• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss sends LinusTechTips headphones and snakeoil

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linus, his videos, and his voice are all banned from my house. How anyone could stand his videos enough--much less actually like them--to make him popular on YT is a mystery to me.

Linus, his videos, and his voice are all banned from my house. How anyone could stand his videos enough--much less actually like them--to make him popular on YT is a mystery to me.

YouTube is 85% 7 - 23 year olds, if pewdiepie can have over 10m subs then i can understand why LTT is 9.7m. Never understood most tech tubers allot of them have no idea what there talking about, enough to start drama.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
About Linus Tech Tips, how reliable are their tests of processing power and video cards? My impression was positive, but then I don't have any kind of background there apart from putting computers together (like most).

About Linus Tech Tips, how reliable are their tests of processing power and video cards? My impression was positive, but then I don't have any kind of background there apart from putting computers together (like most).

I dunno i haven't watched a PC based channel in ages i just watch gaming streams nowadays. The impression i got was he was good while other channels, were bit off putting if they got there tests wrong.

nerdoldnerdith

I'm not sure why Abyss is getting so much hate in this thread. I own their headphones as well as all of the other TOTL models like the Utopia, HE1000SE, LCD-4, and HD800S. The AB-1266 TC is clearly the best of the bunch by a noticeable margin. The other headphones have unique qualities for which they excel, but the Abyss is the only headphone that does everything perfectly. It's quite an achievement for a pair of headphones.

As for the electronics, I suspect that those are mostly overpriced for what they are. I'm sure that like most ridiculously expensive electronics they perform fine, but there's no reason to get them unless you're a part of the crowd that wants to spend the most money on a headphone setup. That's presumably why they exist. The headphones on the other hand are priced as high as they are because they are the best money can buy, or at least according to my opinion.

The unfortunate thing is that the parent company of Abyss, JPS Labs, is in the snake oil industry and sells $6000 speaker cables and $1000 USB cables. It's an obvious money grab that probably helps pay this bills, but it does hurt their brand.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some interesting copy on the page for that amp now (lets ignore the mangled spelling of connoisseur and the dubious use of "stout"). If we hooked this up to the analyser, reading this what do we think we would see? (Bold underlining is mine)

"A newcomer shows the world the true sound of music. Solid state dual mono amplifiers deliver stunning speed and clarity, with hard hitting bass and drums and beautifully smooth tube-like decay to cymbals and string instruments, on up beyond perception, the Formula S amp is tuned for the highest resolution music and headphones. Impeccable balance, smooth and clear to the source, excellent bass definition, simply put the dedicated headphone amp every conneseur seeks. And it's stout size takes up less real estate on your desktop.

Note from Joe@ABYSS:The Formula S amplifier was specifically designed for the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi and comes as a highly recommended mate to appreciate the headphones resolution and musical abilities. Given it's power and gain the Formula S will work it's magic on any full size high-performance headphone. The sonic signature of this amp can be best described as having a highly refined, detailed yet full sound with plenty of harmonic richness approaching that of a high performance tube amp without the heat. As amplifiers go, in my 30+ years in audio it's sonic signature is what everyone seeks as they spend too many years on the merry-go-round."

Well, its obviously a distortion box, and intentionally so. But also clear to the source?? o_O

boselover61

Some interesting copy on the page for that amp now (lets ignore the mangled spelling of connoisseur and the dubious use of "stout"). If we hooked this up to the analyser, reading this what do we think we would see? (Bold underlining is mine)

"A newcomer shows the world the true sound of music. Solid state dual mono amplifiers deliver stunning speed and clarity, with hard hitting bass and drums and beautifully smooth tube-like decay to cymbals and string instruments, on up beyond perception, the Formula S amp is tuned for the highest resolution music and headphones. Impeccable balance, smooth and clear to the source, excellent bass definition, simply put the dedicated headphone amp every conneseur seeks. And it's stout size takes up less real estate on your desktop.

Note from Joe@ABYSS:The Formula S amplifier was specifically designed for the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi and comes as a highly recommended mate to appreciate the headphones resolution and musical abilities. Given it's power and gain the Formula S will work it's magic on any full size high-performance headphone. The sonic signature of this amp can be best described as having a highly refined, detailed yet full sound with plenty of harmonic richness approaching that of a high performance tube amp without the heat. As amplifiers go, in my 30+ years in audio it's sonic signature is what everyone seeks as they spend too many years on the merry-go-round."

Well, its obviously a distortion box, and intentionally so. But also clear to the source?? o_O
They selling a ss amp with huge amount of distortion and charge a premium for it. Sounds legit

WickedInsignia

As amplifiers go, in my 30+ years in audio it's sonic signature is what everyone seeks as they spend too many years on the merry-go-round.
Abyss seems focused on proclaiming they are the endgame and their marketing reflects that strongly.

The most destructive thing to happen to consumer audio is the concept of endgame gear. At the level these headphone are performing, diminishing returns have probably reduced differences in sonic quality to be nigh on negligible. You could get away with pushing the same headphone at double the price....and in many ways it seems companies are managing that just by upgrading the build slightly and coating the same old driver in the rare metal of the month.

Take that with a pinch of salt though. This is mere speculation from someone firmly in the midfi realm!

WickedInsignia

I'm so happy for you guys having so great an opportunity to spout and make yourselves feel superior to somebody. Rock on. :cool:
Hell yeah we're going to smack down a predatory audio company that specializes in duping its customers with badly designed headphones and no objective evidence to back up their claims.

Poor Abyss. What are they gonna do with that measly $5000 they scored for a cable worth $15?

Last edited:
Top Bottom