Orpheus, yet, but based on my listening of the Abyss, I would bet serious amount of money that the Orpheus is better. I prefer my $20 HD 201 over the 1266 and the Diana Phi. I personally don't understand the hype of "[Abyss] is much better than [X-headphone]".

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At Canjam London I tried out one of the Dianas and the 1266. The big one is insanely uncomfortable and I couldn’t last 2 minutes listening to it just because of that. I don't remember how it sounded because all I wanted is to take it off. the Diana, however, is very light and reasonably comfortable, and it sounded excellent. It really doesn't need that much power, and of course none of those overpriced dacs and amps. If it wouldn't cost 3k$ and above, I would consider buying it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
We'll he looked pretty sceptical of the silly cable nonsense and stack. And the way he responded to the looks of the most expensive model was like most people would. I do believe the headphones sound good though. Too bad he didn't mention what his comparison is. Its most likely the 600 series from Sennheiser. All in all I would say it isn't as bad. All he said is that these are the best headphones he ever heard, which I believe. It's not like people will run out and buy all that gear. And yes, we know that you can buy a better DAC for the price but all differences are still outside what you can hear.
I was referring to his overall output, not just this video. This was the one I had in mind in my first post.

There are like 4-5 others. Not that they're terrible. Just a mix of informed and uninformed opinions which could easily mislead. There's more at stake with that much reach and influence. People go to him for advice and to get an overall perspective on unfamiliar technical areas.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I've listened to the Abyss 1266 phones at the recent Toronto Audio Fest. I spent a while with them because Steve Guttenberg said they were the best headphones he'd ever heard at one point. Overall, they're just ok. The Dianas weren't around for me to try.

He's so visible though. People latch onto his opinions, even if that's all they are.

That a issue with all reviewers that have impressionable fanbase. There are other YT/blog audio reviewers i disagree with but can't be open, because their fans take any criticism as a personal attack. Like my view that multi driver IEM's are just all marketing, a single driver all you need in a IEM. While loudspeakers need to be multi because of few reasons that IEM/headphones don't suffer from.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That a issue with all reviewers that have impressionable fanbase. There are other YT/blog audio reviewers i disagree with but can't be open, because their fans take any criticism as a personal attack. Like my view that multi driver IEM's are just all marketing, a single driver all you need in a IEM. While loudspeakers need to be multi because of few reasons that IEM/headphones don't suffer from.
Techquickie has 3.1m subscribers. Linus Tech Tips has 9.7m. There are leagues of differences between other audios reviewers and other Youtubers. It's a question of scale and audience.

At least 85 reviews in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTxKOv6vRC3S-ggGTyXd0WXI

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Where else do you post, btw?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Only there because head fi a nightmare to get a account. I moved here since ASR reviews posted there which is how i found here, Since the headphone sub is downvote central.
Head fi has a whole process to register? As in, you have to be approved?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Head fi has a whole process to register? As in, you have to be approved?

I'm not surprised after all the fiasco with @armir and Jason's blog at HF and more people are posting objective statements outside of their Science Audio subforum.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm not surprised after all the fiasco with @armir and Jason's blog at HF and more people are posting objective statements outside of their Science Audio subforum.
Do you mind posting links to that? I'm not familiar.

Newk Yuler

I'm so happy for you guys having so great an opportunity to spout and make yourselves feel superior to somebody. Rock on. :cool:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mind posting links to that? I'm not familiar.

I'm merely speculating, but if you can dig in to Jason's and Mike's HF blog you can probably find some comments in there regarding the measurements by him

I find it very funny when EQ is brought up. Suddenly the whole thread is full of people trying dodge the fact they wasted money on 15 different headphones that 2 with EQ can do. Not to mention how very touchy people get over that allot EQ there ER4/HD650's to suit there tastes?, My ER4SR handles a 6db boost which is the lower end of harman like a champ.

JustPoo

"So what are you trying to sell me today? Because so far we've got special fancy racks that hold a hundred times the weight you could conceivably want to put on them. That sounds dangerously like audiophile bullshit to me"

"Oh no, there's a point. This is about as crazy as someone could go for a setup of these headphones. You could totally make it work if you had, like, half the gear, but this is if you wanted to go with the most absolutely insane setup you could possibly think of, and cover every base"

"This is the most fancy pants DAC I've ever seen. It has an HDMI port with I²S on it, what the devil is that for?"

"It is a whole bunch of things that would take a long time to explain. But, the really short version of this is that it's an R2R DAC. There's two types of DAC, Sigma-Delta and R2R, and R2R are the nice ones"

1_I2_TSx-oXRVtEneSRQRxWQ.jpeg

Top Bottom