• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss sends LinusTechTips headphones and snakeoil

Belgarathian

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I also just watched this. When he said R2R I threw up a little.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looking at the spec and pictures I'm skeptical of their claimed performance!

So am I.

1575498182497.png

That figure alone suggests noise at 0.6uV with respect to the output @1.4V...

OP
Belgarathian

Belgarathian

Koeitje

Major Contributor
THD is pretty high....according to the specs my amplifier has the same THD.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I've watched one of his audio-related pieces. He's uninformed, at best. Whatever people may think, technical knowledge in other fields doesn't qualify you as a commentator on audio.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've watched one of his audio-related pieces. He's uninformed, at best. Whatever people may think, technical knowledge in other fields doesn't qualify you as a commentator on audio.
I don't think he positions himself as such. The other guy seemed a bit of a tool.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I don't think he positions himself as such. The other guy seemed a bit of a tool.
He's so visible though. People latch onto his opinions, even if that's all they are.

Tks

Major Contributor
The headphones might be nice, but the whole video is ruined by the probably mediocre, definitely overpriced electronic audiophile jewelry.
SagraDAC_front-1200-8-768x576.jpg

Where? That doesn't look like jewelry to me..

The moment I see visible screws on the front face of "high end" audio products, that is an instant disqualification from being jewelry. ESPECIALLY when the screws aren't something better finished, or at the very least, flush mounted with the surface of the faceplate.

If this was some professional interface. I'd understand, maintenance is easier and such. But these are supposed to be end of the line products. Lookin like some DIY with a slightly higher budget..

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Linus Tech Tips makes great videos about computer hardware, but ever so often they make some with silly cash splashing to get "the best" of something. They are clearly designed for nothing more than boosting traffic on the channel. Too bad the "expert" advisor in this one chose to focus on a lot of complete BS.

BTW, naming a DAC after La Sagrada Familia seem like an... odd choice to me. And those headphones really makes you look like a Cyberman from Doctor Who :p

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
SagraDAC_front-1200-8-768x576.jpg

Where? That doesn't look like jewelry to me..

The moment I see visible screws on the front face of "high end" audio products, that is an instant disqualification from being jewelry. ESPECIALLY when the screws aren't something better finished, or at the very least, flush mounted with the surface of the faceplate.

If this was some professional interface. I'd understand, maintenance is easier and such. But these are supposed to be end of the line products. Lookin like some DIY with a slightly higher budget..
I think it's part of the brand's aesthetic. It looks very different from other high end gear, and could be a visual differentiator if the consumer isn't familiar with DIY market products.

k3nb5t

Forum Donor
I was highly skeptical at the start of the video. I was incredulous by the end. The faked emotion set me off.

I checked out the links... Over $3,500 for a product that doesn't even include a power cable :facepalm: Naturally, they want you to pay an additional $1,200 for the "recommended" power cable. I feel like they just gave up pretending it's anything but a cash grab.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sure, I guess "cheap ass looking" is an aesthetic of sorts....

We've certainly seen plenty of that particular design aesthetic in ASR reviews.

1st prize: Ciunas
2nd prize: Geshelli
3rd prize: a crowded field, open to suggestions.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
We've certainly seen plenty of that particular design aesthetic in ASR reviews.

1st prize: Ciunas
2nd prize: Geshelli
3rd prize: a crowded field, open to suggestions.

Geshelli is totally #1.....that acrylic + neon lights looks like a DIY gamer PC or Japanese racer boy hotrod car.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For starters, you need to spend a bit of time in the gym , building up those neck muscles to wear those Abyss headphones for any extended period of time.

Those things weigh like bricks on the head !

And I honestly wasn't that impressed by them either despite it being connected to supposed TOTL gear , the Chord Dave and Blu MkII when I had a short demo on them at a shop a couple of months ago. I liked the Focal Utopia comparatively (at the same session) and further on, I actually like the Hifiman Arya and Jade II even more although they were not connected using the same TOTL sources.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For starters, you need to spend a bit of time in the gym , building up those neck muscles to wear those Abyss headphones for any extended period of time.

Those things weigh like bricks on the head !

And I honestly wasn't that impressed by them either despite it being connected to supposed TOTL gear , the Chord Dave and Blu MkII when I had a short demo on them at a shop a couple of months ago. I liked the Focal Utopia comparatively (at the same session) and further on, I actually like the Hifiman Arya and Jade II even more although they were not connected using the same TOTL sources.

Even with over a million taps, you still didn't hear the magic pixie dust sprinkled all over the sound from BluDave?

Top Bottom